GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

93' GS300 front door panel removal??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 08:34 AM
93lexgs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93' GS300 front door panel removal??

Anyone have any advice? i have all the screws out and popped all the push in holders out!! But i seen to be hanging up on the door handle. Do i need to pop the trim ring off and how? I did a search w/ no luck ! Any help is appreciated....
Old 03-19-05, 10:10 AM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Yes, the trim ring needs to come off. Use a small flat head screw driver, slide it under the door lock and pry carefully outward. It should release the trim, do the same for the top and it will come off.
Old 04-16-06, 08:00 PM
JuLink
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I've got a similar problem, and I've searched and read a great number of posts on this topic but haven't been able to finish the job yet.

I've got a '93 GS300 and I'm trying to take off the rear driver side door panel so I can see why exactly it is that my window doesn't want to come up. But, of course, I can't seem to get the darn thing off.

I've removed the two screws at the bottom, pulled out the door light and removed the screw behind it, pulled out the ashtray/window controls unit and removed the screw behind it, and removed the door handle and the screw behind it (am I really supposed to remove that one?) but the darn thing still doesn't want to come off.

Is there a screw that I'm missing? The bottom of the panel seems loose but it seems to be sticking somewhere around the middle (near the part you grab). Is it just a matter of needing to pull on it harder or is there a scrwe that I'm missing somewhere?
Old 04-16-06, 08:28 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 93lexgs3
Anyone have any advice? i have all the screws out and popped all the push in holders out!! But i seen to be hanging up on the door handle. Do i need to pop the trim ring off and how? I did a search w/ no luck ! Any help is appreciated....
I just did that for the first time on my lex too, wish i had better instructions and precautions on removing it!!

YEa, you need to pop out the door handle ring, take a flat screw driver and pop it out from the back of the handle not the front! took me a while to figure that one out!! Also, when you put the door back together, don't forget the long thin window piece that comes out with 4 white pieces to put em back on there, i only saw 3 when i took it off because it flew off and when iput it all back together, i saw the 4rth one laying on the ground when all finished!!
Old 04-16-06, 08:28 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 93lexgs3
I just did that for the first time on my lex too, wish i had better instructions and precautions on removing it!!

YEa, you need to pop out the door handle ring, take a flat screw driver and pop it out from the back of the handle not the front! took me a while to figure that one out!! Also, when you put the door back together, don't forget the long thin window piece that comes out with 4 white pieces to put em back on there, i only saw 3 when i took it off because it flew off and when iput it all back together, i saw the 4rth one laying on the ground when all finished!!
Old 04-17-06, 06:47 AM
Vmoney
Driver

when i first bought my car, i tried to pop them off the first day of ownership and crack!!!!!! there goes the ring to my door handle.
Old 04-17-06, 08:51 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vmoney
when i first bought my car, i tried to pop them off the first day of ownership and crack!!!!!! there goes the ring to my door handle.
Uh oh, with lexus prices, thats prolly gonna run you 160$! jk, although good luck on finding one!!
Old 05-03-06, 01:32 PM
JuLink
Driver School Candidate

I was pretty excited when I saw that I had some replied so quickly, and then I realized that all of the responses were to the original post, not to mine =(.

I haven't had a chance to look at it much since then but the main thing I'm still wondering is - is there a screw that I missed somewhere? It seems that I've gotten quite a number of them but only the bottom half seems loose.

If there aren't any screws that I'm missing, is there some particular way in which I should be pulling on the door panel to get it to come off? (I'm assuming that it must be still held in with some clips)

Also, do you need to remove the top part of the door panel too? If so, how do you get that off? I could only find one screw that seemed like it could be at all connected to the top part of the door.
Old 05-04-06, 09:58 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you got all of the screws. Pull hard where the window controls used to be. There are just a lot of those plastic clips holding the door panel on. Sounds like you popped out the bottom ones but not the ones higher up. Swing the panel out from the bottom and lift up to remove. Make sure you disconnected all of the wires.

Originally Posted by JuLink
Okay, I've got a similar problem, and I've searched and read a great number of posts on this topic but haven't been able to finish the job yet.

I've got a '93 GS300 and I'm trying to take off the rear driver side door panel so I can see why exactly it is that my window doesn't want to come up. But, of course, I can't seem to get the darn thing off.

I've removed the two screws at the bottom, pulled out the door light and removed the screw behind it, pulled out the ashtray/window controls unit and removed the screw behind it, and removed the door handle and the screw behind it (am I really supposed to remove that one?) but the darn thing still doesn't want to come off.

Is there a screw that I'm missing? The bottom of the panel seems loose but it seems to be sticking somewhere around the middle (near the part you grab). Is it just a matter of needing to pull on it harder or is there a scrwe that I'm missing somewhere?
Old 05-11-06, 10:02 PM
JuLink
Driver School Candidate

Much obliged! I'm going to give that a shot.

On a positive and unrelated note I found a pair of trunk struts at a local salvage yard today so I'm pretty excited to be installing those (and replacing my worn out ones).

Originally Posted by Pianoman72
It sounds like you got all of the screws. Pull hard where the window controls used to be. There are just a lot of those plastic clips holding the door panel on. Sounds like you popped out the bottom ones but not the ones higher up. Swing the panel out from the bottom and lift up to remove. Make sure you disconnected all of the wires.
Old 05-12-06, 12:14 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Oh man that is a PITA on the trunk shocks. Do yourself a favor and loop some sort of strong wire under each plastic trunk snap that stands in your way so you can pull down or out with equal force.

I broke and/or bent every single plastic piece and/or trunk panel and there is no way I can get it all back together. On the positive side the trunk pops up on its own which is pretty neat I guess...
Old 05-12-06, 03:01 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

. On the positive side the trunk pops up on its own which is pretty neat I guess...
Its supposed to pop up when you turn the key??? Or is opening the trunk supposed to be a PITA to open???
Old 05-15-06, 08:43 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah it should pop up a little bit when you use the key or trunk release in the front. The aftermarket shocks have a little more pep than the OEM ones, so sometimes it just goes up all the way and it acutally harder to close than I would like. But, better that than have it dismember me in some way.
Old 05-15-06, 08:52 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Wow, thats sweet, When I turn my key to pop the trunk or pull the lever, the trunk probably goes up half an inch, if even that. Kinda a PITA
Old 05-16-06, 12:37 PM
JuLink
Driver School Candidate

Oh man that is a PITA on the trunk shocks. Do yourself a favor and loop some sort of strong wire under each plastic trunk snap that stands in your way so you can pull down or out with equal force.

I broke and/or bent every single plastic piece and/or trunk panel and there is no way I can get it all back together. On the positive side the trunk pops up on its own which is pretty neat I guess...
I was working with a friend of mine and he actually just climbed into the trunk (on his back) and I handed him a few nails and he jammed them in some holes in there to free each of the snaps (one of them was already off when we got there). Got them all off without any damage.

I was only able to replace the strut on the right side, though (which, fortunately, appears to be the one that was the weakest) because the line from where you put the gas in to the fuel tank was in the way (specifically, a small auxiliary tube that I believe is for the automatic shutoff once the tank is full). I needed to move the strut downward to disconnect it in the back but this pipe prevented me from doing so.

Has anybody else with a GS had any luck replacing their left trunk strut? I saw a picture of the trunk of the SC and the pipe is there too but it's much smaller and located in a way such that it wouldn't interfere like this.

Quick Reply: 93' GS300 front door panel removal??