GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Creaking noise in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-21, 12:34 PM
sacd
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Creaking noise in the rear

I didn’t find any past posts on this issue. My 2020 GS-F is 8 months/5000 miles and I am hearing creaking sound every time I turn or hit any bump.
The dealership kept the car for 4 days but couldn’t figure it out - they are waiting for Lexus engineer/rep to visit them (waiting for 3 weeks now).

Has anyone had this issue. I am not sure if it’s suspension or frame. The car drives fine, but not sure if I will break something. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-05-21, 12:47 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 304 Likes on 209 Posts

It could possibly be the suspension spring on that side of the car. There is an insulator that goes over the spring that may have come loose or fallen off. When that happens, you get metal on metal contact and may hear something every once in a while.

Steve
Old 08-05-21, 04:04 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I have not had this in my GSF, but I second the spring issue for I had one go bad on my ISF and it drove me and the dealership nuts trying to figure out.

Not sure how it might be in the GSF with variable suspension, but just throwing the spring possibility out there too.
Old 08-05-21, 11:58 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I've had that since day one ( used car purchase ), the dealer never solved the problem.
I even replaced my springs with lowering springs and the sound is still there. I might check the insulator issue mentioned above.
Old 08-06-21, 06:25 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the very same issue. 2020 GSF, around 9,000 miles. It is definitely coming from the rear suspension, and occurs over every little bump. Oddly enough, on very warm days the noise does go away, which happened to be the day I brought it in to the dealer. I'll be following to see what they say on your end, it certainly is annoying.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-21, 06:59 AM
sacd
10th Gear

Thanks all for the replies. Surprised to see folks having the same issue - sounds like a bad mattress! Didn’t expect that kind of issue from the car.
Lexus has spent 3 weeks waiting for the engineer/rep - they are going to take a look this week.

There have been a common issue with rear knuckle on GS forums (greasing helped stops the noise). Not sure if that is what is causing the creaking. Will keep you all posted.

Last edited by sacd; 08-06-21 at 03:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
F1nALMSfan (08-06-21)
Old 08-12-21, 01:57 PM
sacd
10th Gear

Update on the creaking noise issue - the Lexus engineer that visited the dealer identified it as “body creak” and not from suspension. So they are keeping the vehicle for a week to pull out the rear interior to pinpoint the source of the noise. Will know more next week.

I am not sure if this can be a safety issue.
Old 08-12-21, 10:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...hing-else.html

Take a look at this thread. Might be something similar in the GS. Not 100% sure at all, but sounds similar to the issue you are experiencing. The fix is on page 2 post #44.
Old 08-13-21, 02:24 AM
sacd
10th Gear

Lobuxracer, did you mean post 17, with the picture of the thigh brace?

Here is the post: “So I don't have the car back quite yet but didn't want to leave you all in suspense. The body shop gave me a call today. One of the forum solutions was CORRECT, it was the "thigh" brace (under the very front of the back seats) that was making the sound (I've attempted to illustrate in the attached image). Absolutely no frame cracks or anything, just a little looseness and rubbing from a bolt-on part. They tightened it up with no need for cutting and welding or whatever at all - phew. The service advisor test drove the car and verified the sound is gone and the cabin is whisper quiet.”

I will let the Lexus rep know.
The following users liked this post:
F1nALMSfan (08-13-21)
Old 08-13-21, 06:38 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sacd
Lobuxracer, did you mean post 17, with the picture of the thigh brace?

Here is the post: “So I don't have the car back quite yet but didn't want to leave you all in suspense. The body shop gave me a call today. One of the forum solutions was CORRECT, it was the "thigh" brace (under the very front of the back seats) that was making the sound (I've attempted to illustrate in the attached image). Absolutely no frame cracks or anything, just a little looseness and rubbing from a bolt-on part. They tightened it up with no need for cutting and welding or whatever at all - phew. The service advisor test drove the car and verified the sound is gone and the cabin is whisper quiet.”

I will let the Lexus rep know.
Thanks for the update thus far. Really hoping that they solve this for you, it really gets annoying to drive with. Good luck!
Old 08-14-21, 05:57 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

2017 GSF. Started having the same issue in the past year but in the front I think.

thought it was something loose and guess it was. Only noticable with window down.
Old 09-12-21, 12:49 AM
sacd
10th Gear

The issue was fixed by Lexus.
The dealer near me diagnosed that the creaking noise came from body frame when they kept the car for 2 weeks.
Since they didn’t have Lexus body shop, I was told to drop the car at Lexus bodyshop at another dealership an hour away.

The second dealer worked on it for 3 weeks (I could see update in the app everyday that some activity was going on).
Picked up 2 days back - the rep told me that they had to spot weld at multiple locations on the frame.
Here is what they have written up:
“Creaking noise coming from top of left rear shock tower area. Noise can be heard when turning left slowly. Repair spot welds as per field tech spec from Lexus.”

The car is now quiet. Hope this helps the folks who are having this problem.

The following sites mention that “Lexus uses body adhesive to join body shell panels as opposed to spot welds. Use of adhesive means the bond is formed along the entire surface rather than at specific points. The bond maximises rigidity to deliver a stronger body and better driver control.”
https://www.drive.com.au/reviews/201...build-quality/
https://mag.lexus.co.uk/engineering-...ody-adhesives/

Experts here may have a better idea if these new techniques may be causing some of the body frame issues!

Last edited by sacd; 09-12-21 at 01:16 AM.