GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Change my mind, please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21 | 05:44 AM
ilax028
Driver School Candidate

Default Change my mind, please!

I've read a bunch of cross shopping threads and looked at the quarter mile sticky and I'm disappointed. This car looks amazing but even after headers and exhaust it still seems kind of slow. Sounds great, looks great, handles pretty good but slow.

I have G37 sedan and am about to pull the trigger on a new(to me) car. I am cross shopping damn near everything, Model 3, M3, M5, C63, E63, S5, S6, S8, Panamera, and the list goes on. I like to mod cars but I am also a late 30's dad so despite all efforts I have gotten more practical. Gross.

My G37 sedan will run mid 13's in a quarter mile. After looking at the quarter sticky most cars seem to be around a 13 flat. Looking around, the key power mods seem to be headers, exhaust and tune. The HP gains look to be healthy considering that this is an NA motor but it doesn't look like it actually gets the car going any faster. Again sounds incredible which is part of the equation but really I want to know that once I get bored with the car, there are things I can do to reinvigorate it and myself. I'd hate to regret this in a couple years and end up getting rid of it. Also I'd hate to spend a lot more money on this car only to have it feel just like my last car. That's no fun.

Tell me I am wrong! Please, I want this to be the car because the rest could be maintenance nightmares but I finally reached a point where that isn't a deal breaker anymore. I can stomach a couple high bills from time to time and while not very fun, its also not going to kill me especially if the trade off is a fantastic ride. Also I am not expecting a 700HP monster although some of the cars above can be that. I like this car because its different and not a depreciating brick (there is the dad in me talking again) but I don't want to sacrifice the speed and fun. If I cared more about that, I would buy a camry or something else blah.

I'm looking forward to modding another car but its not fun if those mods don't actually get me anything but more noise. Also I can't go forced induction because those prices are crazy and my wife would physically harm me despite her being half my size.

I want to be in your club! Just flame me and tell me I didn't dig deep enough in the threads to find out headers and exhaust puts me in the 12's pretty easily.

Old 02-03-21 | 05:54 AM
Fatbarney
Driver

Trust me, as you get older and busier with kids, work, etc, things like reliability, comfort practicality become more important. Never understood the obsession with outright speed. These cars are plenty fast for public roads and even my Accord V6 DD can dust most cars.
The following users liked this post:
CAKETOWN (02-12-21)
Old 02-03-21 | 06:22 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Read this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-take-2-a.html

There's speed if you really want it. IMHO, it's not all that big a deal, but I already have other toys to play with. I'm not concerned about making the wife's grocery getter into a hot rod.
Old 02-03-21 | 06:31 AM
carbonguards
Former Sponsor

I have two young kids and I like to push the car a bit when they’re not with me. I’ve had the car for about two months and I’m excited to drive it each day. The power is plenty and I’ve only seen one other GSF (stock) in my area so it feels super exclusive. I think the car looks better than any comparable sedan on the road including the m5 and e63s.

I went back and forth between the GSF and a couple others you mentioned. I came from a GS350 and initially I had the same reservations as you because there’s not a ton of performance modifications for this car. I ended up choosing the GSF because I love the exterior, it has decent stock power and the interior quality was great. I also really liked how the visual mods and a catback exhaust could change the car so much. You can add headers for more power and there are tunes available as well as a supercharger.

When I was buying the car, I was certain it would just be a matter of time before I supercharged it. As I’ve spent more time in it, I’ve decided I don’t see a supercharger in my future. It’s not about the price tag or the potential issues with reliability. The car is truly special as is and a test drive won’t do it justice.
The following users liked this post:
Gsfgoon (02-03-21)
Old 02-03-21 | 06:45 AM
specie
Driver

I’d test drive as many of the cars as possible. The model 3 fits a lot of your requirements.
Old 02-03-21 | 07:24 AM
serturbo
Rookie

Well not going with platforms that have FI setups significantly narrows your options ... I was also cross shopping between f80M3, F10 M5, C63AMG, and S7 for a bit . But ultimately the somewhat rarity of the GSF (big plus for me since I also managed to get 10th anniversary )it’s NA V8, and proven reliability is what did it for me .. sure those German cars spec sheet wise outperform the GS F, but i recently took the car on a light canyon run and was so happy with how capable it was .. In the end it’s the overall driving experience that I get from this car that makes this the obvious winner for me and it’s 467 HP is plenty fast for me .. I’m not looking into getting into any street races or live my life a quarter mile at a time lol..
The following 3 users liked this post by serturbo:
ScatmanATL (02-03-21), Teutonic (02-03-21), Yri (02-03-21)
Old 02-03-21 | 08:45 AM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by specie
I’d test drive as many of the cars as possible. The model 3 fits a lot of your requirements.
Why don’t you test drive one? Reading articles and road reviews won’t do it justice.

