GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

RR Racing Oil Separator Review for 2020 GSF

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-21, 06:53 PM
damns0n
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RR Racing Oil Separator Review for 2020 GSF

Finally got around to installing this thing and just wanted to point out a few details on the one I received from RR Racing:

- the bracket is well made and in my opinion, sits just right for a 2020 GSF
- there are minor rust spots on the canister: possibly from low quality manufacturing, storage, or I received someone's return
- the new hoses are definitely an improvement, but might not be the perfect solution
- the screw holes on top of the canister are poorly machined and may require some WD-40, canned air, and trace through the threads with the screws that were provided
- one of the hoses does not come with a hose clamp, but that hose fits so tight (RR even mentions in the manual to use silicone lubricant), you likely don't need one

I recognize the canister is the same unbranded canister that's available from other vendors at a lower price but what's more important to point out are the possible points of failure -- the top screws for the canister and the weird hose that has two right angle bends. In short, one of the screws that came with my kit was bent, but I was able to straighten it out. The right angles on the weird hose must not deviate from their original positioning. I can understand how the recommended position may look unsightly, but bending the hose beyond its natural 90 degree position may age the hose poorly and develop a leak at the bends (picture below for reference).

It would be perfect if they sold just the bracket but that's wishful thinking. Overall, the product delivers, but comes with some room for improvement at its price tag. Can one simply purchase the generic canister on their own, cut out their own bracket and get some hoses from their local auto part store? Yes! But I feel RR Racing has already gone through the R&D to develop that bracket in order to remove the fabrication requirements out of this project. With that said, I installed this kit in less than 15 minutes, and I feel that is where the true value lies in this kit from RR Racing.

I also want express my appreciation for RR Racing providing options for my car. Developers for this platform, especially for the 2020 model, are far and few and I must say I've enjoyed installing this kit. So if you're reading this RR, thank you. And please develop a tuning solution for the 2020 GSF :P

Last edited by damns0n; 10-22-21 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-10-21, 05:34 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 775 Likes on 482 Posts

Good points on the RR Racing oil catch can. I installed the same one on my 2020 RCF about a month or so ago. Couple points I did not like was the breather hose on the left of the catch can. I think it should be about 2-3 inches longer. As it sits now there is tension on the hose because in my opinion it's too short. It JUST barely connects and there is tension on it from the front engine port to the left catch can port. If the hose was longer it would give the user the option to cut the hose if they deemed it too long. But I'd much rather have a longer hose that I can modify than something that is too taught.

Agree with you on the right 90 degree hose. This one is weird, and I don't like that it hits the front of the plastic trim. Some pictures it's laid on top, mine I kind of tucked under the trim. It looks silly to me just laying on top.

I wish the bolts were s/s. The ones I got look chrome plated/zinc plated.

On thing I noted in the directions was it states do NOT use the turn dial at the bottom of the oil catch can to drain it. Why? Seems like that's a easy solution. Rather one must disconnect the hoses, unbolt it and then unscrew the cap completely to drain. If they don't want you using the bottom drain then it should be removed and a normal bolt/plug be used. Because of the winged nut at the bottom I had a little issues with fitment because it was hitting a wiring harness. Which to me over time would wear through the protective covering/wires...etc. I had to slightly bend the wings up so they wouldn't come in contact with anything. But if it wasn't there at all, I would have had no issues. I might completely remove it once I drain it next time and put just a hex plug at the bottom.

I do like that they redesigned the bracket. I know their previous version you had to cut the engine plastic which to me isn't good. So the fact that this was bolt on with no cutting was good!

-Nigel
Old 11-10-21, 09:16 AM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I thought catch cans weren't necessary for vehicles that have port and di?
Old 11-10-21, 06:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by CZ75
None of my cars have any catch cans. I'm not convinced they do anything more than provide more opportunities for failure.
Old 11-11-21, 06:28 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by CZ75
Probably not as necessary as it is on a lot of other vehicles. I'm sure at the track you may fill one up, but on the street, I have 5000 miles on mine and just now need to empty it. My old N54 BMW on the other hand....holy cow, I had 2 catch cans - 1 for boost and 1 for vacuum and emptied the one for vacuum every month at least and the one for boost every 6 months. Those are the same engines that require walnut blasting on the intake ports as part of their maintenance due to their poorly designed valve covers and PCV systems. The amount of oil that makes it to the intake track is ridiculous. The GS-F not so much.

Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by 1A1:
1wacko (11-11-21), krill (05-28-22)
Old 11-11-21, 09:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There is already a very large oil recovery device on the engine from the factory. Some have found it inadequate for track use. I have not had any of the issues others have described with my IS F at the track, but I do not follow Lexus break-in methods and have great confidence my rings seal well, and poor ring seal is one of the primary causes of excessive blowby. My F cars have seen hard acceleration to 140+ mph with less than 100 miles on the odometer.
The following users liked this post:
1A1 (11-11-21)