GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Crankshaft pulley warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 06:13 AM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Crankshaft pulley warning

On my way to NY from FL at about 80mph as I hit the gas to accelerate I heard something really REALLY loud and ran something over & soon after my car felt funny so I pull over to check it out.

The belt was still turning and everything looked just fine sept for the fan blade missing some blades so I thought a rock hit the fan or something

but what i missed was the outer ring from the the crank pulley (the lines you see where the belt rides) just came off some how leaving the crank pulley looking smooth more like a tensioner pulley and broke my fan blade apart when it came off.

As I was told this is a command problem for our cars theres rubber holding the two parts of the crank pulley together this rubber gets weak after all the years of being beaten by hot and cold weather i guess.

Now im looking to replace it with a solid under drive racing pulley so it wont happen again

but yea if you didnt know this by now now you do and i suggest that you replace this damn pulley ASAP its not safe!!!!!!!

I was lucky that it didn't cause more damage and was able to drive back to where I started you might not be as lucky!

another story about the pully on LOC...http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...hp/t32237.html

I made this for better easy understanding...

(The outer-ring is the one that comes off)

Last edited by 1stGS30; 02-09-09 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-09-09, 10:17 AM
afracer
Driver

For whatever reason they seem to fail on 1J/2J engines at random. My brother's wife had a Chaser (1JZGTE) that had the same thing happen only they caught it before it did any damage. I don't know how often it's recommended to replace these but I'd be sure to take a look any time you get a chance and look for cracking or seperation.
Old 02-09-09, 11:40 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

took care of mine as well. my rubber was hanging off the side and my mechanic spotted it while taking care of my radiator a month or so back and told me i definitley needed to change it before it shot a hole through my new radiator lol.

thanks for the pic mel! glad you got back ok
Old 02-09-09, 11:54 AM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexatlast
took care of mine as well. my rubber was hanging off the side and my mechanic spotted it while taking care of my radiator a month or so back and told me i definitley needed to change it before it shot a hole through my new radiator lol.

thanks for the pic mel! glad you got back ok
lol I never knew or heard about this before wish someone woulda wrote about it before me i guess i learned the hard way
but umm im still in FL till i can find an GOOD aftermarket light weight pulley for a fare price
Old 02-09-09, 01:14 PM
vtec-this
Lead Lap

ya same thing happened to me on my other car it was a 93 MX-6 v6.

it happened the very next day i bought the car, and when it broke it wedged between the PS pulley and the frame rail (being FWD) man was i pissed

but the one on my lex is good for now. lol
Old 02-09-09, 01:17 PM
tim8oland
Pole Position

nice write up! i'm definitely going to look into this.
Old 02-09-09, 04:55 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened to me while revving my car in the garage... I heard whining and I tought it was my A/C compressor, accelerated anf funken thing shot out forward busting a hole in the readiator and breaking my fan. After a new radiator, fan and puley im happy again but me thinks if I ever swap to a JDM tirbo motor i will get a Greddy pulley kit jsut in case...

EDIT: can u tell im tired and ready to go home? (im at work)
Old 02-10-09, 08:14 AM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

yea its just weird how after the damn pulley came apart the belt was still spinning in place like nothing ever happend idk how the belt went back to place and i feel sorry if the outer ring went flying into the car behind me
Old 02-10-09, 11:40 AM
tim8oland
Pole Position

so where can we get replacement pullies?? i did a search on eBay and they have them for cheap. does anyone recommend these...or have you guys all used a different brand??
Old 02-10-09, 11:45 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kidzik007
this happened to me while revving my car in the garage... I heard whining and I tought it was my A/C compressor, accelerated anf funken thing shot out forward busting a hole in the readiator and breaking my fan. After a new radiator, fan and puley im happy again but me thinks if I ever swap to a JDM tirbo motor i will get a Greddy pulley kit jsut in case...

EDIT: can u tell im tired and ready to go home? (im at work)
I'm pretty sure the Greddy pulley kit is only the accessory pullies, not the crank pulley, it wouldn't replace the part your having trouble with.

Originally Posted by tim8oland
so where can we get replacement pullies?? i did a search on eBay and they have them for cheap. does anyone recommend these...or have you guys all used a different brand??
Are you talking about aftermarket pulleys or factory replacement pulleys?

If you are looking at aftermarket pulleys then you want something that has a harmonic balancer, a good pulley would be an Ati, you can get them from Boost Logic, Titan Motorsports, Mvp motorsports etc... Stay away from pulleys without balancers (Unorthodox, Aem etc...) as they will contribute to crank walk.

As far as oem replacement I would either purchasa new one from one of the Oem vendors here or find a name brand replacement.

Last edited by macd7919; 02-10-09 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-10-09, 12:54 PM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by macd7919

Stay away from pulleys without balancers (Unorthodox, Aem etc...) as they will contribute to crank walk.
and this happens under normal driving condition's? Id expect something like that to happen in racing applications
Old 02-10-09, 12:55 PM
tim8oland
Pole Position

AEM is not good?? I always thought they had quality parts...
Old 02-10-09, 10:02 PM
jrbury3
Rookie

Hate to say it, but luckily it does happen. That's what happened to the previous owner of my GS. After it happened, he let it sit for 2 years and I got it on the CHEAP!!

FYI, I pulled mine from a junkyard. FYI, if you're looking online look for Harmonic Balancer/Torsional Dampener.

There are a few aftermarkets out there. ATI, HKS, and Fluidampr come to mind.

I would stick with something the dampens though, NOT an underdrive pulley
Found good article on SupraMania that describes why not better than I can http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81259

Last edited by jrbury3; 02-10-09 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-11-09, 10:48 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I had Son at Dynamic Auto Services replace mine last summer. What a terrible noise it made on that last start up. I was lucky it didn't come completely apart. Still, if the part lasts 14 years, I am not too worried about the new one failing any time soon.
Old 02-12-09, 01:31 PM
dorimon
Driver School Candidate

Damn!! I feel your pain...same thing happened to me. I thought I had a worn out serpintine belt it had the whining sound as if the belt needed replacing. But, when I took out the old belt the damn OUTER RING FELL!!! I opted to buy an OEM pulley which cost me $150 i think. Lucky for me it didnt go through the radiator or anything else

Quick Reply: Crankshaft pulley warning