Thoughts on this GSF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 10:42 AM
MuaGS350
Pit Crew

Received 163 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Thoughts on this GSF?

Hello,
I've been looking to upgrade my fsport to a GSF for some time now and wanted to get some input/thoughts from the experts on this forum:

https://www.freewaytoyota.com/invent...p1blxha002408/

Car reported minor damage BUT is clean title. Checking lexus service history; looks like steering was damaged and replaced at one point "Description: REPLACED FRONT SUB-FRAME, POWER STEERING RACK, MISC. BRACKETS/HARDWARE, AND PE ~|~FRONT SUB-FRAME, POWER STEERING RACK, AND MISC. BRACKETS DAMAGED DUE TO IMPACT, RECOMMEND REPLACING FRONT SUB-FRAME, POWER STEERING RACK, MISC. BRACKETS, AND CHECKING ALIGNMENT AFTER REPAIRS. ~|~IMPACT DAMAGE. (BILL INVOICE TO TUSTIN RANCH COLLISION) ~|~REPLACED FRONT SUB-FRAME, POWER STEERING RACK, MISC. BRACKETS/HARDWARE, AND PERFORMED 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT AFTER REPAIRS; ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS WITHIN TOLERANCES. TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND VERIFIED VEHICLE DRIVES/TRACKS STRAIGHT."

Would you buy this car?

Other option I was looking into:
https://www.carlsontoyota.com/all-in...s&model=GS%20F

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-21, 02:03 PM
OrionHunt
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like extensive damage. Who knows what else was missed or the quality of the repair work. For 61k I would not. If you have to ask, means you are having second thought and will always be on the back of your mind. I would pay extra for one that has not been in an accident
Old 10-07-21, 02:26 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts

You'd need to dismantle the front/bottom of the car to make sure it was repaired correctly. Otherwise, I would skip it and let someone else deal with it.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (10-10-21)
Old 10-07-21, 03:21 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

That 2016 looks great judging by the pics. What’s the history on that one? If no accidents, then I’d consider it above the 2017.

Last edited by anbark22; 10-07-21 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 10-07-21, 03:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Originally Posted by MuaGS350
Hello,
I've been looking to upgrade my fsport to a GSF for some time now and wanted to get some input/thoughts from the experts on this forum:

Car reported minor damage BUT is clean title. Checking lexus service history; looks like steering was damaged and replaced at one point "Description: REPLACED FRONT SUB-FRAME, POWER STEERING RACK, MISC. BRACKETS/HARDWARE, AND PE ~|~FRONT SUB-FRAME, POWER STEERING RACK, AND MISC. BRACKETS DAMAGED DUE TO IMPACT, RECOMMEND REPLACING FRONT SUB-FRAME, POWER STEERING RACK, MISC. BRACKETS, AND CHECKING ALIGNMENT AFTER REPAIRS. ~|~IMPACT DAMAGE. (BILL INVOICE TO TUSTIN RANCH COLLISION) ~|~REPLACED FRONT SUB-FRAME, POWER STEERING RACK, MISC. BRACKETS/HARDWARE, AND PERFORMED 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT AFTER REPAIRS; ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS WITHIN TOLERANCES. TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND VERIFIED VEHICLE DRIVES/TRACKS STRAIGHT."

Would you buy this car?

Thanks in advance.
Depends on the price and intended use. At the asking price? No, not even for a track car.
Old 10-07-21, 04:08 PM
MuaGS350
Pit Crew

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

This will be my daily.
Old 10-07-21, 05:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

So the repairs cited could be a result of slamming into a curb and damaging the front suspension, but if this were the case, it would seem the rear suspension would have also taken a blow (doesn't absolutely have to be, but seems pretty likely) and there's nothing about that. Also, nothing about other body/structural repairs, however, any blow strong enough to damage the subframe would also be transferred to the subframe mount points on the chassis, so it's hard to believe the chassis is still straight. That's what I would be examining by measuring all the mount points against the specs in the collision repair manual. It might be OK, but doesn't seem likely.

From as safety perspective on a daily driver with no expectations of track duty, there are lots of acceptable repairs as long as it still looks good. If it's for track duty, you're looking for cheapest price and expecting to repair/straighten anything necessary without concern for cosmetics.

The biggest issue facing the person buying the car with the damaged subframe is resale value. If/when the market cools off, that service note is going to really hurt. I'd need a really big discount to consider it a worthy buy.

OTOH, the car without recorded damage isn't in the clear either. Lots of things can get fixed and never show up in any service records. I'd plan to have a trusted resource inspect the car (if there is time - it seems like these overpriced used cars are selling pretty quickly despite everything) just to be sure it's not been damaged in a way to make you pause and reconsider. JMHO.
The following users liked this post:
dreamG (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21, 09:50 PM
Jeffrs82
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hello,

Would you buy this car?

Thanks in advance.

I was considering this car but then saw all the repairs and damage so I passed. The one at Carlson Toyota, seems like a clean car. 2016. If you want ,
I have lots of pictures of the car, the sales guy sent me a picture and a video,you can PM me you number so I forward all those pictures to you.
I am in the process of purchasing mine , so I passed on this as well.
Old 10-08-21, 01:53 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for that color. It's gorgeous
Old 10-10-21, 07:05 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Exclamation

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

This will be my daily.

At that price i knew there had to be a catch.... Two ACCIDENTS. Its been hit from Front Rear and right side as well...
Old 10-10-21, 07:07 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is a better option:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=606595074
Old 10-10-21, 10:05 PM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

I don’t know what surprises me more - $60k price or the fact it somehow has a clean title after all that. I’ve seen cars totaled for much less.
Old 10-11-21, 04:23 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

or how about this. Just have it shipped
Old 10-12-21, 08:12 AM
MuaGS350
Pit Crew

Thanks for all the feedback, suggestions and help in search. Truly appreciate it.

Preferably looking for: White, platinum, atomic silver (in that order).

Ill update if/when I pick one up, looking forward to joining the F family. Stay safe everyone.
Old 10-13-21, 02:25 PM
Moos0004
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like a legit repair and should not have anything to worry about especially if it was done by lexus. i went through a similar experience on the rear of one of my lexus after hitting the curb and they (Lexus) replaced the whole suspension assembly out of abundance of caution, including the rear cradle and the entire hub/wheel bearing assembly. I inspected the damage before hand and the items that were bent was the lower control arm and crossmember. But they replaced everything, inlcuidng all the bolts, nuts, washers. out of caution and mainly to make money since it was an insurance payout. If you have any concern just take on an alignment rack to check it. these shops that documents the work like this dont do half repair they replaced everything to make money. i would buy in a heartbeat, especially if it was done by lexus.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this GSF?