Also, what about the Hellcat or Demon?
They’re rare.
Thanks
Old 02-03-21 | 09:47 AM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

First thing, I crossed shopped a lot of the cars you did. Go take a look at the M5 forums and that should scare you away quick. The e63s is a car to lease or drop after warranty - it’s not a long term relationship. The GSF is dirt to maintain. Dealer oil change costs me $115. An e63s oil change at a dealer in my area is $450.

Second, I’m a car guy and I don’t take pics of any of the cars you are cross shopping when I see them in public. I catch at least two people a month taking photos of my GSF (today actually). I get double that in compliments because the GSF doesn’t scream “douchebag” either.
The following 3 users liked this post by NinjaNap:
Gsfgoon (02-03-21), ilax028 (02-03-21), VictorZG (07-09-21)
Old 02-03-21 | 09:52 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

I am probably the same age as you, closer to 40 now..have 3 little kids, one of them loves the GSF other ones miss the ls460 I had. Most cars that I was cross shopping (m5/e63/rs7/Model s) would beat me on a straight line. GSF is not the quickest car out there but its super fun to drive. Few months ago we had a small get together and my friend had his new Tesla s p100d there. So the guys wanted to drive the Tesla and GSF. At bbq everyone couldn't believe how fast the Tesla was but said the GSF was insanely better inside and they loved the sound (I have a GT Haus exhaust) even the Tesla guy agreed. One of the guys also commented the Tesla is like watching your favorite movie on mute...Anyways folks preferred the GSF + they didn't even know this car existed, no one had seen it

I absolutely love the GSF and was pretty much in the same boat as you..since 2016...I used to have a ISF which when I had my 2nd kid got traded in for a new highlander(lasted for few weeks). The GSF is very realiable / Basically the same as the ISF (drivetrain)and they have over 200K and still running strong, the GSF has also had one of the best interiors the nav/joystick is crappy but can be easily upgraded to CarPlay. it would probably would also keep its value better than any other car, if you get too bored slap on a RR supercharger.

As people mentioned its fast enough, if you want to go really fast get a new Tesla, or pick up a GTR etc. I don't like most American brands as their interior is just not there, apart from CTS but honestly.

Good luck!!

I do have a LX for when as a family we are driving though.

Originally Posted by ilax028
I've read a bunch of cross shopping threads and looked at the quarter mile sticky and I'm disappointed. This car looks amazing but even after headers and exhaust it still seems kind of slow. Sounds great, looks great, handles pretty good but slow.

I have G37 sedan and am about to pull the trigger on a new(to me) car. I am cross shopping damn near everything, Model 3, M3, M5, C63, E63, S5, S6, S8, Panamera, and the list goes on. I like to mod cars but I am also a late 30's dad so despite all efforts I have gotten more practical. Gross.

My G37 sedan will run mid 13's in a quarter mile. After looking at the quarter sticky most cars seem to be around a 13 flat. Looking around, the key power mods seem to be headers, exhaust and tune. The HP gains look to be healthy considering that this is an NA motor but it doesn't look like it actually gets the car going any faster. Again sounds incredible which is part of the equation but really I want to know that once I get bored with the car, there are things I can do to reinvigorate it and myself. I'd hate to regret this in a couple years and end up getting rid of it. Also I'd hate to spend a lot more money on this car only to have it feel just like my last car. That's no fun.

Tell me I am wrong! Please, I want this to be the car because the rest could be maintenance nightmares but I finally reached a point where that isn't a deal breaker anymore. I can stomach a couple high bills from time to time and while not very fun, its also not going to kill me especially if the trade off is a fantastic ride. Also I am not expecting a 700HP monster although some of the cars above can be that. I like this car because its different and not a depreciating brick (there is the dad in me talking again) but I don't want to sacrifice the speed and fun. If I cared more about that, I would buy a camry or something else blah.

I'm looking forward to modding another car but its not fun if those mods don't actually get me anything but more noise. Also I can't go forced induction because those prices are crazy and my wife would physically harm me despite her being half my size.

