GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Ambient Door Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-22, 10:19 AM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Ambient Door Lights

I have been considering doing this door lighting mod to my car. I love the way it looks once completed, but I'm a little intimated by soldering wiring together since I have zero experience doing it. After watching this video at the 11:26 mark, the led is shown. I figure, why not just try to upgrade the LED since it would be plug and play. My question is, does anyone know what LED bulb size this is? Any recommendations where to buy replacement LED's?

Old 07-25-22, 10:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Soldering on a wiring harness is a bad idea. You'd be way ahead to crimp instead of solder. Way easier too. I have extensive experience with both methods, and have been to high reliability soldering school while in the Air Force. If solder were better, I'd say so. It's not. I'm a huge fan of a bare crimped connection with a shrink tube cover proving insulation. You can even color code it so it's easier to troubleshoot.

Might be interesting to experiment with a higher wattage LED before going to the strips.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-25-22 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-25-22, 02:00 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Soldering on a wiring harness is a bad idea. You'd be way ahead to crimp instead of solder. Way easier too. I have extensive experience with both methods, and have been to high reliability soldering school while in the Air Force. If solder were better, I'd say so. It's not. I'm a huge fan of a bare crimped connection with a shrink tube cover proving insulation. You can even color code it so it's easier to troubleshoot.

Might be interesting to experiment with a higher wattage LED before going to the strips.
Thanks Lobuxracer. The soldering part is to the new led strip in the video. Then the power connection to the led strip is with a heat shrink solder connection. Do you happen to know what LED bulb is used in this application?
Old 07-25-22, 09:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

I haven't pulled it apart to see what is there, but in the video the LED appears to be on a small circuit board. It might be worth looking at replacements one could solder onto the board and make more light than the OEM solution instead.