GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Most likely going to buy a GS F

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 10:59 PM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

I’ve had my 16 for several years now. The lack of torque is forgotten once you’re in the top end.

I’ve also had German sports sedans and no matter the top tier performance...every morning was fingers crossed that they wouldn’t screw me over. The GSF is the first car to inspire 100% confidence which is why I’ll never sell it. That’s worth more to me than a second quicker to 60mph.

Last edited by NinjaNap; 04-06-21 at 08:36 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by NinjaNap:
blackisF08 (03-21-21), mr2dave (03-24-21), ScatmanATL (03-21-21)
Old 03-22-21, 05:20 AM
jdennis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove a 2020 with 4k miles on it yesterday (priced at almost $79k). I liked it, but wasn't wowed... But didn't have the best place to test drive it. It does feel much lighter than it is. I did not turn traction control off, so not sure how much more fun it would be with it off... Power - basically the same impression I had 2.5 years ago when I drove a '16, good, decent sound, with a very nice kick once I guess the secondary intake opens? I was impressed with the trunk size (again, this would be my daily). Impressed with the comfort level in sport+ mode over rough roads. It's honestly tough coming from my ~600 foot lbs of torque E63S wagon that just had scary acceleration from the instant you hit the throttle until you run out of road/guts... and which would plant so well into and out of corners, etc. But, I really want Lexus reliability.

My current thinking is $60k+ is too much for me to spend on this. If I were going to spend that, I would likely focus back on a 2016 E63S Wagon. For mid $40s though, I think this is what I want (obviously it would be pretty much have to be a 2016). I wouldn't want an AMG wagon that I could get for that. Btw, my wife liked the car, but again wasn't wowed, but I think that was more about the price mostly.

I know this is the GS-F forum, but is there anything else anyone thinks I should consider? Btw, the used car dealership surprised me with the exotics they had in the showroom, not what I was expecting at all, lol.
Old 03-22-21, 05:47 AM
JerryR13
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 53 Posts

Honestly, I think the GSF is a unicorn. Yes there's more power per dollar available in the mopar lineup. Yep, more power and luxury w MB / BMW. The rare mix of power / luxury / Rareity / RELIABILITY....well there's the GSF. I DD mine during the summer months and I'm always in S S+ mode. Is it uninspiring in normal mode below 4k rpm... YEP. But I think thats the point. Whatever mood your in that day the F delivers. Not an option in the MB. That car just has SNOT and is always one slip of the foot from breakin the rear loose. As I'm typing I just remembered the new Cadillac CT5 blackwing. May be worth a test drive but it'll come in over budget.

I think the resale market prices tell the real story. F'S hold their value nicely for good reason. Everyone knows it'll be on the road and not in the shop. That smart $ buys a Lexus. Add headers / midpipe / exhaust and you can truly improve the low end torque. It wont feel like MB grunt but cdrtainly gets the job done.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryR13:
jdennis (03-22-21), ScatmanATL (03-22-21)
Old 03-22-21, 04:53 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jdennis
I test drove a 2020 with 4k miles on it yesterday (priced at almost $79k). I liked it, but wasn't wowed... But didn't have the best place to test drive it. It does feel much lighter than it is. I did not turn traction control off, so not sure how much more fun it would be with it off... Power - basically the same impression I had 2.5 years ago when I drove a '16, good, decent sound, with a very nice kick once I guess the secondary intake opens? I was impressed with the trunk size (again, this would be my daily). Impressed with the comfort level in sport+ mode over rough roads. It's honestly tough coming from my ~600 foot lbs of torque E63S wagon that just had scary acceleration from the instant you hit the throttle until you run out of road/guts... and which would plant so well into and out of corners, etc. But, I really want Lexus reliability.

My current thinking is $60k+ is too much for me to spend on this. If I were going to spend that, I would likely focus back on a 2016 E63S Wagon. For mid $40s though, I think this is what I want (obviously it would be pretty much have to be a 2016). I wouldn't want an AMG wagon that I could get for that. Btw, my wife liked the car, but again wasn't wowed, but I think that was more about the price mostly.

