GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Tech stream remote start

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-21, 05:38 PM
AtomsilGSF
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tech stream remote start

Has anyone successfully turned on remote start using tech stream without having the enform service? I ordered a tech stream kit so I can program a smart card key and saw in the IS and RX forums, an individual did accomplish this. He however does not remember the steps he did to complete this task. Let me know if you have done this! I don’t mind doing a write up with pictures once I know for sure the exact steps.
Old 06-30-21, 11:09 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

i don't believe anyone has done this yet or i remember reading that option wasn't available in tech stream, now if you install an aftermaket remote start or alarm system with remote start you can do remote start from the oem key fob
Old 06-30-21, 11:47 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Based on this discussion, I am guessing your cars in the US do not have remote start as a standard factory option?
When you press the lock button on your fob twice, and then a long-press the 3rd time.... your hazards don't flash and turn the car on?
Old 06-30-21, 11:52 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
Based on this discussion, I am guessing your cars in the US do not have remote start as a standard factory option?
When you press the lock button on your fob twice, and then a long-press the 3rd time.... your hazards don't flash and turn the car on?
correct, it doesn’t work unless you are subscribed to enform and pay for it, but that’s going away soon also since 3g services will be done
Old 07-01-21, 05:34 AM
AtomsilGSF
Driver

Originally Posted by blackisF08
i don't believe anyone has done this yet or i remember reading that option wasn't available in tech stream, now if you install an aftermaket remote start or alarm system with remote start you can do remote start from the oem key fob
Guess I’ll be experimenting very soon here lol. If I do somehow figure it out, I’ll do a write up to let y’all know.
The following 3 users liked this post by AtomsilGSF:
AdamKTexas (07-01-21), DavidL (07-01-21), mr2dave (07-05-21)
Old 07-01-21, 02:22 PM
AdamKTexas
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Subscribed! Thank you for testing it out. Let us know how it goes and any DIY information would be great!
Old 07-01-21, 03:29 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I installed the Lexus RES system on my 2014 ES350 and then initialized it with techstream. 60 bucks on sale was worth it.
Old 07-02-21, 02:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,053 Likes on 2,455 Posts

FAQ says there is an annual $65 subscription fee for RES. Did you find a way around that? If not, might as well have Enform.

I have a full license for Techstream. I'll poke around, but I don't recall seeing anything for remote start when I've been doing GS F stuff with it.
Old 07-05-21, 03:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

So I hit up the GS F with Techstream and discovered there is a separate ECU for remote start. It is disabled by default, and Techstream says it's either not present or not responding when you try to connect to it without Enform being enabled. Apparently there is a software switch Enform sets to enable this feature. The Smart Access menu has an option for Remote Start which immediately got my attention, but it was already turned on and toggling it did nothing. So, for the US models, there is no simple way to get remote start without Enform being enabled. It occurred to me it might be possible to do something if my laptop was not connected to the Internet, but I didn't try this. I doubt it would help, much like trying to update the ECM with Techstream. There is no way for a private individual to use Techstream to update ECM firmware - you must have a dealer code to access the update file, and the only way to get that is to have a dealer login (likely there is a way for an independent to do this, but it requires setting up a special profile with TIS and I am sure this isn't available to me since I'm not in the auto repair business). Not true, just figured out the trick to it. Time for some other updates...

Wish it weren't so, but this is what I found when I dug into it. If someone has additional information or an alternate approach (hack), I'm game for trying.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-05-21 at 04:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
DavidL (07-13-21), mr2dave (07-05-21)
Old 07-05-21, 08:49 PM
AtomsilGSF
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So I hit up the GS F with Techstream and discovered there is a separate ECU for remote start. It is disabled by default, and Techstream says it's either not present or not responding when you try to connect to it without Enform being enabled. Apparently there is a software switch Enform sets to enable this feature. The Smart Access menu has an option for Remote Start which immediately got my attention, but it was already turned on and toggling it did nothing. So, for the US models, there is no simple way to get remote start without Enform being enabled. It occurred to me it might be possible to do something if my laptop was not connected to the Internet, but I didn't try this. I doubt it would help, much like trying to update the ECM with Techstream. There is no way for a private individual to use Techstream to update ECM firmware - you must have a dealer code to access the update file, and the only way to get that is to have a dealer login (likely there is a way for an independent to do this, but it requires setting up a special profile with TIS and I am sure this isn't available to me since I'm not in the auto repair business). Not true, just figured out the trick to it. Time for some other updates...

Wish it weren't so, but this is what I found when I dug into it. If someone has additional information or an alternate approach (hack), I'm game for trying.
🙌. Can’t wait to see this!

Last edited by AtomsilGSF; 07-05-21 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-11-21, 09:28 PM
AtomsilGSF
Driver

Any update @lobuxracer ?
Old 11-14-22, 12:54 PM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

What’s the story on this man?? You left us hanging. 3G was shut down, I want to see if the dealer can re-enable remote start on my 2016 RX so I can do it from my key fob.
I wouldn’t even have this problem if I updated my credit card that was used to pay for Enform up until they shut it off. My wife did, and her remote start works via key fob
Old 11-14-22, 05:13 PM
dreamG
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
I can remote start just as you described and do not have an active Enform subscription. Is it true the 18-20 models are unaffected?
Old 11-14-22, 06:04 PM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamG
I can remote start just as you described and do not have an active Enform subscription. Is it true the 18-20 models are unaffected?
Around 2019, Lexus started giving 10 ten years of safety connect for free. Safety connect allows you to remote start with the key fob.
Old 11-14-22, 08:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by AtomsilGSF
Any update @lobuxracer ?
No update on remote starting. I have not tinkered with it for some time mostly because we don't see a need for it and I have my Supra apart with new Ohlins and headers sitting in the garage waiting for the Supra to run so I can take the IS F apart. I doubt I'll get to this again any time soon.