GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Service department disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 02:40 PM
beatlepd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service department disappointment

Tire pressure was in the high 20s so as I just happened to be passing by the dealership, figured I'd stop by for a top off. The TMPS sensors were not showing any alerts. While I was there, I also asked if they could check the tire tread. Well, a TMPS sensor happens to fail after the fill one of the tires - what are the chances? Seems funny to me. Now none of the readings are showing and I have to pay ~$400 for a replacement.

On the tire tread, they said the rears may need to be replaced soon. They didn't provide me with any indication of urgency, just a heads up. Well, I haven't driven the car since I got home and there are wires showing in the tires. Question for you all - is that not a severe issue that is dangerous for me to be driving on?

Are these issues I should escalate to the service manager?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-21, 03:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Wow. This is just one reason I don't do dealer service. You could buy four new TPMS sensors for less than $100 from Rock Auto (I did for my IS F). I am amazed they let you leave with steel belts showing. That's a huge liability for them.

It's not impossible to drive on corded tires, but it's not recommended either. I drove home to Atlanta from Kershaw, SC on this tire after a track weekend.

Old 11-09-21, 06:33 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Reset tpms? Might help - yes pls change yr tiresResetting the Lexus tire pressure sensor is a quick procedure that only takes a few minutes. This way, you can get back to cruising the town in little time.

In order to the reset the tire pressure sensor inside your Lexus, you’ll want to complete the following steps:
  1. Fill the tires to the appropriate air pressure. You’ll want to do this when the tires are “cold” or when the vehicle has been sitting for at least a few hours.
  2. Turn the engine switch to Ignition ON mode.
  3. Use the arrow keys to filter through your vehicle’s settings on the multi-information display until you see the “TPMS” screen.
  4. Press and hold the button that looks like a black circle until the tire pressure warning light blinks slowly three times.
  5. Wait a few minutes, and then turn the engine off.
Once the above steps are completed, you’ll want to drive around for a bit to see if the light turns off. It’s recommended to drive about 25 miles (or 10 to 30 minutes) until the tire pressure is displayed on the multi-information display screen.
Old 11-09-21, 06:35 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i remember freaking out when i saw my front inside thread on ISF like this. Had about 20k miles in the car.
is this just because if a bad alignment?

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Wow. This is just one reason I don't do dealer service. You could buy four new TPMS sensors for less than $100 from Rock Auto (I did for my IS F). I am amazed they let you leave with steel belts showing. That's a huge liability for them.

It's not impossible to drive on corded tires, but it's not recommended either. I drove home to Atlanta from Kershaw, SC on this tire after a track weekend.

Old 11-09-21, 10:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
Reset tpms? Might help - yes pls change yr tiresResetting the Lexus tire pressure sensor is a quick procedure that only takes a few minutes. This way, you can get back to cruising the town in little time.

In order to the reset the tire pressure sensor inside your Lexus, you’ll want to complete the following steps:
  1. Fill the tires to the appropriate air pressure. You’ll want to do this when the tires are “cold” or when the vehicle has been sitting for at least a few hours.
  2. Turn the engine switch to Ignition ON mode.
  3. Use the arrow keys to filter through your vehicle’s settings on the multi-information display until you see the “TPMS” screen.
  4. Press and hold the button that looks like a black circle until the tire pressure warning light blinks slowly three times.
  5. Wait a few minutes, and then turn the engine off.
Once the above steps are completed, you’ll want to drive around for a bit to see if the light turns off. It’s recommended to drive about 25 miles (or 10 to 30 minutes) until the tire pressure is displayed on the multi-information display screen.
That's not a "reset," it's an initialization. The sensor itself has a lower limit programmed into it and will trigger a fault regardless of the initialization pressure. The sensor looks at two things - absolute pressure relative to initialization and pressure loss over time. A rapid deflation (>6psi in 30 seconds) will trigger a fault as will a pressure significantly lower than the initialization setting.
The following users liked this post:
UZ214 (11-09-21)