GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GSF or LC for Weekend Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-21 | 04:24 PM
Searosis
Pit Crew

Default GSF or LC for Weekend Car

Hey guys I received an amazing offer on my 20’ GSF and am considering selling to get an LC500 Vert.

I am quite torn about the decision as I love the GSF but I find that as a part time weekend car it doesn’t provide too much of a different experience than my daily driver LX. If one doesn’t drive the GSF hard one doesn’t appreciate its strong suit very much.

I know I’m asking this question in the GSF forum but was looking for honest feedback.

Consideration points are as follows:

1. I feel the GSF will hold its value way better than the LC.

2. I am thinking I may regret in 10 years when the gsf Low production numbers make its value skyrocket.

3. Thinking sell high now and buy an LC when this insanity of a market drops and put some $$ in my pocket.

I welcome any thoughts or opinions!!
Old 10-19-21 | 08:03 PM
ashschwin
Pit Crew

I am in the same boat as you but instead of an LC, I have had the itch for a 911. I do love my GSF as well and the market right now is very strong for the GSF as supply is low across the country. I also feel that I would miss the GSF very much since I thoroughly enjoy the naturally aspirated V8 engine. If you are itching to get an LC convertible, go for it and enjoy it! You will still have the glorious V8 soundtrack with the updated transmission.
Old 10-20-21 | 05:56 AM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Originally Posted by Searosis
Hey guys I received an amazing offer on my 20’ GSF and am considering selling to get an LC500 Vert.

I am quite torn about the decision as I love the GSF but I find that as a part time weekend car it doesn’t provide too much of a different experience than my daily driver LX. If one doesn’t drive the GSF hard one doesn’t appreciate its strong suit very much.

I know I’m asking this question in the GSF forum but was looking for honest feedback.

2. I am thinking I may regret in 10 years when the gsf Low production numbers make its value skyrocket.

3. Thinking sell high now and buy an LC when this insanity of a market drops and put some $$ in my pocket.

I think you have hit on a couple key items here. One, your GSF is a 2020 model. Some where in the GSF threads, I saw someone had contacted Lexus USA for production numbers by model year. Only 127 GSF were made for the US market so this will be a rare model year and could be even more rare depending on options (like mine). I agree with you that the LC 500 vert likely wont hold its value very well in the medium to longer term, not to mention the six figure price tag. One of the best things about the GSF its calm and smooth when you want or you can unleash the beast when needed. Plus on top of that, you love your GSF. I have driven the LC500 while fun and looks pretty cool, still not as fun or exclusive as a GSF
Old 10-20-21 | 06:44 PM
Fatbarney
Driver

So I was in this exact scenario over the summer and ended up trading my 18' GSF for an LC500 convertible. I had the same thought that the GSF wasnt fun unless you drove like a complete ***. The LC I'm perfectly happy just cruising around and you cant beat the open air experience. I dont regret the decision at all, although there are times I wish the LC was a bit more hard core.

I also disagree about future collectibility. I think the LC will be way more desirable.
Old 10-20-21 | 07:02 PM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Was in the same boat until I got to drive an LC500 for a day. I missed my GSF after an hour.

Disagree with others about the LC being a bigger collector. It’s still not an F car and the GSF is way more exciting to drive.

I too received a crazy offer on my 2016 with 53k miles on it. Was contemplating a 911 as well since it’s next level and holds value like nothing else. Keeping my GSF as my daily.
Old 10-20-21 | 07:33 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

LC is an amazing car, but its more of a cruiser / GT car. If you want a fun car maybe a 911 ? Or even m6 or m6? Sl63?
Lc is also similar to gsf atleast engine wise.

option2 - mod the gsf, put an exhaust makes it so much alive.

Old 10-21-21 | 07:10 AM
NickL
Racer

I have a 2020 GSF and pretty much on the same boat. The only thing that stopping me from trading it in for the LC500 is its practicality or lack of on the latter. I'm not sure how feasible it is to drive it to get groceries which I often have to do.
And also, I haven't received such an offer that is hard to refuse. Dealership here are doing MSRP on the LC500.
Old 10-21-21 | 10:22 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

What is your driving habits? Do you push the car hard?