I know this is the GS-F forum, but is there anything else anyone thinks I should consider? Btw, the used car dealership surprised me with the exotics they had in the showroom, not what I was expecting at all, lol.
It seems like you're after power. GSF is definitely not the car for you if you care about power.

Also, the used 2020s are ridiculously priced. For reference, I bought my 2020 BRAND NEW in October 2020 for $77k.

Mid 40's will get you a higher mileage 2016 with a sketchy carafe history and they get scooped up pretty quickly.
Old 03-23-21, 06:34 PM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

If you’re coming from the E63 S I think you will be very disappointed in the GSF. Not just because of the weak 472 HP but because THE 10 YEAR OLD INTERIOR! I can’t stress enough how much of a let down lexus has been with their outdated interior/tech.
Old 03-24-21, 03:16 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryR13
I had To research what " brake hold" was exactly and that is a cool feature. Best we get on Lexus ( that I'm famiar with ) is a temporary brake hold. Push brake pedal to floor and it beeps and holds for approximately 3 seconds. 100% makes more sense to just hold until gas pedal depressed.
Unfortunately, the GSF does not have the brak hold feature which is available on the regular GS models.
Mine is a '16 and does not have it although the button is there. My manual clearly states that this feature is only available on the other models.
Old 03-24-21, 04:16 AM
Fatbarney
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
Unfortunately, the GSF does not have the brak hold feature which is available on the regular GS models.
Mine is a '16 and does not have it although the button is there. My manual clearly states that this feature is only available on the other models.
my 18' has it.
Old 03-25-21, 04:54 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbarney
my 18' has it.
Are you talking about the parking brake?

I think the feature they're referring to is different than what you're referring to. My 2016 RX350 had the brake hold feature but my 2020 GSF does not.
Old 03-25-21, 05:40 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

my 2019 has it too, i had It on my LS460 on the steering wheel. I hardy use it though as I am never coasting like I used to in my LS. The button in the GSF is in a weird spot next to the ignition button. see below

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Are you talking about the parking brake?

I think the feature they're referring to is different than what you're referring to. My 2016 RX350 had the brake hold feature but my 2020 GSF does not.
Old 03-25-21, 05:49 PM
dreamG
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 44 Posts

My 2020 has it. Same location by the ignition button.
Old 03-26-21, 04:39 AM
jdennis
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if we're talking about the same thing with "brake hold". On my amg wagon, at a stop I would push the brake hard when at a complete stop (at a stop light), and then I could remove my foot from the brake. It would release when I either pressed the brake again, or when I accelerate away. Is that the same thing? What would the button do?
Old 03-26-21, 06:06 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

yes it holds the brake and you can remove your foot from the brake pedal lets say when come at a red light...once you push on gas the car moves, pretty common on lexus cars. Seems like the same thing you had in the amg

the button just activates this feature..

quite handy in stop and go traffic

I wonder if we're talking about the same thing with "brake hold". On my amg wagon, at a stop I would push the brake hard when at a complete stop (at a stop light), and then I could remove my foot from the brake. It would release when I either pressed the brake again, or when I accelerate away. Is that the same thing? What would the button do?
Old 03-26-21, 08:51 AM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

I use it all the time. But you need to be careful to confirm that the yellow "hold" LED is lit before releasing the brake. For me, there's a short delay between the time the car is fully stopped and this comes on.
Old 03-26-21, 09:04 AM
jdennis
Driver School Candidate

Nice, yeah, having it makes you really miss not having it! Awesome to hear.
Old 03-26-21, 09:42 AM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice, yeah, having it makes you really miss not having it! Awesome to hear.
Yes, I really miss it. My daughter’s E-Class and my previous C-Class Mercedes had it and I used it all the time. Quite convenient. It was not available on my’16 GSF. It’s the one feature I miss the most.

I pondered many times upgrading to a ‘19 or ‘20 but debated if it was worth the price for that feature and the adjustable suspension.

Quick Reply: Most likely going to buy a GS F