GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Stuck Speedo Needle

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-09, 04:44 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Speedo Needle

Lately I've been having problem with my speedometer needle not moving at all. Usually it happens in the morning on the drive to work, but when I'm heading home and it's been sitting outside all day it's fine. I can hit the top of the dash and the needle jumps up to the speed I'm going but when I start driving its stuck at 0.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I might take apart my cluster this weekend and see if something is hung or might need some kind of lube.
Old 06-18-09, 05:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

NA, it's nothing like that. The spring and motor aren't serviceable and are not greased or lubed in any way. PRoblems between the morning and night are usually because of temperature. Temp affects computer chips so you probably just have a failing part on the motherboard.
Old 06-18-09, 06:11 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

what he said
Old 06-19-09, 05:59 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Yeh I figured that much between the temp difference in the morning and evening but didn't think it would be the main cause of the problem.

Then is there a way to change just the "failing" part or would it just be better getting a new cluster? Also why would hitting the dash make it work no matter the temp? Bad contact on the motherboard?
Old 06-19-09, 06:31 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or try tightening the motherboard. My gas needle would go up and down when it wanted and if I hit the dash, sometimes it would go back to normal and eventually it just started fully working...after the first time I took it apart to put in LEDs. After the second time I took it apart to replace an LED, hitting the dash didnt help at all, the needle would move when ever it wanted, and after about a week of me waiting for it to fix it self, it completely stopped working. Took the clust apart and realized I didnt tighten the screws all the way. Re-tightened them and it worked fine. So check if it's 100% tight or not and if so, then consider other options.
Old 07-01-09, 09:36 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mkiiisupra
Or try tightening the motherboard. My gas needle would go up and down when it wanted and if I hit the dash, sometimes it would go back to normal and eventually it just started fully working...after the first time I took it apart to put in LEDs. After the second time I took it apart to replace an LED, hitting the dash didnt help at all, the needle would move when ever it wanted, and after about a week of me waiting for it to fix it self, it completely stopped working. Took the clust apart and realized I didnt tighten the screws all the way. Re-tightened them and it worked fine. So check if it's 100% tight or not and if so, then consider other options.
Took apart everything this weekend and made sure to tighten all the screws and still doesn't work. Hit the dash a few times and the needle jumps right up to the speed.

Starting to get really annoying!!
Old 07-25-09, 02:11 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

I actually talked to a guy that does speedometer repair and he said that this is a common problem on 94 LS400. He said the weird thing is when he takes the cluster out of the car and does a bench test, most of the time everything works fine.

I also noticed that my tach needle sometimes doesn't work as soon as I start the car but usually jumps up in a few seconds. Another weird thing with the speedo needle is when I'll be driving and the needle isn't working all of a sudden it jumps up to the right speed. No hitting the dash or anything, just bam and it's working fine!

Surprised to see that no one else has encountered this problem yet.
Old 07-25-09, 10:17 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

oh i've had this exact same problem since I've gotten the car.

it doesn't bother me because all that I need to do is whack it (not even all that hard) and they pop up. I feel it gives the car character

I do feel it has something to do with temperature, but I don't personally understand how smacking the thing makes a chip or motherboard affected by temperature change its mind. I think it literally sticks. I had the problem the first summer I had the car, winter it disappeared, and lo and behold, summer comes round again and it sticks from time to time.

so in closing, i don't know why, but as long as it works i'm cool with it. GL finding the answer though