I want to be in your club! Just flame me and tell me I didn't dig deep enough in the threads to find out headers and exhaust puts me in the 12's pretty easily.
The following 2 users liked this post by UZ214:
anbark22 (02-03-21), ilax028 (02-03-21)
Old 02-03-21 | 11:04 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

One thing that should be mentioned is that the GSF was never made to be a straight line, 1/4 car.

A hellcat has a 1/4 mile time of 10 something seconds but does terribly at a road course but the GSF would smoke it on a road course but killed at the drag strip.

Additionally, I was able to do 12.9 @113mph at a well prepped strip with a completely stock GSF, so if you were to add headers, you'd easily be in that range.

The following 3 users liked this post by TrevorR:
anbark22 (02-03-21), ilax028 (02-03-21), Yri (02-03-21)
Old 02-03-21 | 11:09 AM
ilax028
Driver School Candidate

Demon's are well into the $100k mark now and only two doors. Hellcats seem to be everywhere these days but their handling just doesn't do it for me.

In regards to a test drive, the rarity of this car makes that quite challenging actually. There is one in my price range about 2 hours from my house which would take a pretty significant chunk of my day to go down and back plus test drive.
Old 02-03-21 | 11:20 AM
ilax028
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for this. A good buddy of mine has a P90D and while I do think its a beautiful car, I feel exactly nothing driving it. That plus his kid has broken the rear door handle no less than 6 times in his 2 years of ownership.

Old 02-03-21 | 11:26 AM
ilax028
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NinjaNap
First thing, I crossed shopped a lot of the cars you did. Go take a look at the M5 forums and that should scare you away quick. The e63s is a car to lease or drop after warranty - it’s not a long term relationship. The GSF is dirt to maintain. Dealer oil change costs me $115. An e63s oil change at a dealer in my area is $450.

Second, I’m a car guy and I don’t take pics of any of the cars you are cross shopping when I see them in public. I catch at least two people a month taking photos of my GSF (today actually). I get double that in compliments because the GSF doesn’t scream “douchebag” either.
You sir have given me the most compelling argument today by far. I am a life long car guy and your picture comment nailed it. I see M's and AMGs all day long and never give it a second glance (unless its an e63 wagon) but I've seen exactly 1 GSF in person I followed the poor guy for a quarter of a mile to get a better look.

After reading the rest of the replies here is my take away: This car isn't just about going fast and likely isn't the best at any one thing but as a package it stirs the emotions of the owner and provides enjoyment through all facets of ownership. This isn't a car that wins on paper with numbers but wins your hearts through its intangible qualities and character.

That sound about right to everyone?
The following 7 users liked this post by ilax028:
DavidL (02-05-21), Gsfgoon (02-03-21), mr2dave (02-04-21), NinjaNap (02-03-21), ScatmanATL (02-03-21), Teutonic (02-03-21), Yri (02-04-21) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-03-21 | 11:47 AM
cp44
Driver

Its more than fast enough for our DMV area and I know cops in both our states, especially in VA, they don't play around with speeding. Its reliable and will last you for years and won't leave you stranded. The GSF is the last of the great V8s, you won't be bored with the sound and quick response. If you want to go fast, there are supercharger kits for it. Hopefully I am right, eventually the GSF will go up in value after Toyota/Lexus and rest of the car manufacturers ditch the big blocks.
Old 02-03-21 | 12:20 PM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ilax028
You sir have given me the most compelling argument today by far. I am a life long car guy and your picture comment nailed it. I see M's and AMGs all day long and never give it a second glance (unless its an e63 wagon) but I've seen exactly 1 GSF in person I followed the poor guy for a quarter of a mile to get a better look.

After reading the rest of the replies here is my take away: This car isn't just about going fast and likely isn't the best at any one thing but as a package it stirs the emotions of the owner and provides enjoyment through all facets of ownership. This isn't a car that wins on paper with numbers but wins your hearts through its intangible qualities and character.

That sound about right to everyone?
If you’re ever hung up on bragging rights, the GSF is still the most powerful Japanese sports sedan ever made.

Additionally, read about the elite level engineers (“Takumi”) that monitor quality in these cars. To be at that level you need 25 years of experience and “rigorous training” that add up to “60,000 hours of skill refinement” according to Lexus. See “Lexus Origami Cat Test”. Lol

Plus, the GSF was track-born at Fuji speedway. Definitely feel that in the car’s spirit.

Quick Reply: Change my mind, please!