What are your thoughts on this GSF

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 06:38 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What are your thoughts on this GSF

Hi

There is a 17 GSF that I came across, with very low miles (Less than 3k), which has this history on the carfax. I’m questioning that it is a track car.

The Lexus service history shows
1) BRAKES FRONT AND REAR PADS AND ROTORS HAVE GOTTEN HOT AND LEFT HOT SPOTS ON BOTH ~|~BRAKES FRONT AND REAR PADS AND ROTORS HAVE GOTTEN HOT AND LEFT HOT SPOTS ON BOTH FRONT AND REAR ROTORS ~|~USE AND WEAR ~|~REPLACED FRONT AND REAR PADS AND ROTORS , PARTS WERE SUPPLIED

2)
300 MILES
04/2018

Service: CHECK BATTERY BATTERY LOW STATE OF CHARGE
Description: CHECK BATTERY BATTERY LOW STATE OF CHARGE ~|~CHECK BATTERY BATTERY LOW STATE OF CHARGE ~|~VEHICLE SITS AND BATTERY HAS A LOW CHARGE ~|~CHARGED AND TESTED BATTERY...BATTERY TESTED GOOD AFTER CHARGE

3) The recall done.

Other than that, no other history.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by CPMD; 02-03-21 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-02-21, 07:02 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

No doubt in my mind that this is a track car. Its known on this forum that the majority of the Lexus performance track cars were registered in Missouri. Additionally, this car has had brakes already replaced at 300 miles. On top of everything, the brake issue was for hotspots, which is a common issue with heavily tracked cars.

Whether or not it is worth it to purchase is up to you, these are well maintained cars.
The following users liked this post:
IMAGINTHAT (02-02-21)
Old 02-02-21, 07:29 AM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Definitely a Lexus track car. Interesting that it is a '17 MY. Has it been used for multiple years ?
Old 02-02-21, 07:40 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Originally Posted by IMAGINTHAT
Definitely a Lexus track car. Interesting that it is a '17 MY. Has it been used for multiple years ?
Thanks for your help guys.

It’s weird, based on the Lexus maintenance history, it just showed the 2 services done in ‘18, and then the car fax showed car was purchased 12/20. Is it safe to assume that Lexus had the car until 12/20 and it was tracked until then?
Old 02-02-21, 08:00 AM
CPMD
Advanced

I’m going to pass on this car. I’m not going to spend that kind of money on an abused tracked car.

My friend who has access to auctions said that the grade condition is 1.8 which means it’s in very bad shape. So this confirms me not buying this car.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by CPMD; 02-02-21 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-02-21, 08:32 AM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CPMD
I’m going to pass on this car. I’m not going to spend that kind of money on an abused tracked car.

My friend who has access to auctions said that the grade condition is 1.8 which means it’s in very bad shape. So this confirms me not buying this car.

Thanks for your help.
Go to NAAA.com and look up vehicle grades.
Thanks
Old 02-02-21, 09:13 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Originally Posted by anbark22
Go to NAAA.com and look up vehicle grades.
Thanks
yes I looked at this, thank you for sending me the link.

the sales person confirmed it has structural alteration/damage so another reason why I am not pursuing this car. Interestingly, this damage was not on carfax.

Last edited by CPMD; 02-02-21 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-02-21, 04:27 PM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

What section on the NAAA.com can I look for vehicle grade? it seems to be a members only website. Please point me to the right place. Thanks.
Old 02-03-21, 09:28 AM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Brakes changed at 300 miles means not only is it a tracked car but it’s been abused. Stock Brembos lasted me 19,000 miles (never tracked) between me and the original owner. What’s the price like? $67k-ish?

Keep looking IMO.
Old 02-03-21, 03:25 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Probably tracked. I have over 20k miles and still on original pads/rotors.
Old 02-03-21, 05:40 PM
mg44
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, hard pass.
Old 02-04-21, 12:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

As always, YMMV, but ~20k miles for fronts and ~40K miles for rears is normal for street use. 300 miles is without question track duty.

Price would have to be good and it would absolutely have to be L Certified.
The following users liked this post:
CPMD (02-05-21)
Old 02-05-21, 05:51 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Thanks for the advice guys...I have already decided to do a hard pass in this car like the day I asked the question.

Based on selected preliminary pictures, as well as information I obtained from auction sources, before the dealer tries to hide some of its defects, it’s got racing seats, cracked windshield In many areas, dents and scratches all over, carbon lip is already torn up and shredded at the front, some weird huge metal mount on the dash, weird metal protrusions on the rear bumper...let’s just say a car with 130k+ miles looks better. And that’s from the vague 5 pictures I got. If the exterior looks like that, I can only imagine what the mechanicals look like. This car looks looks like it was tracked and thrashed by 16 year olds, and then it when through 7 tornadoes. It’s not worth considering. Let’s just say I would buy it for $5K (5 thousand USD). I don’t care about the mileage, the car needs a lot of work, and it will surely be problematic in the future.

Just to help out fellow members, this car is being sold at Houston wholesale in NM. I hope this helps a member. I just saw the pictures they posted after cleaning the car up, and they have avoided all the problematic areas and did not take pics of those areas. I hope this helps.

Last edited by CPMD; 02-05-21 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-05-21, 06:19 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by CPMD
This car looks looks like it was tracked and thrashed by 16 year olds, and then it when through 7 tornadoes.
It most likely was thrashed by inexperienced drivers if it was a LPDS car. Not too sure about the tornado part though

I personally would just totally skip, I'm glad you did.
Old 02-05-21, 06:50 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yri
It most likely was thrashed by inexperienced drivers if it was a LPDS car. Not too sure about the tornado part though

I personally would just totally skip, I'm glad you did.
if you saw the auction and before pics, you would have said a tornado hit it .

this was not a LPDS car. It has racing seats still installed, with attachments to the backseat which still has stabilizing bars installed for stability. I believe I saw some sponsor stickers on the car too.

LPDS does not install aftermarket racing seats and hardware into their cars. This car was well abused beyond LPDS standards.

Last edited by CPMD; 02-05-21 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on this GSF