GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Wireless Car Play

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21 | 02:22 PM
RATEDF
Driver

Originally Posted by evan2k
i have the beat sonic usa one and its fantastic, you might have issues with these eBay ones, in and out cut sounds, disconnection, quality etc.. just remember you guys have an 80k car when new.. dont be a cheapass.
Exactly. 80K and Lexus needs to step up it's infotainment center game. Software update for CarPlay.
At the moment only these vehicles have CarPlay, https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...rplay%E2%AE%3F
2018+ RC models have it, but GS doesn't.

Originally Posted by damns0n
agreed. which is why i'm not entirely sold on beatsonic's either because the audio is still passed through aux.
Same. And I believe it's wired only at the moment.
The following users liked this post:
damns0n (03-24-21)
Old 03-25-21 | 08:30 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

agreed. which is why i'm not entirely sold on beatsonic's either because the audio is still passed through aux.
please clarify and expand on. Audio passing through aux? Does that mean no Stereo sound?

thankyou in advance
Old 03-25-21 | 02:37 PM
damns0n
Driver

from the information I've seen on this and other forums, it seems that aux has its pitfalls when compared to CD or USB. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but I do have the Mark Levinson system so I have some invested interest in making sure I get the best audio possible when looking for CarPlay solutions. I'll try to corral the information together, but this caught my attention when someone else mentioned it on this forum and got me searching "mark levinson aux lexus" on google and soaking up any relevant information on the subject matter.
Old 03-25-21 | 05:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The aux input is stereo for sure. I have a BT device plugged into my aux input so I can use my phone for music in the IS F. The only problem with it was a ground loop issue that I solved with a filter. Probably wouldn't have that problem at all with these later model cars.
RC51TOFUMA (03-26-21)
Old 06-04-21 | 08:57 PM
gixxerjp
Driver

I have a grom vl2 in my ISF and we have the beat sonic in my GSF. Both work great the beatsonic is only apple or Android carplay. The grom Does way more, but at the end of the day my wife only uses carplay and I use the grom for more apps. Not sure how the cheaper one does the grom and the beats are the same price.
Old 06-05-21 | 09:36 AM
DavidL
Driver

Default AliExpress CarPlay installed

Found a cheaper one. Looks to be the same. There's a few coupons available if it's your first order on aliexpress. My cart says $176.02.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...c003e2rME&mp=1
Originally Posted by DavidL
Thanks for the link. I just purchased one and it arrives ~4/17/21.
No problem. Let me know how it goes! I'm still on the fence on this but I'll likely get it some time next month
I finally received the unit and as others pointed out communication with the AliExpress vendor is slow and painful.

I installed the unit a few weeks ago which went fairly smooth. I used a few YouTube videos including one that show dropping the glovebox so I could run wire and place the control unit alongside the transmission, just under the carpet.

I have two remaining issues that I am working through.
1: after backing up and the camera displays, shifting to drive leaves me with a black screen
2: the “joystick” movement on screen requires manual “Recentering” to move to the next selection.

I am not an audiophile so the audio quality issue others have been talking about with the AUX connection is not a problem. I use streaming services from my phone which already uses compressed audio data.

has anyone else tried this or similar CarPlay units from AliExpress?
Old 06-05-21 | 10:33 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Default Aux connection

Using the Aux connection. Is it still stereo sound ?
Old 06-06-21 | 08:50 AM
DavidL
Driver

Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMA
Using the Aux connection. Is it still stereo sound ?
yes, it is stereo
RC51TOFUMA (06-06-21)
Old 06-14-21 | 10:39 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Default Android Auto Module

Which is the Best Android Auto module to go with? Regardless of the price-Beatsonic-Grom-Naviks
thankyou in advance
Old 06-14-21 | 10:44 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMA
Which is the Best Android Auto module to go with? Regardless of the price-Beatsonic-Grom-Naviks
thankyou in advance
i believe grom is the best, that’s what a friend has and he loves it, i will be getting one myself for mine
RC51TOFUMA (06-14-21)
Old 06-16-21 | 12:14 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

i have it, best mod ever. Looking to put in my LX too

Originally Posted by blackisF08
i believe grom is the best, that’s what a friend has and he loves it, i will be getting one myself for mine
RC51TOFUMA (06-16-21)
Old 06-19-21 | 04:45 AM
choose
Driver School Candidate

Is the grom wireless for Android Auto?
Old 07-10-21 | 04:39 PM
DavidL
Driver

Originally Posted by DavidL
I finally received the unit and as others pointed out communication with the AliExpress vendor is slow and painful.

I installed the unit a few weeks ago which went fairly smooth. I used a few YouTube videos including one that show dropping the glovebox so I could run wire and place the control unit alongside the transmission, just under the carpet.

I have two remaining issues that I am working through.
1: after backing up and the camera displays, shifting to drive leaves me with a black screen
2: the “joystick” movement on screen requires manual “Recentering” to move to the next selection.

I am not an audiophile so the audio quality issue others have been talking about with the AUX connection is not a problem. I use streaming services from my phone which already uses compressed audio data.

has anyone else tried this or similar CarPlay units from AliExpress?
So I was at the point of giving up today. I couldn't get any clear communication from the aliexpress vendor and although my #2 issue I've become accustomed to moving the joystick now, the #1 issue above was a critical issue that needed to be resolved. I resided myself to ripping the whole thing out and sending it back and with the dash apart again, I figured now was the time to try any other combinations to get this thing to work. I removed all connections and started over from the beginning using this as a guide:

With my car being a 2016 and having a 12.3" screen, I set the dip switches to 235 on and all others off. Made all the connections in step 2. When I got to step 3, this is where I found I had inadvertently connected the harness to the back of the display and since I have a joystick, this was in error. So, only the LVDS loop through cable connection was needed plus the two connections as shown on the back of the head unit.

Ai wen through all the menus I had change and set them back to their original settings. Now upon starting the car, carplay comes on, my apps work as expected with audio and calling fully functional. Shifting into reverse, now I get the regular 2/3 video of the backup camera, plust the 1/3 park assist on the 12.3" screen. Shifting to drive the carplay comes back and all is good.

For anyone trying this, the unit I received is physically different than the Carlint discussed here and elsewhere, specifically, mine is the same shape and color metal box but the wireless connection is on the same side as the single LVDS connection. I can't seem to find any picture of this configuration anywhere (aliexpress, amazon, google images, here, etc.). For general information, my unit reports the following versions:

I believe the Carlint reports a HW version of "Lexus" where mine is "Lexus2".
If anyone has details on this version I have and where I can get any updates it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-18-21 | 10:16 PM
NoMSGadded
Driver School Candidate

Default Link to downloading updates ?

Hi , was wondering if there was a link where all the updates are stored ?

I seem to be on an older build

Old 08-09-21 | 08:21 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Deleted ………

Last edited by dojoman; 08-10-21 at 08:58 AM.