GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Views on Novel Headers, stock catback for GSF

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-21 | 06:18 AM
Sggsf
Driver School Candidate

Default Views on Novel Headers, stock catback for GSF

hi

Saw some videos on YouTube of the GS F with Novel headers but stock catback exhaust (link attached) difficult to be really sure from a video but....that sounds like what I want for my car.

Anyone here have this same set up?

- does it sound in real life as it does on the video (ie high pitch at high rpms?)

- does it sound different from stock at startup/idle/low rpms? (Trying to achieve the stock sound except when really going for it)

- any other thoughts and advice ?

Thanks in advance !

The following users liked this post:
WaterFish (07-12-21)
Old 01-23-21 | 04:08 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

That is my F!! Videos are hard to represent the true sound but I would say it sounds better in real life. On cold start it is louder then stock but not in an obnoxious way. In the lower rpm it is tame but still a hint of that higher pitch exhaust note.Yes I know I am biased but I love that setup. I love the sound of Novel headers ,stock mid pipe and Tanabe axle back.
The following 2 users liked this post by NotnFsport:
designo (02-01-21), IMAGINTHAT (01-23-21)
Old 01-23-21 | 06:17 PM
Sggsf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NotnFsport
That is my F!! Videos are hard to represent the true sound but I would say it sounds better in real life. On cold start it is louder then stock but not in an obnoxious way. In the lower rpm it is tame but still a hint of that higher pitch exhaust note.Yes I know I am biased but I love that setup. I love the sound of Novel headers ,stock mid pipe and Tanabe axle back.
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻I have been playing that video over and over 😅.
Hope you don’t mind a few more questions...

- With just the novel headers and stock everything else , is it possible/easy to eliminate any CEL?

- that high pitched sound with just the headers , could you actually hear it from inside the cabin (compared with totally stock headers).

- are there any ‘inconveniences’ you have to accept as compared with a totally stock car ..like unburnt fuel smell etc ?

cheers

Old 01-23-21 | 07:42 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

No exhaust smell, no inconveniences and no cel lights. Yes you can hear the higher pitch in the cabin vs stock headers. The headers come with mechanical 02 that goes in the midpipe. I never had a cel. It's a great upgrade and I think you'll absolutely love it.

designo (02-01-21)
Old 01-23-21 | 08:02 PM
Sggsf
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much!
NotnFsport (01-24-21)
Old 01-24-21 | 12:22 PM
PPB92
10th Gear

Hi,

I am very interested in running a similar setup. Would you mind answering a few questions:

- Does the car drone at all? I really do not want the car to drone and also like the way the car sounds below 4000 rpm stock..
- Could you perhaps do a video inside the car and at lower rpms to get a sense of the sound?
- Did the mod come with any difference in power delivery?

Thank you!
Old 01-25-21 | 08:45 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

I definitely can’t see headers adding any drone on a factory exhaust. Usually it’s the addition of an exhaust that adds the drone. Headers will definitely change the pitch and frequency of the exhaust but it shouldn’t add a “boomy” sound.
Old 01-28-21 | 04:19 PM
D1GP
Instructor

Can someone explain to me why you would go with this setup? Aftermarket header but stock exhaust? Why would you have a high flow header but mate it with a stock exhaust to restrict the flow?
Old 01-28-21 | 04:26 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by D1GP
Can someone explain to me why you would go with this setup? Aftermarket header but stock exhaust? Why would you have a high flow header but mate it with a stock exhaust to restrict the flow?
I’m not sure, but it’s not my money so whatever floats your boat.
Old 01-28-21 | 11:14 PM
Sggsf
Driver School Candidate

the higher pitched (but not really louder ) sound was what attracted me. But you’re right , it’s probably not optimal in ensuring a freer flowing exhaust.

Old 01-30-21 | 07:55 AM
Sggsf
Driver School Candidate

still on the topic of sound...I shared in the RC F forum these clips I put together of the LC500, my GS F and an AMG C63 on startup .

The LC500 and the AMG C63 sound so much more aggressive at startup. I hope the GSF can too !

Old 02-01-21 | 01:39 AM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NotnFsport
Your car sounds amazing. I have the Tanabe Exle back and am planning on installing these headers.
NotnFsport (02-01-21)
Old 02-10-23 | 08:37 AM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

I'll attempt to explain, at least for myself. I'm not looking for the MOST power, just a nice quality set of headers with great sound. I'm 35 and have 2 kids so I'm over the phase of "loud and most HP" phase of my life. I'm more about the experience of the drive now rather than knowing I make the most HP while hating my life for the drone in my cabin.

Also, are O2 wiring extensions required for these headers on the GSF?
Nunz (02-27-23)
Old 02-10-23 | 10:28 AM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Originally Posted by FilwithanF
I'll attempt to explain, at least for myself. I'm not looking for the MOST power, just a nice quality set of headers with great sound. I'm 35 and have 2 kids so I'm over the phase of "loud and most HP" phase of my life. I'm more about the experience of the drive now rather than knowing I make the most HP while hating my life for the drone in my cabin.

I am almost positive they are required. I'll let you know once mine get delivered, some day. Still waiting for mine after ordering them 10 months ago now.
Old 02-10-23 | 12:12 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Originally Posted by FilwithanF

02 wiring extensions are not required for Novel headers.
FilwithanF (04-03-23)

Quick Reply: Views on Novel Headers, stock catback for GSF