GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Mid Priced Rotor Selection

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-22, 08:16 PM
VenomF
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mid Priced Rotor Selection

Hello all, I'd like some help selecting slotted rotors. I need to change out front pads and rotors soon, so I currently have R1 Performance Sport series pads. (I'm guessing they're same as DFC Active Performance pads)
I daily drive my car with occasional spirited driving, and maximum 3 canyon/mountain runs a year. I'm looking for low noise and less brake dust, but not a necessity.
I have three rotors in mind.
Centric Premium Slotted OEM Style
Brembo Slotted OEM
Dynamic Friction Hi-Carbon Alloy GEOMET Slotted
Any experiences with these or major differences between the three?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-22, 09:08 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

This is in the ISF Section - Similar braking system - You may find this thread useful:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html
Old 08-23-22, 10:07 PM
GR8WHITE1
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VenomF
Hello all, I'd like some help selecting slotted rotors. I need to change out front pads and rotors soon, so I currently have R1 Performance Sport series pads. (I'm guessing they're same as DFC Active Performance pads)
I daily drive my car with occasional spirited driving, and maximum 3 canyon/mountain runs a year. I'm looking for low noise and less brake dust, but not a necessity.
I have three rotors in mind.
Centric Premium Slotted OEM Style
Brembo Slotted OEM
Dynamic Friction Hi-Carbon Alloy GEOMET Slotted
Any experiences with these or major differences between the three?
Thanks in advance.
Any reason you need new rotors? When I worked at Acura we turned slotted and drilled rotors all the time on the brake lathe without issue. Just have to find the right shop.
Old 08-24-22, 12:36 AM
VenomF
Rookie

Originally Posted by GR8WHITE1
Any reason you need new rotors? When I worked at Acura we turned slotted and drilled rotors all the time on the brake lathe without issue. Just have to find the right shop.
My rotor's slots are gone, literally erased lol. Additionally, my brakes are squeaking. Pad life is still at a couple millimeters and the sensor hasn't given me a warning, but I don't want to wait until that happens.
I also don't know what rotors were installed on the front (if they were every replaced) so I want something that will last with spirited driving.
Old 08-24-22, 12:49 AM
VenomF
Rookie

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
This is in the ISF Section - Similar braking system - You may find this thread useful:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html
Thanks for the recommendation, I went through the thread but can't seem to find an answer i'm looking for. I did see stuff on Brembo, but not sure if that's for the slotted or drilled version.
Old 08-24-22, 07:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

People overthink rotors all the time. I get them from RockAuto, and I'm currently running Centric on the GS F with Powerstop pads. Works just fine for daily. Not sure how much of a lunatic you are on canyon drives, but the Z24 pads on the car now are reasonably good and reasonably cheap from RockAuto.

Only a fool turns rotors these days (or shops who are looking for a profit center). There's not enough material to make it worth the effort. If the rotor is that bad, just replace it. They're plenty cheap unless they're two piece rotors.

FWIW, I run two piece slotted Racing Brake rotors on my IS F. I drive it very differently from the GS F, and I have tracked the IS F using track pads, and I was able to completely fade those pads with VSC turned on. I've also run track pads on the street, but I got really tired of the noise and the dust was annoying until I got a subscription hand car wash service.