GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Most likely going to buy a GS F

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 06:29 AM
jdennis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Most likely going to buy a GS F

I'm on the search for, and most likely will buy, a GS F. This will be my daily driver (not used much until covid restrictions lift, but commuting/etc once things relax).

We've been down to 1 vehicle (GX 460) since my 2014 AMG E63 S wagon was totaled due to flooding by hurricane Eta. I loved that car, but also a huge Toyota/Lexus fan. I test drove a 2016 GS F when shopping for my last car, but after driving an E63 S Wagon, was slightly disappointed by the lack of low end torque, the acceleration, piped in noise. Actually talked myself into the AWD as well. I also considered a Tesla Model S (acceleration on par with my AMG wagon in ludicrous mode), and Audi S7 or RS7.

While I loved all of those things, even though it was a certified pre-owned, I got hit with almost $5k in suspension repairs within the first 6 months of ownership that the CPO program wouldn't cover (or possibly the local service manager wouldn't submit it for). Otherwise, the dealership service experience was good, although crazy expensive maintenance. I ended up doing the last couple oil changes myself. New (lower end - c class or GLA) mercedes loaner cars, etc. It was to the point where I was going to do any/all maintenance I could on the car myself, but still, the idea of repairs really scared me.
One thing I absolutely loved was the rarity of the AMG wagon. Tons of people asking what the hell is that just from the stock exhaust sound. Also, I drove it for 2+ years, putting 15k miles on it, and insurance paid me essentially what I paid for it (minus repair costs).

So definitely revisiting the GS F. Going to try and test drive a 2020 locally. Been watching tons of youtube reviews/etc of both the GS F and IS F. Would still consider the IS F, but I think it would just be a little too small for my family, and would like the slightly newer tech. I'm slightly disappointed with Lexus tech lagging other brands. Infotainment by a ton, safety features (360 camera for example), the all speed cruise control and brake hold not available until 2018 I think on the GS F?

Also not sure how long I will keep whatever car I end up getting. If I'm keeping it only a year or two, the IS F might be better... One reason to go with Lexus is reliability, so does that mean I want to keep it forever? If so, definitely no AMG or M cars. But honestly I'm undecided. My budget is up to $70k, and I don't want something that will depreciate much, and like I said, it'll be a daily driver. In a year, I will have a garage with a car lift, making any home auto repairs much easier. But, I'll have much less $

For recent history, I had a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo from 1995 until it was totaled in 2018 with ~130k miles on it, handed my bought new 2008 Camry Hybrid over to my now 21 year old son in 2018, and his car was totaled in an accident early last week with over 200k miles. So I tend to keep cars awhile.

Would love to hear people's thoughts and comments.
Old 03-19-21, 07:19 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

If you loved the rarity of the AMG wagon, you'll love the rarity of the GSF and on a number of occasions when I start it up with people nearby, they turn to see what's making that exhaust sound and are presumably shocked its from a Lexus.

The all speed cruise control is only in 18+, that's correct. As far as other tech, people often refer to it as outdated but to me it's a huge unknown of how long fancy tech in other luxury cars will pass the test of time, as in durability/reliability.

With the GSF, LC500, you can't look at the numbers such as HP and 0-60 time, it is outclassed in those variables but then again, its not a drag racing vehicle. If Lexus wanted those numbers, I'm sure they could've done it.

Check out this YouTube video.

Everything he says about the LC500 applies to the GSF.
Old 03-19-21, 09:46 AM
jdennis
Driver School Candidate

I'll add that I have a 2.5 year old as well as newborn son, so a car seat capable backseat is a must. My wife's GX will be our "trip" vehicle, but need to be able to handle 4 of us no problem in whatever I get.

So part of my dilemma is do I search for a 2016 somewhere around the $42k or less? Go with a 2017 as close to or lower than $50k as possible? There are a few in the $60-65k range for sale, but then I know there are at least 3 new 2020s still at dealers I've found, and probably could get one close the $70k.

Honestly, I'm probably leaning towards the staying close to the low $40s. Then, is it smarter to get an IS F to drive for 1-2 years, and THEN move on to a 2018+ GS F when they come down a bit in price. Ugh.
Old 03-19-21, 09:57 AM
jdennis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrevorR
If you loved the rarity of the AMG wagon, you'll love the rarity of the GSF and on a number of occasions when I start it up with people nearby, they turn to see what's making that exhaust sound and are presumably shocked its from a Lexus.

The all speed cruise control is only in 18+, that's correct. As far as other tech, people often refer to it as outdated but to me it's a huge unknown of how long fancy tech in other luxury cars will pass the test of time, as in durability/reliability.

With the GSF, LC500, you can't look at the numbers such as HP and 0-60 time, it is outclassed in those variables but then again, its not a drag racing vehicle. If Lexus wanted those numbers, I'm sure they could've done it.

