GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bad News for Overseas Guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 08:59 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad News for Overseas Guys

I was planning to buy a 4GS while in Germany and bring it back with me when I move back in about 2 years. I have the problem now with my 3GS navigation not going to work in Europe. So I asked Lexus if the Navi on the new 4GS would work in Europe and after a few days they got back to me and said no, it will be the same problem. Really stupid IMO. If a handheld Garmin can get maps and work all over the world, a Lexus navi should also. My only option is to buy a European model, keep it for two years, then sell it and get a US model when I come back. Unfortunately, I may have to get a BMW, Benz, or Audi, which I am not too happy about. Really wanted the 4GS.
Old 12-06-11, 09:17 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

The nav is the only thing holding you back from buying the new GS?

2 other options:

1) get a portable nav (yeah, a little tacky) and plus NO Nanny LOCKOUT

2) See if you can get a hold of the US nav computer if it will work ($$$ and not even sure it'll work)

I'd go with #1. I'll only need the nav when I'm on a strange route.

If you bring your german GS to a club lexus meet, you'll be the center of attention for sure
Old 12-06-11, 11:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
I was planning to buy a 4GS while in Germany and bring it back with me when I move back in about 2 years. I have the problem now with my 3GS navigation not going to work in Europe. So I asked Lexus if the Navi on the new 4GS would work in Europe and after a few days they got back to me and said no, it will be the same problem. Really stupid IMO. If a handheld Garmin can get maps and work all over the world, a Lexus navi should also. My only option is to buy a European model, keep it for two years, then sell it and get a US model when I come back. Unfortunately, I may have to get a BMW, Benz, or Audi, which I am not too happy about. Really wanted the 4GS.
Lexus and Toyota have always used completely different navigation systems in Europe and USA.
So you could never exchange map data.

Even Entune is actually different in Europe and USA.
Old 12-06-11, 02:54 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
The nav is the only thing holding you back from buying the new GS?

2 other options:

1) get a portable nav (yeah, a little tacky) and plus NO Nanny LOCKOUT

2) See if you can get a hold of the US nav computer if it will work ($$$ and not even sure it'll work)

I'd go with #1. I'll only need the nav when I'm on a strange route.

If you bring your german GS to a club lexus meet, you'll be the center of attention for sure
1) I'm not going to buy a new car with a 40" navigation screen only to stick a Garmin on the window.

2) Not going to buy a new car and switch out Navi computers.

3) US and German models will look exactly the same, so nobody would ever notice it except the fact that my navigation wouldn't work. I'll end up starting a trend of people importing cars to show how cool they are by not having a functional navigation.
Old 12-06-11, 03:03 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Lexus and Toyota have always used completely different navigation systems in Europe and USA.
So you could never exchange map data.

Even Entune is actually different in Europe and USA.
Yeah, that is the point I was making. I was hoping that they would break this trend with the new GS navi system. It really makes no sense that they would do this. Just use one system and allow it to be customized by the user. What is the point of two systems. At least allow the HDD to be reflashed. It just doesn't make any sense.

As far as not using the navigation system that often, in Europe, navigation is probably more important for me because there are so many small streets and places areas that I'm not familiar with, as opposed to me me almost knowing all of South and Central Florida, and being able to navigate from Florida to NY on memory.

Europe doesn't use the number and grid system like we do here in the States. It's not intuitive, and the roads wind all around and turn you in a million directions. They don't use the N/S/E/W NE/SE NW/SW AVE/ST system either. We take for granted how our road system makes it easier to get around in the USA.
Old 12-06-11, 03:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Yeah, that is the point I was making. I was hoping that they would break this trend with the new GS navi system. It really makes no sense that they would do this. Just use one system and allow it to be customized by the user. What is the point of two systems. At least allow the HDD to be reflashed. It just doesn't make any sense.

As far as not using the navigation system that often, in Europe, navigation is probably more important for me because there are so many small streets and places areas that I'm not familiar with, as opposed to me me almost knowing all of South and Central Florida, and being able to navigate from Florida to NY on memory.

