GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Remote start, there’s gotta be a workaround…

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-21 | 10:04 PM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Default Remote start, there’s gotta be a workaround…

Love this car but it’s absolutely maddening that the only way to get remote start is to pay $17 a month(app doesn’t show remote services, only Safety with remote) for a service which will be discontinued next year for those of us with older GS F’s. Is there seriously no work around solution that makes use of the OEM fob?

Last edited by CZ75; 11-28-21 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-29-21 | 01:00 AM
designo
Pole Position

The fact that the rest of the world does not have a subscription for remote start only means "IT IS POSSIBLE"
You'll probably need a Government bill passed to get around this in "corporate USA"
Old 11-29-21 | 07:59 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CZ75
Love this car but it’s absolutely maddening that the only way to get remote start is to pay $17 a month(app doesn’t show remote services, only Safety with remote) for a service which will be discontinued next year for those of us with older GS F’s. Is there seriously no work around solution that makes use of the OEM fob?

Where do you see it being discontinued?

You can do remote start via your keyfob actually but that requires the subscription. I imagine that if Lexus does discontinue the enform app that perhaps they would give the ability to do remote start without a subscription.
Old 11-29-21 | 10:57 AM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Where do you see it being discontinued?

You can do remote start via your keyfob actually but that requires the subscription. I imagine that if Lexus does discontinue the enform app that perhaps they would give the ability to do remote start without a subscription.
https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...ervices-update
Old 11-29-21 | 11:37 AM
NickL
Racer

This is unfortunate. And this is what I really don't get Lexus or even the whole car industry why they can't just provide an upgraded cellular radio for the owner to replace.
My home security was also on 3G radio and the company notified us of the tech being obsolete by year end. Therefore, I have a choice of them sending us a 4G card that we can replace in the panel ourselves or we can buy a whole new control panel.
Lexus should be able to replace this 3G radio to the whatever latest they're using on their newer vehicles.
Old 11-29-21 | 12:48 PM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NickL
This is unfortunate. And this is what I really don't get Lexus or even the whole car industry why they can't just provide an upgraded cellular radio for the owner to replace.
My home security was also on 3G radio and the company notified us of the tech being obsolete by year end. Therefore, I have a choice of them sending us a 4G card that we can replace in the panel ourselves or we can buy a whole new control panel.
Lexus should be able to replace this 3G radio to the whatever latest they're using on their newer vehicles.
Remote start shouldn’t have been setup to work only over cellular in the first place. Huge letdown. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more uproar over this. Cheapo cars have this feature as standard. Like I get paying for remote start via your phone - don’t agree but it is what is. But to make it so that it’s a subscription and solely dependent on 3G is absolutely stupid as it gets.
Old 11-29-21 | 01:34 PM
NickL
Racer

Remote start shouldn’t have been setup to work only over cellular in the first place. Huge letdown. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more uproar over this. Cheapo cars have this feature as standard. Like I get paying for remote start via your phone - don’t agree but it is what is. But to make it so that it’s a subscription and solely dependent on 3G is absolutely stupid as it gets.
Don't disagree. Technically, you should be able to start the car since on your remote, you can with the subscription. I'm not sure if the remote send the command to Enform and it starts the car or the remote just enable the code in the car to start it.

Old 11-29-21 | 03:37 PM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Don't disagree. Technically, you should be able to start the car since on your remote, you can with the subscription. I'm not sure if the remote send the command to Enform and it starts the car or the remote just enable the code in the car to start it.
Im sure the remote itself doesn’t send the command anywhere other than the car. But the car may dial home every time. The feature is enabled within the vehicle when you sign up for Enform. So if Enform services(which remote start is a part of) are disabled for my 2017 next year, then who knows if they will even leave remote start on for us.
Old 12-01-21 | 10:30 PM
designo
Pole Position

The factory built these cars so this system would work without any cellular requirements.
I find it hard to believe that Lexus would strand millions of North American customers on this issue.

Here's mine, straight out of the box. My wife's 2016 Land Cruiser has it too.

Old 12-02-21 | 09:29 AM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by designo
The factory built these cars so this system would work without any cellular requirements.
I find it hard to believe that Lexus would strand millions of North American customers on this issue.

Here's mine, straight out of the box. My wife's 2016 Land Cruiser has it too.

https://youtu.be/aoKxltDZ6qM
You're not in the US so that is more than likely why it works without the Entune sub.
Old 12-02-21 | 11:58 AM
NickL
Racer

You're not in the US so that is more than likely why it works without the Entune sub.
I think he's trying to say that the vehicle doesn't need cellular to start since other part of the world version of the vehicle can be started by remote.
Lexus is offering $8 for Remote Connect per month or $80 a year.
Old 12-02-21 | 12:15 PM
CZ75
Pit Crew

I think he's trying to say that the vehicle doesn't need cellular to start since other part of the world version of the vehicle can be started by remote.
Lexus is offering $8 for Remote Connect per month or $80 a year.
Ah gotcha, I read his post too fast. Where are you seeing $8 a month? Through the app I’m only seeing $16. Are you getting it by hitting the support button in the car?

This is all I’m getting under subscriptions in the app.

Last edited by CZ75; 12-02-21 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-02-21 | 12:50 PM
NickL
Racer

Not sure why you’re seeing 16$ and I’m seeing $8.

Old 12-02-21 | 01:01 PM
NickL
Racer

Okay. I know why yours is $16 and mine is $8. On the 2020 vehicle, it comes with Safety Connect for 10 years. So all I had to add is the $8 Remote.
On my 2017 RX, I see the same price as yours which is $16 that includes Safety Connect and Remote.