Check out this YouTube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx240ULjw5w&t=495s

Everything he says about the LC500 applies to the GSF.
Thanks for that video, it's one I had not yet watched! An LC is barely within my budget as well, but the unusable rear seat is a disqualifier, but will definitely consider the same with the GS F.
Old 03-19-21, 10:18 AM
NotFSport
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Low 40's will be tough unless you really budge on the year and mileage. If we exclude anything without a clean history, the only ones you'll find for low 40's will be 2016's with over 60k miles. Not that it's a bad thing, but there just aren't many there.

The sweet spot seems to be the 50K range. They're rare, so getting your color combo is a chore, but if you're willing to travel (or pay for shipping) you should be able to find a 2016 or 2017 with under 40k miles for about $50k. You'll find a few other threads recently talking about current market value, but I'm in Florida as well and I'm primarily focused on 16 and 17 models from a southern state and that's what I've been seeing for the past year or so. You could get a clean 2017 non-CPO with 25k miles for like $52k-ish these days.

The IS F definitely isn't an option if you want to comfortably transport 4 humans. If you're over.....let's say 5'4" then the front seat backs will be almost touching the rear seat bottoms, leaving no legroom. Some people have had no issues with certain brands of car seats, but that can be a challenge in and of itself.
Old 03-19-21, 10:20 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I had a ISF was a great car, owned it for 3 years then with 2 infants the back seats were useless, even though I always had DD SUVs I always drove the F. I Fast forward 10 years.. and I had my eyes on the GSF in 16 when it came out. Now with 3 kids I don't know if I wanted the GSF anymore. Most of my friends have German cars and couple of them have the Tesla P models but they aren't always happy they have something going on with their cars one way or the other. I wanted to get the Audi Rs7 or S8 even had a deal worked out on the rs7 local dealer but the issues that creep up(posted in the Audi forum ) kept me at bay. I do like the new RS wagon now but again its the same dilemma... My ISF had zero issues, the few LXs which.i have owned and took cross country trips are as dependable as they come. 500k+ miles 0 issues We don't fly anywhere we drive / I am talking about east coast to west coast. Also owned a GX luxury for a year, but it was little smaller ended up selling it.

Back to your question I traded in a 15 LX570 (I had 2) for a new 19 GSF that my NJ dealer found for me in MD...yes I looked for a deal for over a year and could never find them. They were super rare (in fact I have yet to seen one on the road in person). In hindsight I should have kept the LX and traded my RX, anyways we came back from a 2.5 hour trip in the new GSF (wife +3 kids) pretty comfortably. My daughter was little over a year old so 1 rear facing car seat and 2 kids as big as their mom now, everyone was very comfortable. I take the GSF out any chance I get, even the wife likes it which is shocking as I have a cutback exhaust on it.

My point being ISF is a great car more raw and fun / but GSF is much much more comfortable for longer drives for family and the 16 and other years don't drive much different at least I can't tell. I also love the GSF interior, the seats are very comfortable and its a perfect everyday car. I have put almost 13k on the car since I bought it because I drive it the most among the other cars I have and it fit a lot of stuff in the truck, has the child seat in the rear and my boys love it.

So if I was in your shoes I would pick a clean 16 GSF under 50 possibly certified or some warranty, or a 10+ ISF for about 25. You can add Grom to any GSF and get CarPlay, I won't worry about radar or Lane assist etc because I never use them as the car is so much fun to drive.

And to add no one knows what kind of car GSF is, I get so many thumbs up and people just ask me at gas stations what car is this (I guess because of exhaust) and they tell me it looks amazing.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by jdennis
I'll add that I have a 2.5 year old as well as newborn son, so a car seat capable backseat is a must. My wife's GX will be our "trip" vehicle, but need to be able to handle 4 of us no problem in whatever I get.

So part of my dilemma is do I search for a 2016 somewhere around the $42k or less? Go with a 2017 as close to or lower than $50k as possible? There are a few in the $60-65k range for sale, but then I know there are at least 3 new 2020s still at dealers I've found, and probably could get one close the $70k.

Honestly, I'm probably leaning towards the staying close to the low $40s. Then, is it smarter to get an IS F to drive for 1-2 years, and THEN move on to a 2018+ GS F when they come down a bit in price. Ugh.
Old 03-19-21, 11:26 AM
jdennis
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys so much for your input, definitely helps! And (not having driven an ISF before) the usability of the rear seats were exactly my issue with that route - it was just a "can I make that compromise for a year" type situation, or maybe even a $25k fun car plus an older LS460 for a daily. I don't think my wife would go for that.

The good news is I am (or better be) done having kids. I have 2 older boys in college/grad school in addition to my young boys... but the young ones will be riding in whatever car for basically it's life.