Europe doesn't use the number and grid system like we do here in the States. It's not intuitive, and the roads wind all around and turn you in a million directions. They don't use the N/S/E/W NE/SE NW/SW AVE/ST system either. We take for granted how our road system makes it easier to get around in the USA.
just get tomtom ;-).

yes, we europeans love to make it all complicated... US system is way superior, imagine how was navigating large cities and trying to find some obscure street and building number, without navigation? Horrible :-)
Old 12-06-11, 06:02 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

just get tomtom ;-).

yes, we europeans love to make it all complicated... US system is way superior, imagine how was navigating large cities and trying to find some obscure street and building number, without navigation? Horrible :-)
I've got a Garmin in my old BMW over there already. Just saying why buy an expensive car and not be able to use the navigation. I'm not saying US system is superior. I'm saying that it is easier to know where you are going without navigation. BTW, I've lived in Germany for six out of the last 11 years and I will be here for at least another 2 years. I absolutely love living in Europe. I'm definitely not putting Europe down bro.
Old 12-07-11, 09:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I've got a Garmin in my old BMW over there already. Just saying why buy an expensive car and not be able to use the navigation. I'm not saying US system is superior. I'm saying that it is easier to know where you are going without navigation. BTW, I've lived in Germany for six out of the last 11 years and I will be here for at least another 2 years. I absolutely love living in Europe. I'm definitely not putting Europe down bro.
i am saying it is superior :-).

it is really hard to find stuff here.... I lived in Seattle and that was perfect... even highway exits were all numbered, no way to miss anything!
Old 12-08-11, 03:54 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

i am saying it is superior :-).

it is really hard to find stuff here.... I lived in Seattle and that was perfect... even highway exits were all numbered, no way to miss anything!
Ah ok! Well, I think it's easier to navigate in USA for sure! But it's not as scenic as it is in Europe, and much more interesting when the roads twist and turn. I was in Europe before navi was prevalent in every car and yes it was a nightmare trying to go somewhere you had not been before. Luckily at least I could print off Mapquest directions back then, but if I didn't have that I would have been lost in the sauce!
Old 12-08-11, 04:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Ah ok! Well, I think it's easier to navigate in USA for sure! But it's not as scenic as it is in Europe, and much more interesting when the roads twist and turn. I was in Europe before navi was prevalent in every car and yes it was a nightmare trying to go somewhere you had not been before. Luckily at least I could print off Mapquest directions back then, but if I didn't have that I would have been lost in the sauce!
hey i had nice scenic routes in cali and bama too :-).

but sure, curves are not fun, everyone drives at speed limit on 2 lane hwys in usa... while in europe... we fllyyyy .
Old 12-08-11, 11:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Yeah unfortunately the NAV maps worldwide are not compatible. North America NAV maps for Lexus is sourced through Denso/NAVTEQ where in Europe, the NAV maps are sourced from Aisin Europe and its different for Asian markets. Although they look similar, they each are built for specific regions. Garmin is your cheapest alternative if you really want to take a US Spec GS over to Europe.

Last year at the CT Global Launch in Paris, we drove US SPEC CT's on French roads. The NAV was useless so we had to use European Garmin units above the factory nav. LOL

Old 12-09-11, 08:53 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Interesting.

P.S.
Off-topic

Isn't Mark Levinson for the CT only available in Japan (and Hong Kong for F-sport model only)???
Old 12-09-11, 08:53 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yeah unfortunately the NAV maps worldwide are not compatible. North America NAV maps for Lexus is sourced through Denso/NAVTEQ where in Europe, the NAV maps are sourced from Aisin Europe and its different for Asian markets. Although they look similar, they each are built for specific regions. Garmin is your cheapest alternative if you really want to take a US Spec GS over to Europe.

Last year at the CT Global Launch in Paris, we drove US SPEC CT's on French roads. The NAV was useless so we had to use European Garmin units above the factory nav. LOL

That's exactly the jerry rigging I want to avoid with my 4GS. tacky... just tacky
Old 12-11-11, 08:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Interesting.

P.S.
Off-topic

Isn't Mark Levinson for the CT only available in Japan (and Hong Kong for F-sport model only)???
those were us spec models, in europe... but here in eastern europe, we have ML, just limited to the most expensive model of CT200h.
Old 12-12-11, 07:45 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

why not just wait to buy the car once you're back in the US? is it that much cheaper in Germany?

Quick Reply: Bad News for Overseas Guys