GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Semi-retiring in overseas. Thoughts on whether to export or sell my GSF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-20, 10:02 PM
sashi
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Semi-retiring in overseas. Thoughts on whether to export or sell my GSF?

Decided to move overseas after being laid off my job I've worked at for the past 12 years during this covid crisis. I was getting tired of this never ending rat race anyways.... Will list my house for sale next week with my realtor. But I am torn between whether I should sell my car before moving or if I should export it(will have to pay roughly $20k foreign custom duty tax plus another $3k or so for cargo shipping). The logical part of my brain tells me to sell it, but the sentimental side of my brain tells me to export it. What are your thoughts guys? Would you pay around $25k to export your GSF if you were in my shoes?

If not, how much should I sell my GSF for? Here are the specs:

2016 Lexus GSF
Nebula gray exterior/Red interior
Mark Levinson
HUD
Orange brake calipers
Only 19,350 miles(it was my weekend car)
Sirius XM radio glitch(lifetime "FREE" subscription)
All stock
No accidents
XPEL full body film(except roof and rear bumper)$5000 invested, 10 year warranty, receipt available
LLUMAR CTX 30 whole car ceramic tint$300
AIR80 windshield UV film$100
There are literally ZERO scratches or dents on the car. Absolute ZERO scratches and dents.
Driven mostly with ECO mode. Never tracked.
Just replaced the battery(3 year warranty available at Autozone)
Rear seats were never used.
Full maintenance records at LEXUS dealership.
Thats pretty much all I can think of at the moment..... Garage kept at all times... pretty much was a garage queen.....

Let me know your thoughts gents
Old 10-05-20, 10:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Only you can answer that question. You are being pulled by two opposite forces - your logical side and your emotions. As much as you want to keep the car, you must also take into account what the driving experience is where you are going. Are the roads conducive to a large American car? Also what vehicles are available in your new location? Will the GSF stay a weekend car? Can you stretch the GSFs legs? If you bring it with you, how long will you keep it? If the answer is at least ten years, then you talking about $2500 per year. That doesn't sound so bad now does it?

Driving a GSF in ECO mode - Really

Good Luck

Lou
The following 3 users liked this post by flowrider:
1wacko (10-06-20), anbark22 (10-06-20), designo (10-06-20)
Old 10-05-20, 10:39 PM
sashi
Rookie

Originally Posted by flowrider
Only you can answer that question. You are being pulled by two opposite forces - your logical side and your emotions. As much as you want to keep the car, you must also take into account what the driving experience is where you are going. Are the roads conducive to a large American car? Also what vehicles are available in your new location? Will the GSF stay a weekend car? Can you stretch the GSFs legs? If you bring it with you, how long will you keep it? If the answer is at least ten years, then you talking about $2500 per year. That doesn't sound so bad now does it?

Driving a GSF in ECO mode - Really

Good Luck

Lou
The public transportation will be awesome and quicker than using my car, so I probably won't even buy a car if I decide not to take my GSF. The roads and climates are geared towards BOF type of suv, so I might actually invest in a Toyota Prado maybe(never seen one in real life, but for half the price of a GX460, I might invest in one based on what I've read about). And yes, 95% of my driving time was on ECO mode. I no longer care about the performance side, only the sentimental attachment I have for this classic beauty... Thx for the feedback, but you still haven't answered my question. )
Maybe I should have done a "Poll"....
And what is my car worth anyways?
And it will stay a weekend car if I decide to export it. )

Last edited by sashi; 10-05-20 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-06-20, 12:02 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Okay so in a nutshell, you want to know what your car is worth.

I's say between 40k to 45k US bucks.
Old 10-06-20, 06:14 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

I think you could get $50-$55K for the car. Whether or not it is worth exporting....I don't know enough about where you are taking it. I drive mine pretty hard (after proper warm up, etc) and you need some open roads to enjoy the car when you drive it like that. For me, if the country had good roads, it would be worth paying the $$$$. Chances are you'll never find another GSF like the one you own since you know it has been well taken care of and maintained too. That's another thing to keep in mind.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
NinjaNap (01-17-21)
Old 10-06-20, 06:42 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Move to a Arizona and it will feel like a different country.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lend0:
Ay-nako (10-12-20), finny76 (10-11-20)
Old 10-06-20, 07:23 AM
ScatmanATL
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Tough choice, however if you were looking to sell the car, I agree with 1A1's estimate of $50-55k. I do random searches on Autotrader for GSF's and yesterday's result yielded 77 in the U.S., most of which were 2019-2020s. Your 2016 low miles, garage kept weekend car will probably fetch on the higher end of the estimate above if I was guessing.

