GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

For those with the Apexi resonated cat back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 09:29 PM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default For those with the Apexi resonated cat back exhaust

I can’t find a definitive answer but from the sounds of it, if I pair the Apexi axle back to my already installed Apexi resonated mid-pipe - I will get drone correct?
Old 02-10-22, 09:52 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 696 Likes on 612 Posts

Yes it will probably drone. (definitely more than stock axle back)

Let me know if you would like help ordering an Apexi GSF axle back.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-11-22, 06:02 AM
avion
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have just the axleback and it drones from 1700-2000 rpm. You get used to it. I'm contemplating a resonated midpipe but not sure how much worse itll be.
Old 02-11-22, 06:35 AM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by avion
I have just the axleback and it drones from 1700-2000 rpm. You get used to it. I'm contemplating a resonated midpipe but not sure how much worse itll be.
You’re saying it’ll be worse with a resonated mid pipe?
Old 02-11-22, 06:40 AM
avion
Driver

Originally Posted by CZ75
I imagine the midpipe (resonated in my case) will open things up compared to the stock midpipe and likely make the drone louder, not necessarily worse.
Old 02-11-22, 06:41 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

I think he's saying it's already bad with the Apexi Axle Back with the factory mid pipe, which has resonators and secondary catalytic converters. If he goes with an aftermarket midpipe, most of those eliminate the secondary cats, and that means it will be louder. The drone will most likely get worse.

The Apexi axle back is the droniest due to the muffler design. You're probably better off with a different axle back to pair with an Apexi midpipe. The Apexi midpipe is available in 2 configurations. One has resonators and the other does not and is just "pipes" that join the header to the axle back.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
anbark22 (02-11-22)
Old 02-11-22, 06:52 AM
avion
Driver

Originally Posted by 1A1
I think he's saying it's already bad with the Apexi Axle Back with the factory mid pipe, which has resonators and secondary catalytic converters. If he goes with an aftermarket midpipe, most of those eliminate the secondary cats, and that means it will be louder. The drone will most likely get worse.

The Apexi axle back is the droniest due to the muffler design. You're probably better off with a different axle back to pair with an Apexi midpipe. The Apexi midpipe is available in 2 configurations. One has resonators and the other does not and is just "pipes" that join the header to the axle back.

Steve
Spot on. I'm already invested in the apex'i axleback so if I do go the route of a resonated apexi'i midpipe (I probably will) I'll just deal with the drone. If I was starting from scratch I'd go Tom's SS with a non-res midpipe or tanabe with a res midpipe (though this might also be very tame like the Tom's SS/Apex'i res mid pipe).
Old 02-11-22, 06:58 AM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Hmm interesting. So far with my resonated mid pipe and stock axle back, I don’t detect any drone. That or it doesn’t bother me. I found someone locally who’s selling an Apexi axle back for $800 and figured why not. Just wondering how much worse things will be vs what I have now.
Old 02-11-22, 10:21 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

Hmm interesting. So far with my resonated mid pipe and stock axle back, I don’t detect any drone. That or it doesn’t bother me. I found someone locally who’s selling an Apexi axle back for $800 and figured why not. Just wondering how much worse things will be vs what I have now.
That axle back is by far the loudest due to the "mufflers", which are basically resonators. The Apexi axle back doesn't really have traditional mufflers like the other exhausts on the market do.

Steve
Old 02-11-22, 10:41 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 335 Likes on 212 Posts

I have the opposite problem; just have the Apexi axleback but want the midpipe next, still not sure if I want to go res vs non but just the axlebacks are not loud enough for me lol.
Old 02-11-22, 11:25 AM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1A1
That axle back is by far the loudest due to the "mufflers", which are basically resonators. The Apexi axle back doesn't really have traditional mufflers like the other exhausts on the market do.

Steve
Man I’m starting to get cold feet. 😞

The current exhaust sounds fine but could use a little more sound when feeding it the throttle. Also I don’t like the smallish aesthetic of the stock tips. I have music on 99% of the time so I’m wondering if that’ll be enough to drown out the drone. I guess I’m trying to picture how much worse it’ll get vs what I have now…
Old 02-11-22, 11:31 AM
avion
Driver

I'm starting to feel like the resonated mid pipe won't add much noise to what I am now used to haha.

In your situation, worst case scenario you flip it if you're already buying it at 60% of msrp if its too much

Old 02-20-22, 07:47 AM
avion
Driver

Got my resonated Apex’i midpipe in this morning, will install this week and post a video and how much louder I think it got paired with the apex’i axleback (stock headers)
The following users liked this post:
CZ75 (02-20-22)
Old 02-20-22, 10:06 AM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by avion
Got my resonated Apex’i midpipe in this morning, will install this week and post a video and how much louder I think it got paired with the apex’i axleback (stock headers)
Looking forward to it. I’m still waiting for my buddy to clear up his lift so I can install mine.
Old 02-21-22, 05:03 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 335 Likes on 212 Posts

Nice, yeah please post some before and after vids, thanks.

Quick Reply: For those with the Apexi resonated cat back exhaust