I also am somewhat upset with myself that we didn't opt for an LX for ~ $10k more when we bought our GX (2 years old) about 4 years ago. And the GX is due for new shocks @ 100k miles, but that's a whole other dilema.

Last edited by jdennis; 03-19-21 at 11:28 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 03-19-21, 12:17 PM
JerryR13
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 53 Posts

Im personally very satisfied with my GSF 16' for all the reasons already explained here in great detail. The only thing i have to add here is that my 16' most definitely has radar cruise and lane assist. Unless I'm misunderstanding what exactly it is your talking about.

Just upgraded my steering wheel last night. If you zoom in on the wheel instruments you'll see on the R hand side my lane assist controls. And I know 100% it has radar cruise.

The ONLY difference after 17' was adaptive suspension. Which for me was not worth the $ last year when I purchased my F.

Last edited by JerryR13; 03-19-21 at 01:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
designo (03-24-21)
Old 03-19-21, 12:42 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryR13
Im personally very satisfied with my GSF 16' for all the reasons already explained here in great detail. The only thing i have to add here is that my 16' most definitely has radar cruise and lane assist. Unless I'm misunderstanding what exactly it is your talking about.

Just upgraded my steering wheel last night. If you zoom in on the sheel instruments you'll see on the R hand side my lane assist controls. And I know 100% it has radar cruise.

The ONLY difference after 17' was adaptive suspension. Which for me was not worth the $ and in difference in pricing last year wben i purchased my F.

What he said!! My ‘16 has radar cruise but not all speed radar cruise. It only kicks in at or above 30 mph. Yes, it has lane assist. It’s the total package for me. Checks all my boxes. Furthermore, I can’t remember the last time I raced someone from a stoplight. I too am in Florida so everything is flat and straight. However, don’t try to tailgate me on a winding ramp entrance or exit onto the Interstate. You’d be thoroughly disappointed. You’d see nothing but dust and my taillights. Ha ha. Hope this helps.
The following 4 users liked this post by anbark22:
blueNblack (03-29-21), designo (03-24-21), Gsfgoon (03-20-21), JerryR13 (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 12:54 PM
NotFSport
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-16-19-a.html

Lots of good info there about what they changed with the lane keep assist. Spoiler alert: not much.
Old 03-19-21, 01:03 PM
jdennis
Driver School Candidate

I loved my all speed radar cruise control on my amg wagon for stop and go traffic... Also the brake hold. I live in St Petersburg, and commute about 8 miles with ~10 stop lights between me and work, so it's not mandatory, but sure would be nice to have. Lane keep (which it also had) I cared much less about, and think I would be happy with the '16 version
JerryR13 (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 01:13 PM
JerryR13
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jdennis
I loved my all speed radar cruise control on my amg wagon for stop and go traffic... Also the brake hold. I live in St Petersburg, and commute about 8 miles with ~10 stop lights between me and work, so it's not mandatory, but sure would be nice to have. Lane keep (which it also had) I cared much less about, and think I would be happy with the '16 version

I had To research what " brake hold" was exactly and that is a cool feature. Best we get on Lexus ( that I'm famiar with ) is a temporary brake hold. Push brake pedal to floor and it beeps and holds for approximately 3 seconds. 100% makes more sense to just hold until gas pedal depressed.
Old 03-19-21, 01:28 PM
jdennis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JerryR13
I had To research what " brake hold" was exactly and that is a cool feature. Best we get on Lexus ( that I'm famiar with ) is a temporary brake hold. Push brake pedal to floor and it beeps and holds for approximately 3 seconds. 100% makes more sense to just hold until gas pedal depressed.
It's crazy how far ahead the MB S class (which I did not have) is ahead of most manufacturers in some technology. My E class was really somewhere in between a normal E class and an S class in the tech... I just am too worried about the cost of keeping one long term, and new they are out of my price range. My car was ~$110k new, I bought it 4 years old for ~$60k, and insurance gave me about the same when it was 6 years old (a sedan would have dropped another $10k). The newer model (2018) is still outside of price range.
JerryR13 (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 03:40 PM
JerryR13
Pit Crew

Agreed! I've been down that road owning MB, Audi, BMW and it's always the same ol story. Awesome off the lot and then a rather large out of nowhere expense would appear killing my love and joy. I now own 3 Lexus and 1 Toyota.
Old 03-20-21, 02:46 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Depending on how much your focused on driving, I don't really have an issue with the infotainment. Is it Android Auto? No, but I can switch between radio, mpg, etc rather easily. I got used to the joystick quickly and use the voice controls a lot for calls or to change the radio (usually turn the radio down and listen to the exhaust). The in car GPS is a back up for me and just use Google Maps off my phone.
Gsfgoon (03-20-21)

Quick Reply: Most likely going to buy a GS F