GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Exhaust and brake pads questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-22 | 12:26 AM
designo
Pole Position

I replaced my brake pads with Project Mu NS series pads. I am very very happy with them.
Old 01-27-22 | 07:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No one will like this, but I run Powerstop Z23 pads from RockAuto on the wife's GS F. Got Centric rotors from RockAuto too. They work perfectly for her purposes and they're stupid cheap. They are NOT low dust, I'd rate them pretty much equal to the OE pads except they don't wear the rotors anywhere near as quickly as the OEM pads do. I put new rotors on the car at about 40k miles, both front and rear. We are at 93k now, and the rotors are still doing fine as are the pads. I have rotors and pads sitting on the shelf in anticipation of replacement, but they're lasting a lot longer than the OEM parts did. From a performance perspective, the Powerstop pads feel almost identical to the OEM pads. I've never tested their fade resistance except when I bedded them. This is for a kid hauler and grocery getter, not a track day at all. That said, they really are almost indistinguishable from OEM in performance on the street.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-27-22 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-27-22 | 08:32 AM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No one will like this, but I run Powerstop Z23 pads from RockAuto on the wife's GS F. Got Centric rotors from RockAuto too. They work perfectly for her purposes and they're stupid cheap. They are NOT low dust, I'd rate them pretty much equal to the OE pads except they don't wear the rotors anywhere near as quickly as the OEM pads do. I put new rotors on the car at about 40k miles, both front and rear. We are at 93k now, and the rotors are still doing fine as are the pads. I have rotors and pads sitting on the shelf in anticipation of replacement, but they're lasting a lot longer than the OEM parts did. From a performance perspective, the Powerstop pads feel almost identical to the OEM pads. I've never tested their fade resistance except when I bedded them. This is for a kid hauler and grocery getter, not a track day at all. That said, they really are almost indistinguishable from OEM in performance on the street.
Question for you - are you getting Centric or Dynamic Friction rotors from rock auto? In the two years I’ve owned my car I have never seen them sell brembo but hear people saying they got brembos there?

The only place I’ve been able to find brembo rotors is eBay and that’s dried up a lot it seems.
Old 01-27-22 | 09:15 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I have Centric on the front now and Dynamic Friction on the back. They are visually indistinguishable from the OEM rotors and have given me no issues for ~50k miles so far.
The following users liked this post:
NinjaNap (01-27-22)
Old 02-04-22 | 07:33 PM
bonaf1de
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NinjaNap
Question for you - are you getting Centric or Dynamic Friction rotors from rock auto? In the two years I’ve owned my car I have never seen them sell brembo but hear people saying they got brembos there?

The only place I’ve been able to find brembo rotors is eBay and that’s dried up a lot it seems.
Brembo components can be purchased direct from Brembo USA or from Newparts (official 3rd party vendor).
Old 02-05-22 | 07:11 PM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bonaf1de
Take a look at EBC’s brake pads, especially the Yellow Stuff. They can be had for far cheaper than the other suggestions, and will perform quite similarly to the stock Brembos. If you’re not chasing peak performance, you can get a bit of bang for your buck.

If your Brembos have good meat on them, I may be interested in purchasing them.
I heard that they emit the same amount of dust as OEM? I’m mainly chasing no squeal and no dust. If project Mu beats them out in that regard then imma pull the trigger.
Old 02-05-22 | 07:22 PM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CZ75
I heard that they emit the same amount of dust as OEM? I’m mainly chasing no squeal and no dust. If project Mu beats them out in that regard then imma pull the trigger.
I’ve been running the Project Mu NS pads for 40k miles. They squeal bad until they’re hot but even then they still squeal coming to stop signs and lights. Not as bad as brembos though. Dust is still minimal.

Maybe someone can chime in - but I’ve heard Toms are the best for squeal and dust and to steer clear from Endless pads because they are crazy expensive and they squeal really bad in addition to dust (could be track pads?).
Old 02-05-22 | 07:28 PM
bonaf1de
Driver School Candidate

I’ve been running the Project Mu NS pads for 40k miles. They squeal bad until they’re hot but even then they still squeal coming to stop signs and lights. Not as bad as brembos though. Dust is still minimal.

Maybe someone can chime in - but I’ve heard Toms are the best for squeal and dust and to steer clear from Endless pads because they are crazy expensive and they squeal really bad in addition to dust (could be track pads?).
Sounds like what you want are ceramic brakes. I believe EBC Red Stuff are ceramic. As @lobuxracer and I mentioned, you don’t need to pay Project Mu/Endless/top-tier prices unless you want peak performance and low dust. Check out Brembo’s ceramic alternatives to the OEM pads for less than $100 per axle. Hell, you could just use Duralast Golds. Power stop Z26s are low dust, iirc.
Old 02-05-22 | 07:46 PM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Fuuu now I just don’t know what to get. I just want no dust and no squeal. But mainly no dust.
Old 02-05-22 | 08:15 PM
bonaf1de
Driver School Candidate

Fuuu now I just don’t know what to get. I just want no dust and no squeal. But mainly no dust.
The pads that most are recommending are track or spirited-driving oriented pads and are (typically) semi-metallic (which typically dust heavily). If that’s not what you want, just find a set of ceramic brakes with low-dusting properties. I’ve given you some examples, but there are plenty out there. You can find a set just fine under $150.
Old 02-05-22 | 08:17 PM
CZ75
Pit Crew

The pads that most are recommending are track or spirited-driving oriented pads and are (typically) semi-metallic (which typically dust heavily). If that’s not what you want, just find a set of ceramic brakes with low-dusting properties. I’ve given you some examples, but there are plenty out there. You can find a set just fine under $150.
Seriously? Please send me a link for brakes pads that fit the gsf for that price!! I’ll be happy with that. I’ve been running Akebono’s on my wife’s Audi but have not come across any for the GS F.

Last edited by CZ75; 02-05-22 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-05-22 | 08:21 PM
bonaf1de
Driver School Candidate

Seriously? Please send me a link for brakes pads that fit the gsf for that price!! I’ll be happy with that.
Powerstop Z26: https://www.powerstop.com/products/

(Amazon; this link is front only):
Amazon Amazon
​​​
Old 02-05-22 | 08:30 PM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Powerstop Z26: https://www.powerstop.com/products/

(Amazon; this link is front only): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P5MBSQZ...ws_feature_div
​​​
Ah man thank you. I don’t live anywhere near a track so having performance pads is a waste for me.
Old 02-06-22 | 03:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I just ordered a set of Z26 for my IS F. I bought race pads when I replaced the discs (running Racing Brake 2 piece) and have been running them, but they're too noisy at low speed on the street. People around me don't like the way I need to stop to make them quiet. Tired of the hard grinding sound of race pads when they're cold, and the high wear rate on the rotors because you can't keep a transfer layer on them with street driving. I believe they'll be just fine for daily driving, and I'll put the race pads back on the shelf for the next track weekend.
Old 02-06-22 | 04:38 PM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I just ordered a set of Z26 for my IS F. I bought race pads when I replaced the discs (running Racing Brake 2 piece) and have been running them, but they're too noisy at low speed on the street. People around me don't like the way I need to stop to make them quiet. Tired of the hard grinding sound of race pads when they're cold, and the high wear rate on the rotors because you can't keep a transfer layer on them with street driving. I believe they'll be just fine for daily driving, and I'll put the race pads back on the shelf for the next track weekend.
Exactly. I actually got the full set for $88 before taxes and shipping from CariD. They have a 5% off coupon for the brand. So that even sweetened the deal for me even more.