If you made me choose between keeping and shipping, well, if you can comfortably afford $25k to ship, I say keep it.

Good luck!
anbark22 (10-06-20)
Old 10-06-20, 07:23 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Which country are you planning to move to? So for me I plan to move to Japan to retire and I will sell my now GSF in the US. Yes it has sentimental value but the GSFs in Japan come with more bells and whistles and I'll but one in Japan.

Last edited by NotnFsport; 10-06-20 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Adding
Old 10-06-20, 10:19 AM
Inertia
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NotnFsport
Which country are you planning to move to? So for me I plan to move to Japan to retire and I will sell my now GSF in the US. Yes it has sentimental value but the GSFs in Japan come with more bells and whistles and I'll but one in Japan.
Is there a price difference between Japan and US for the GSF?
Old 10-06-20, 05:34 PM
sashi
Rookie

I'll be going to Russia. So definitely the road conditions, traffic, and climate will not be favorable to a GSF. But Europe is next door for some nice road trips. They do have Lexus dealerships, so maintenance won't be a problem. If I remember correctly, I think Russia was only allocated 50 to 100 GSFs' only during a 2-year period, so my GSF will be even more rarer there than here. If I do decide to sell, I think I'll list it for around $58k based on its top condition and the PPF, along with the low mileage..... Anyways, its so damn hard to let go of my house & the GSF due to the emotions involved..... If I decide to go the route of selling my GSF, I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 10-06-20, 06:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,383 Posts

Look around the area where you'll be moving for places for service and repairs. Might be difficult to maintain there.
Old 10-06-20, 06:27 PM
sashi
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Look around the area where you'll be moving for places for service and repairs. Might be difficult to maintain there.
yah, pretty much it'll be an apartment underground garage queen there as well if I decide to export it.... The public transportation is too good there, so once again my logical part of my brain is telling me to sell it.... Will decide once I sell my house...
Old 10-06-20, 06:46 PM
blueNblack
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Also you may get a premium if you decide to sell it in the other country, depending on how rare it is. I know when I was considering a move to the Netherlands, they let you import one car there and one of my cars would have easily gone for 2x the value over there due to rarity. You can see it as giving someone overseas the opportunity to enjoy and appreciate the car.

If you're just looking for practicality though it seems like you would be better just selling it here. The used car market is quite hot right now.
Old 10-06-20, 07:31 PM
sashi
Rookie

Originally Posted by blueNblack
Also you may get a premium if you decide to sell it in the other country, depending on how rare it is. I know when I was considering a move to the Netherlands, they let you import one car there and one of my cars would have easily gone for 2x the value over there due to rarity. You can see it as giving someone overseas the opportunity to enjoy and appreciate the car.

If you're just looking for practicality though it seems like you would be better just selling it here. The used car market is quite hot right now.
The dollar is too strong right now vs the Russian Ruble, so that is out of the question...At least I have options here with the GSF being a hot item... Didn't know the GSF was fetching good money since the last time I was active in this forum was back in 2017 when I bought my GX460.
Old 10-07-20, 06:38 AM
NotFSport
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm going to put a damper on what some of the other people are saying; i don't think you should expect $55k for your car. It's beautiful and well taken care of, but i don't think you'll get a lot of premium for the PPF (more value than you would get for other mods relative to their price, but you wont be getting an extra $5k for that). a 2016 with 20k miles on it in good condition will probably go for around $45k-$50k.

You have a tough decision to make, but spending over 40% of the cars value to transport it to another country is a big pill to swallow. Sorry for your predicament.
kutmasta (10-08-20)

Quick Reply: Semi-retiring in overseas. Thoughts on whether to export or sell my GSF?