GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Holding The Line @ 1.3Gs

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-20 | 04:22 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1A1
Sell me your current rotor set up? hahah.

Steve
Most serious track guys do not use carbon ceramic brakes. This is because of (1) if they overheat, which is very possible if you don’t have direct cooling ducts, they degrade very quickly, and (2) replacement cost. A good chunk of Girodiscs business is to replace Z06 and GT3 CCM disks with 2pc rotors.

Rafi
The following 4 users liked this post by RRRacing:
1A1 (10-05-20), 1wacko (10-05-20), Dre01SS (02-18-21), lobuxracer (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-20 | 06:02 AM
TARS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1A1
Sell me your current rotor set up? hahah.

Steve
Hahaha, good move Steve! Your way of upgrading your brake set up looks to be way smarter than mine, haha.
Old 10-05-20 | 06:07 AM
TARS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Most serious track guys do not use carbon ceramic brakes. This is because of (1) if they overheat, which is very possible if you don’t have direct cooling ducts, they degrade very quickly, and (2) replacement cost. A good chunk of Girodiscs business is to replace Z06 and GT3 CCM disks with 2pc rotors.

Rafi
I see your points Rafi. I've heard of some people moving away from CCMs. I'm sure that if used and maintained properly, they should be better in some respects.
Old 10-05-20 | 03:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

It's all about engineering the solution to work properly. I don't know anyone actually tracking carbon brakes without sponsorship and a need to shave fractions of seconds. They're awesome when right, but aftermarket isn't always what you'd hope. Way better when the manufacturer does it for you, and even then, nobody is excited about paying north of $10k for consumables, even sponsors.
Old 10-07-20 | 05:57 PM
TARS
Pit Crew

Special thanks to Lance and Rafi for the wise words on this regard and for hoping that I don't make that expensive and unnecessary mistake. I suspect that others like 1A1, 1wacko (what a great name) and other interested forum members, probably agreed as well. I don't need to learn that lesson on my own if I can trust that others have already done their due diligence on the matter. Thanks again for all your comments and observations.

It took me a couple of days to visualize and research a much better way to significantly improve my brake setup without going CC. I think its going to be a very special and interesting solution! I hope I can have it done by next spring, there might be some fabrication involved. I'll document the project and put up a thread for those forum members that find such things as interesting and appealing as I do.

Thanks to all,
Joe
The following 3 users liked this post by TARS:
1A1 (10-07-20), 1wacko (10-08-20), lobuxracer (10-07-20)
Old 02-16-21 | 06:44 PM
imdrax
Rookie

Originally Posted by TARS
Steve-

Find below the information you requested:

More Info: The Yokohama AVS F-15 Wheels are very high quality forged wheels and their only drawback is their price. They heat up less than the OEM wheels as the distance from the brake rotor to the wheel is obviously larger in a 20" wheel vs. a 19". So there is more "space" for the heat from the rotor to dissipate just a little more before getting to the wheel and through the wheel, to the tire. Of course the tire is getting most of its heat from the friction with the road. That was not my main reason to go for 20", but one small benefit that came to mind, there is a lot into this.

Most will not notice or care, but in my pursue of fitting as much R compound rubber in the wheel well as possible, I tried to maintain the inevitable net increase in diameter at least the same front and back. Surprisingly the speedometer stayed accurate somehow all the way to 160 MPH. The +.8" and the +.9" is the total net increase in diameter respectively. Divide that number by 2 and you get the radius, or the total height difference from the ground, from the OEM stance. Every GS-F comes with a "Reverse Rake" (Gangster Lean, ha) stance from factory and I didn't want to change it as my suspension is completely stock.

Fair warning! This set up just doesn't go in and that's it... Trying to fit a 315 tire in the back with a +30mm offset seems undoable and it kind of is... The car looks like it has spacers, but it doesn't. It might not look like it, but it took a lot of effort and patience and a few screw ups to get to where I am. The front was no joke either. I don't recommend this and regardless, most people going for a 20" wheel set up are more interested in improving the looks and will not need to fight for every mm of space like I did.

I put a lot of effort in these posts as I wish someone did the same for me in the past. I hope this information can help you or someone else out there.
thanks for all the great info. I’m looking to do a similar setup but I have slightly more aggressive offset in the front. What are your thoughts on running 285/30zr20 front on a 20x9+30 and 305/30zr20 rear on a 20x10+40?
Old 02-20-21 | 07:03 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by TARS
Wife took this unusual picture while running with my friend's ridiculous ZL1-1LE a few days back in FL. We had a phenomenal time! Long live the 2UR-GSE in USB-2! I liked her picture too much to keep it to myself. I hope some of you like it.

Have a good one.

I immediately recognized that track and corner when I saw this pic as I go to this road course on an annual basis.

I also learned an important lesson on this specific straightaway and corner as I ended up boiling the brake fluid during one of my laps and was forced to run off course with a non functional brake pedal.

​The lesson I learned was ensuring that the brake fluid is fresh before going to a track event as the brake fluid in my Lexus was over two years old which I believe lowered its overall wet boiling point over time. Live and learn!
The following 3 users liked this post by redspencer:
1wacko (02-20-21), lobuxracer (02-20-21), TARS (03-07-21)
Old 03-07-21 | 07:59 AM
TARS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by redspencer
I immediately recognized that track and corner when I saw this pic as I go to this road course on an annual basis.

I also learned an important lesson on this specific straightaway and corner as I ended up boiling the brake fluid during one of my laps and was forced to run off course with a non functional brake pedal.

​The lesson I learned was ensuring that the brake fluid is fresh before going to a track event as the brake fluid in my Lexus was over two years old which I believe lowered its overall wet boiling point over time. Live and learn!
Sorry for missing your post. What a great picture and thanks for sharing it! YES, turn 10 at The Firm is a little tricky b!#ch of a turn, LOL. A great lesson learned with brake fluid!
Old 03-07-21 | 08:21 AM
TARS
Pit Crew

A blue Supra, and a tricked out IS-350! Great taste my friend .

If you or anyone else were to be interested, I'll be returning to that specific track in 3 weeks, Saturday March 27th, for an Open Track fun day.

If we could get a few more people committed, we could maybe then have weight behind numbers to try to "shame" Lance into dusting off his IS-F and come down for a friendly good time, LOL. (Shots Fired, ).
The following users liked this post:
redspencer (03-09-21)
Old 03-07-21 | 09:06 AM
TARS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by imdrax
thanks for all the great info. I’m looking to do a similar setup but I have slightly more aggressive offset in the front. What are your thoughts on running 285/30zr20 front on a 20x9+30 and 305/30zr20 rear on a 20x10+40?
Sorry for missing your post. As your post sort of imply, the rear size that you have in mind should work just fine, and without any modifications. As a matter of fact, that rear size that you mentioned was always my ideal width to shoot for, but it was unavailable in the specific tire model that I wanted... That forced me into adopting a 315mm rear width in lieu of a 305 and that in turn, came with a whole new set of challenges that I had to overcome. It worked better at the end, but I would have preferred the 305, at least initially.

The front is going to be close at a +30 mm offset while using a 285! But... the fact that your 285mm tire would go into a 9" wide wheel instead of a 9.5", might be the thing that helps a lot at the end. I do believe that it will/could work out, but do manage your expectations. There is after all, some "flexibility" around the plastics surrounding the wheel wells, if it gets to that... Depending on what kind of owner you are, this might or might not be a problem. Experience says that it should work out within reason.
Old 03-07-21 | 01:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

That sounds like fun. I just need to do a bunch of work to the car right now and it's been deferred for other projects.
The following users liked this post:
TARS (03-07-21)