I bring mine to the track sometimes, so it is 100% GSF for me.
Old 10-21-21 | 10:23 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Cars prices are nuts, you sell yr car at good price - but there are no deals to be found anywhere either..
meaning you would have to pay mrsp on the lc.

Originally Posted by NickL
I have a 2020 GSF and pretty much on the same boat. The only thing that stopping me from trading it in for the LC500 is its practicality or lack of on the latter. I'm not sure how feasible it is to drive it to get groceries which I often have to do.
And also, I haven't received such an offer that is hard to refuse. Dealership here are doing MSRP on the LC500.
Old 10-21-21 | 10:45 AM
NickL
Racer

One thing is for certain is that there's more LC on the road and there's more LC on the market than GSF. Does that make GSF more exclusive? No. It's not like Lexus didn't want to produce more GSF. But because they couldn't sell what they've produced. I wonder if GSF is still in production today, would it sell at MSRP.
Time will tell which one will be more valuable.

Old 10-22-21 | 06:15 AM
Searosis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by WaterFish
What is your driving habits? Do you push the car hard?

I bring mine to the track sometimes, so it is 100% GSF for me.
No I dont push it hard. Drive it to work maybe once a week and cruised down to the keys once. Hence why i am thinking about switching. Just dont really use the power or take advantage of the handling much. But I am allergic to depreciation and these cars having only 127 produced in all of 2020 (I confirmed with Lexus Corporate) will hold quite well. There are 300 LC's for sale across the country vs 24 GSF's.
Old 10-22-21 | 08:35 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NickL
One thing is for certain is that there's more LC on the road and there's more LC on the market than GSF. Does that make GSF more exclusive? No. It's not like Lexus didn't want to produce more GSF. But because they couldn't sell what they've produced. I wonder if GSF is still in production today, would it sell at MSRP.
Time will tell which one will be more valuable.
Wouldn't the fact that there were a lot less GSFs sold/made for the US than the LC, make it more exclusive?

A total of 2,484 GSF's were made for the US.

From 2017-2019 Lexus sold 5,682 LCs in the US. I couldn't find 2020 and 2021 sales figures.

Each car was marketed towards a specific audience.
Old 10-22-21 | 08:38 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

No I dont push it hard. Drive it to work maybe once a week and cruised down to the keys once. Hence why i am thinking about switching. Just dont really use the power or take advantage of the handling much. But I am allergic to depreciation and these cars having only 127 produced in all of 2020 (I confirmed with Lexus Corporate) will hold quite well. There are 300 LC's for sale across the country vs 24 GSF's.

I have a '20 GSF so I may be biased but I think the GSF has the better chance of better resale value than the LC500. There were tons more LCs sold than the GSF.
Old 10-22-21 | 10:45 AM
NickL
Racer

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Wouldn't the fact that there were a lot less GSFs sold/made for the US than the LC, make it more exclusive?

A total of 2,484 GSF's were made for the US.

From 2017-2019 Lexus sold 5,682 LCs in the US. I couldn't find 2020 and 2021 sales figures.

Each car was marketed towards a specific audience.
My point is that sales figure was the reason for the demise of the GS. Even with the few 20s I've seen on the market now, it takes a long long time for one to sell.
Don't get me wrong, I love the GS. I had a '11 and '15 and now '20 GSF which I do plan on keeping for long time. I do want to see it succeed and hold its value. I just don't want to call a car an exclusive or classic because of low production volume due to lack of sales.
If I drive the GSF down the road, people would just take it as another GS(And I do like this aspect of it). Very rare that someone would know what it is.

Last edited by NickL; 10-22-21 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-22-21 | 10:53 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

If that was the case then if I were you I would just get the LC500, sure the resale value might not be as good, but you will enjoy it more. Plus the market will always be bigger for LC500.

Look at the SC430, the resale value was amazing for it.

Quick Reply: GSF or LC for Weekend Car