GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Thinking about getting a Lexus GSF with 130000 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 06:15 PM
rwong97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a Lexus GSF with 130000 miles...

Hey guys,

I’m considering getting a used 2016 Lexus GS F from a small dealership in Massachusetts. The mileage is kind of high (sitting at 131420 miles). It has a minor cosmetic damage on the exterior but doesn’t seem like a big issue. What do you guys think? Any input would help. Thanks guys!

here’s the carfax info
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JTHBP1BL2GA000683
Old 01-25-21, 08:42 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

Looks like it held up pretty well to the mileage. That’s good to know. The seats look great, don’t really see any interior flaws in the pictures.

My main concerns would be:

1. Maintenance history
2. How was the car used
3. How bad was the “minor” damage

How do you plan on using the car?
Old 01-25-21, 08:58 PM
ssiddiq
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I looked at the carfax.
No documentation of any service between 46000 and 130,000 miles.
Buy at your own risk.
Old 01-25-21, 09:15 PM
rwong97
Driver School Candidate

Maybe the maintenance was done at a local repair shop which might not be taken into account on carfax, I’m not sure. The minor damage was just a small scratch/dent on the rear, not too big of an issue. I’m having my mechanic checked on the vehicle on Wednesday and will keep you all posted.
Old 01-25-21, 10:26 PM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rwong97
Maybe the maintenance was done at a local repair shop which might not be taken into account on carfax, I’m not sure. The minor damage was just a small scratch/dent on the rear, not too big of an issue. I’m having my mechanic checked on the vehicle on Wednesday and will keep you all posted.
Personally, I’d be more comfortable at $30k for 130k miles and that service gap. It was probably serviced but it’s still risky if there’s no receipts for the 5k OCIs and ATF/TVD service. Given the short supply, if your mechanic green lights you, I’d offer something. Good luck!
Old 01-26-21, 12:41 AM
SocalGsf
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello what is the 5k oci? And how much is the tvd/atf service?
Old 01-26-21, 07:51 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Try to get the missing maintenance information. Maybe the dealer can get ahold of the previous owner.

Also, maintenance/service history sometimes shows up on Lexus drivers and not on carfax.
Old 01-26-21, 07:57 AM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SocalGsf
Hello what is the 5k oci? And how much is the tvd/atf service?
"Oil Change Interval". The GSF has a 5,000 mile oil change schedule.

I had my ATF/TVD drain/fill at the dealer a few weeks ago (way ahead of schedule). The ATF d/f was around $400 and the TVD d/f was like $60.
Old 01-26-21, 08:17 AM
SocalGsf
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking at what mileage did you do the service on the tvd/atf?
Old 01-26-21, 08:30 AM
504GSF
Intermediate

Besides looking like it needs a little love, any major maintenance that may be required might just make one at a higher price tag worth it.

If you’re going to need to jump in this and make it an every day car immediately I’d be more interested in looking at:

Tire wear
Brake life

As that will be probably a 2 grand hit whenever that’s due to be serviced. Along with any other 130,000 mile items that may need service.

I’d imagine the following items need replacing around there:

water pump
thermostat
fuel pump recall (if not already done)
spark plugs
coolant flush
trans flush
rear end fluid change
tvd fluid change
brake fluid flush

check for valley plate leak
check for cracked exhaust manifolds (ISF manifolds are known fail, not sure if that was remedied for this gen car)

And since it’s out of warranty I don’t know if it’s worth it if you can’t figure out how the car lived it’s past 130,000 miles.

Last edited by 504GSF; 01-26-21 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-26-21, 08:37 AM
rwong97
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 504GSF

Besides looking like it needs a little love, any major maintenance that may be required might just make one at a higher price tag worth it.

If you’re going to need to jump in this and make it an every day car immediately I’d be more interested in looking at:

Tire wear
Brake life

As that will be probably a 2 grand hit whenever that’s due to be serviced. Along with any other 130,000 mile items that may need service.

water pump
thermostat
spark plugs
coolant flush
trans flush
rear end fluid change
tvd fluid change
brake fluid flush

check for cracked exhaust manifolds (ISF manifolds are known fail, not sure if that was remedied for this gen car)

And since it’s out of warranty I don’t know if it’s worth it if you can’t figure out how the car lived it’s past 130,000 miles.
I understand. Another issue is that according to the carfax report, the vehicle put up 90k miles in less than a year, I’m not sure if that’s an issue I should be worried about because it definitely is not normal driving so much in one year.
Old 01-26-21, 08:51 AM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SocalGsf
Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking at what mileage did you do the service on the tvd/atf?
I had mine done at 39,000 miles. It's "lifetime fluid" but you can go see some DYI videos and the diff fluid was pretty dirty in one of those videos and he did it well before 39,000 miles.

Some people say they do it every 20k. The mechanic at my dealer said he does every 60k on his RCF. It was worth it for the peace of mind and the shifts are a lot smoother.

Last edited by NinjaNap; 01-26-21 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-26-21, 08:56 AM
SocalGsf
Driver School Candidate

Cool thank you. I'm actually at my 20k.
Old 01-26-21, 10:23 AM
504GSF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rwong97
I understand. Another issue is that according to the carfax report, the vehicle put up 90k miles in less than a year, I’m not sure if that’s an issue I should be worried about because it definitely is not normal driving so much in one year.
That’s impressive to say the least. That would explain why the L badge on the grill looks so hazy. I just don’t see how it could be possible without it being literally driven across the United States all year.
Old 01-26-21, 11:40 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 504GSF

Tire wear
Brake life

water pump
thermostat
spark plugs
coolant flush
trans flush
rear end fluid change
tvd fluid change
brake fluid flush

It would be interesting to take a look at an older, high mileage GS F or RC F and see if the valley plate leak is there.
The following users liked this post:
504GSF (01-26-21)

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a Lexus GSF with 130000 miles...