GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Flat Tire Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-21, 04:39 PM
hvdcman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flat Tire Help

Experienced a flat on rear tire. Waited 12 hours to get a tow into town where I was able to get tire fixed. Driving home, noticed more vibration than normal. Had the dealer check balance/alignment today. Said they could balance 3 out of 4 but not the repaired tire due to “liquid tire sealant”. I am thinking it would be best to dismount tire and scrub the tire & rim clean of sealant, then remount and balance rim/tire at that point. Any suggestions one way or another?
Anyone know if I can carry a front rim/tire for a spare and have it work on the rear? I have not tried swapping rims on the car to check. I know there are some smart people out there with the answer......
Old 12-01-21, 04:46 PM
vtecpwr
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The front wheel will fit on the rear, but the tire sizes will just be different.
Old 12-01-21, 05:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

You don't want to hear this. My suggestion, replace both rear tires with the same make and model of tire that's on the front. But, with the correct size for the rear.
Old 12-01-21, 09:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

You could dismount the tire and clean it all up, but few shops want to entertain the task because it's such a PITA. I'd do what Lou suggested for my car.

Might want to take a peek at this thread too: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nce-proof.html
Old 12-02-21, 10:05 AM
damns0n
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You could dismount the tire and clean it all up, but few shops want to entertain the task because it's such a PITA. I'd do what Lou suggested for my car.

Might want to take a peek at this thread too: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nce-proof.html

I second that. Someone will have to really need the money to take you up on cleaning the sealant. When I got a puncture, most shops wouldn't even plug it once I mentioned the word "run-flat".
Old 12-02-21, 01:25 PM
hvdcman
Rookie

LOL, I thought I would try to find a shop to dismount tire, I clean it (with the wheel of course) then take it back to get remounted and balanced. I am running factory tires all 4 corners, the fronts are the 255/e5-19 and rears 275/35-19. I figure the smalle width on back for spare would work to get me to a tire shop for a fix/tire next time.....
Old 12-02-21, 01:27 PM
hvdcman
Rookie

Sickpuppy....just noticed you are in AZ.....where we had our tire fiasco....just eat of Tonopah....lol
Old 12-02-21, 01:28 PM
hvdcman
Rookie

S/B East not eat..
Old 12-16-21, 01:39 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

It turns out....my GSF will have to be a daily driver for the next 4 months to 6 months max. It's been a garaged car since I bought it...and has never seen rain..or inclement weather.

I've never had a car without a spare. What are the tips if I encounter a flat while being out and about?
Flatbed Tow?
is it safe to use the Liquid Sealant?

thankyou in advance
Old 12-16-21, 04:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

6 years and 90k+ miles and haven't had to be concerned about this. I'm actually a little concerned the goop in the kit might not be in the best condition. IMHO, don't use the sealant unless you have no choice to get the car to a safe place from a dangerous one. I would flatbed the car for sure.

I am seriously considering RFT for the next set of tires. It fits my use case perfectly, and I could ditch all the junk in the trunk for dealing with flats.
Old 12-16-21, 05:47 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

^^^^I went from RFTs to PSS4'a on my LC - Handling improved a bunch. I have goop in my trunk.
Old 12-16-21, 10:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

99.9% of this car's life it's hauling kids and groceries for the wife. She won't even notice the difference.
Old 12-16-21, 10:59 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Give RVRoadhelp a try. Best towing service there is. They’ll tow whatever you’re driving or riding to wherever you have to go to get repaired regardless of mileage. Allstate backs them. On tour one year I got an unrepairable rear flat on my motorcycle about 60 miles from anywhere. Luckily I had cell service and they dispatched a flatbed from 60 miles to the south to take me 60 miles to the north (Atomic City WA). Turned out that I couldn’t find a tire that fit within a hundred miles. But,106 miles away, across the ID border I found a tire. Called them back the next day and after an explanation they dispatched a tow from ID to pick me up and take me to ID. Their mileage total was nearly 400. My charge was just the annual premium. Their dispatcher told me that they had to tow a Harley with a side car, or trailer, I forget now, from north of Fairbanks to Anchorage for him to get repairs. She said it cost them $1,500. The rider had no out of pocket charges, same as me. Flats that are fixable I’ll do myself on my car or motorcycles and I’d never use the goo that comes in a can.
Old 12-17-21, 03:52 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Not only am I sometimes concerned about not having the spare to swap out on the side of the road, but assume you get flatbeded--depending where you are, will they have a tire in the right size to even install where they bring you?--My concern is more on road trips where you end up in remote locations.
Old 12-17-21, 04:23 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Teutonic
Not only am I sometimes concerned about not having the spare to swap out on the side of the road, but assume you get flatbeded--depending where you are, will they have a tire in the right size to even install where they bring you?--My concern is more on road trips where you end up in remote locations.
Read the post above

Quick Reply: Flat Tire Help