GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GSF Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-22, 05:18 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default GSF Service

I live in the suburban NYC area and took my GSF in for a simple oil change to a local reputable dealer. I did this with great trepidation (given other terrible experiences with Tri-state area Lexus dealers).
1. Made the appt for 830am, got there at 8am. A simple oil change (nothing else, not even a car wash) took 4 hours.
2. As soon as I get there the service advisor says "just an oil change?, how about tire rotation?": I had to tell him that the car came with staggered wheels/tires hence there is no tire rotation.
3. 4 hours later he comes back with a 150$ bill for the oil change plus: "you need front brakes and rotors, cabin air filter, engine air filter":200$ just for filters, I didn't even bother asking about brake pricing. Obviously refused the recommended service. It will take me 10 mins and 80$ with OEM parts to do the filters. I would even change the oil but I live in an apt so no place to perform car servicing.
4. While I was sitting in the fancy waiting room: another person getting a simple service (oil change plus inspection) had their service bill bumped from 200$ to 500$ for added tire patch (50$), cabin and engine filter (approx 250$). I believe it was for a RX or NX.

I have owned Lexus products since the 2001 and the decline in service quality, product knowledge and price gouging has been breathtaking. It seriously makes you want to either find a reputable indy shop or do stuff on your own. Post COVID things seem to have gotten even worse.

Old 06-10-22, 06:06 AM
NickL
Racer

Received 428 Likes on 275 Posts

This is typical of any dealership IME. You just have to say no, wait for the service and inspect the work after. That’s all I’ve been doing.
The inspection and recommendation is worthy to be noted as they’re unlikely to lie that your pad or tires need to be replaced.
Old 06-10-22, 07:21 AM
dreamG
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 44 Posts

This is the dealership, after all. However, my experience in Dallas is positive. They would offer more services but are not pushy when you say no. An oil change and state inspection are both done within an hour. They even offer a loaner car if interested. I guess not all dealerships are created equal.
Old 06-10-22, 10:02 AM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamG
This is the dealership, after all. However, my experience in Dallas is positive. They would offer more services but are not pushy when you say no. An oil change and state inspection are both done within an hour. They even offer a loaner car if interested. I guess not all dealerships are created equal.
Same positive experiences here in Northeast Florida. Oil changes typically range from $63.00 to about $85.00, depending on the coupons. Takes about an hour. Plus all the coffee, water, soft drinks, breakfast or lunch you care to have. You can still get a loaner, but by the time you complete all the paper work, your car would be finished.

They are not pushy either, although they will offer all the additional profit makers for them. HaHa!

Last edited by anbark22; 06-10-22 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts
Old 06-10-22, 11:23 AM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom44
I live in the suburban NYC area and took my GSF in for a simple oil change to a local reputable dealer. I did this with great trepidation (given other terrible experiences with Tri-state area Lexus dealers).
1. Made the appt for 830am, got there at 8am. A simple oil change (nothing else, not even a car wash) took 4 hours.
2. As soon as I get there the service advisor says "just an oil change?, how about tire rotation?": I had to tell him that the car came with staggered wheels/tires hence there is no tire rotation.
3. 4 hours later he comes back with a 150$ bill for the oil change plus: "you need front brakes and rotors, cabin air filter, engine air filter":200$ just for filters, I didn't even bother asking about brake pricing. Obviously refused the recommended service. It will take me 10 mins and 80$ with OEM parts to do the filters. I would even change the oil but I live in an apt so no place to perform car servicing.
4. While I was sitting in the fancy waiting room: another person getting a simple service (oil change plus inspection) had their service bill bumped from 200$ to 500$ for added tire patch (50$), cabin and engine filter (approx 250$). I believe it was for a RX or NX.

I have owned Lexus products since the 2001 and the decline in service quality, product knowledge and price gouging has been breathtaking. It seriously makes you want to either find a reputable indy shop or do stuff on your own. Post COVID things seem to have gotten even worse.
The GS F does take almost 10 quarts of oil, and you are paying for shop supplies, and labor. Seems about what I would expect an oil change on this car to cost.
Old 06-10-22, 11:08 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Well, someone's gotta pay for that fancy waiting room.
Old 06-11-22, 04:32 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I have had pleasant experiences with dealers in florida, denver and nashville. So there are good service depts.

the tristate lexus dealerships are a different breed after poor service experiences in all three states. I have also seen a lot of turnover in the service depts at these dealerships. The advisors and techs seem to change more frequently.

Old 06-14-22, 09:00 AM
hillsnow
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Similar experience to you, but I am in Virginia. For my first 4 free L/Certified services, I went to a dealer of course. Most of the experiences were bad where they either took forever, I was ignored, they lied about changing the oil when they didn't (Lexus of Richmond), they put the incorrect oil type sticker on the car, they left parts in the engine bay (Pohanka Lexus), they don't contact you when it's ready, the list goes on and on.

For my 5th (no longer free) service for 30k miles, I called multiple dealers near me, see prices here:

Lexus of Alexandria: $657

Lexus of Rockville: $650
Lexus of Silver Spring: $685
Lexus of Annapolis: $928 (ouch)
Lexus of Chantilly: No answer, plus they are terrible

I ended up taking it to my local shop for $300!!! Definitely find a non-dealer you trust and stick with them.
The following users liked this post:
Tom44 (06-14-22)
Old 06-14-22, 09:26 AM
cp44
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hillsnow
Similar experience to you, but I am in Virginia. For my first 4 free L/Certified services, I went to a dealer of course. Most of the experiences were bad where they either took forever, I was ignored, they lied about changing the oil when they didn't (Lexus of Richmond), they put the incorrect oil type sticker on the car, they left parts in the engine bay (Pohanka Lexus), they don't contact you when it's ready, the list goes on and on.

For my 5th (no longer free) service for 30k miles, I called multiple dealers near me, see prices here:

Lexus of Alexandria: $657

Lexus of Rockville: $650
Lexus of Silver Spring: $685
Lexus of Annapolis: $928 (ouch)
Lexus of Chantilly: No answer, plus they are terrible

I ended up taking it to my local shop for $300!!! Definitely find a non-dealer you trust and stick with them.
Whats the name of the shop? Is it in NOVA?
Old 06-14-22, 03:48 PM
hillsnow
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Waterloo Motors in Warrenton, VA -- not really NOVA haha