GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Winter ok or not ok?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 04:37 PM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter ok or not ok?

What is everyone thoughts on the GS F in the snow? I live in the north east where we get lake effect snow. Appreciate it. I have a car on hold and I’m wondering if I need to re evaluate which crushes me.
Old 11-12-20, 05:35 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I grew up in the snow and hate the stuff. You should be OK if you have a set of winter wheels equipped with a proper set winter tires.

Lou
Old 11-12-20, 05:42 PM
bonaf1de
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by topgun24fa
What is everyone thoughts on the GS F in the snow? I live in the north east where we get lake effect snow. Appreciate it. I have a car on hold and I’m wondering if I need to re evaluate which crushes me.
Hey topgun24fa, have you taken a look at these two videos (and comments)? They’re from a guy who’s driven the GS F through 3 winters. Seems the trick is to turn traction control off and engage snow mode to get out of snowy banks.

The following users liked this post:
Nunz (09-26-23)
Old 11-12-20, 05:57 PM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bonaf1de
Hey topgun24fa, have you taken a look at these two videos (and comments)? They’re from a guy who’s driven the GS F through 3 winters. Seems the trick is to turn traction control off and engage snow mode to get out of snowy banks.

https://youtu.be/jZEOmQIAvns
https://youtu.be/OJmcXNVxkJg
Never seen those before. Thanks for sharing. Man lot of power in that snow. Wonder if he had snow tires on it. Wish the video said that.
Old 11-12-20, 05:58 PM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

Never seen those before. Thanks for sharing. Man lot of power in that snow. Wonder if he had snow tires on it. Wish the video said that.
just saw the comments in his video that says he has snow tires.
Old 11-12-20, 06:01 PM
bonaf1de
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

just saw the comments in his video that says he has snow tires.
Hoped that helped your decision somewhat, and perhaps any other members on here who can comment.

It may be useful to search the IS F and RC F forums as well.
Old 11-12-20, 07:29 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

Get snow tires and you should seriously be fine.

Steve
Old 11-12-20, 07:52 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

It should be fine if you have snow tires. I drove through a sudden snow storm with the stock tires and I braked carefully and pressed the accelerator with just my big toe and made it home.
Old 11-13-20, 05:23 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm in MA. I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ tires installed for the winter. Mostly for the rubber that handles the freezing temps, not for snow. I have a 16 Yukon for the snow. But I take out the GSF on the dry days.

When I had an ISF, I would keep it in the garage for the winter with a battery tender. But now I feel that's unnecessary.
Old 11-13-20, 08:01 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying3
I'm in MA. I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ tires installed for the winter. Mostly for the rubber that handles the freezing temps, not for snow. I have a 16 Yukon for the snow. But I take out the GSF on the dry days.

When I had an ISF, I would keep it in the garage for the winter with a battery tender. But now I feel that's unnecessary.

When I don't start up my GSF for 2-3 weeks, the battery dies and I can't start it up. Definitely need a tender.
Old 11-15-20, 11:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying3

I run the A/S3+ all the time. It's the wife's car. The one thing I don't like about them, they get slick in the rain when they're at about 4mm tread left. To the point I have to really be patient, and I'm not very good at that.

I have them on my IS F right now because I went to visit my dad in Iowa in October, and it was 25 degrees outside while I was there - snowed the day before I got there. I'll leave them on until March to avoid summer tire chatter on cold days.
Old 11-21-20, 12:28 AM
blueNblack
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OP

I have winter performance tires for the GSF, the Pirelli Sottozero 3's. I installed them last year after one of my commutes to work I almost crashed trying to drive in 40F at slow speeds on the Summer tires.

My verdict? I'm not too impressed with the Pirellis and was even less impressed with my trip to Vermont. I went skiing with my wife and we got put to the real test in the ski resort parking lot. I did NOT feel safe on the snow, even at slow speeds (high gear, low revs) the car was slipping. They were mounted and pressured by Lexus and everything was done textbook. I would say they work great on cold pavement but in deep snow I was being outmaneuvered by your local SUV with AWD. Sure, getting around on paved roads would be fine and even in light slush. But the moment you're in deep snow or on local roads with fresh powder, you are in trouble.

Then again, it may have been the tires. After my first season one of the sidewalls already had a bump which got replaced under warranty. If I would do it again, I would have gone with Michelins.

Old 11-23-20, 06:27 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Just fine In the winter with Snow tires and drive accordingly. Nokian Hakkapaletta (sp?)) is a good winter tire. You cannot drive in the winter with the Michelin performance tires. It’s impossible on slippery snow or ice covered roads.
Old 11-23-20, 08:56 PM
blueNblack
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by winterturb
Just fine In the winter with Snow tires and drive accordingly. Nokian Hakkapaletta (sp?)) is a good winter tire. You cannot drive in the winter with the Michelin performance tires. It’s impossible on slippery snow or ice covered roads.
When I say Michelin, I'm referring to the Alpin tires. The other car I drive recommends the Alpin 4 with different specs than the summer tire setup. I wonder if the same is true with the GSF. I think Tire Rack just tries to go by the exact same specs when you do a search.

For example, for the Lotus Evora (not GSF), the factory manual recommends:
Tires
Type - Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Size - front 235/35 ZR19 - 91Y
- rear 285/30 ZR20 - 99Y
Recommended Inflation Pressures (cold)
Manual & automatic vehicles
- front 2.0 bar (29 lb/in²)
- rear 2.2 bar (32 lb/in²)
Winter Tires
Type - Michelin Pilot Alpin
Size - front 225/35 R19 - 88W
- rear 255/35 R20 - 97W
Recommended Inflation Pressures (cold)
- front 2.4 bar (35 lb/in²)
- rear 2.6 bar (38 lb/in²)
As you can see, the winter tires are not as wide and also get inflated much higher. I wonder what the Lexus manual recommends?
Old 11-25-20, 11:37 AM
MRonan83
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm in Kansas City which doesn't get a huge amount of snow but on the factory tires I would spin the tires with pretty much a dusting on the ground. The car was worthless in the snow. My GSF is a daily driver so I ended up putting Continental DWS06's on the car and it moves around town with a couple of inches no problem. For a daily driver, the Continental's made the car exactly how I would want it. Smooth and comfortable ride like a Lexus should be without feeling each and every bump in the road but then you still have the HP for having some fun.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!
The following users liked this post:
MR2ISH (01-26-21)

Quick Reply: Winter ok or not ok?