My GS F Sport with ML / HUD / DRS review

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 11:50 AM
Howiiieee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gadget Options in my GS

Heads-Up Display (HUD)

I did not order this, but it came with the car with the options I wanted. This $900 option is fun to show-off, but not really necessary for serious driving. When I first got it, I found out I was spending too much time staring at it, instead of surveying around like I should. I almost had to turn it off for safely reason. Later on I got used to it and it blended in with the background now. I found out it is most useful on a boring highway, like Hwy5 in Central California, that it will “remind” me of how fast I was going. Since it is so easy to go over 90mph on a boring road, it can save me from some speeding tickets.

The design itself is very good. I can move the HUD around in front and adjust the illumination to where I like it. It is very visible at all light conditions and even with sun glasses. The HUD updates with the latest operation on the audio (like volume, station, or track change) or Navigation directions. However, with a gorgeous 12.3 inch displace on the dash, I tend to watch that instead of the little white marker in front. Some pictures posted below.

I am surprised how few new GSs actually have this option installed right now. They are fairly common on most of the BMWs I saw / test drove.

If I have a choice, I will skip this option and save the money.

Blind Spot Monitoring

I did not order this either; however, I like it very much now and want to have it in my future cars, too. It works very well, but you still have to visually check the blind spots to really know what other cars are to make sure before lane changes. The car handles so well and the BMW imitating 3 click lane change signal often tempt you to change lane swiftly. However, we all know from times to times there will be a car in your blind spot and I almost change into other cars several times myself over the years. This extra check just make you drive a bit safer and give you a bit more confident in lane change.

I really appreciated it last Friday night when I drove home in pouring rain. The visibility behind was almost non-existent. Luckily, with the BSM, I could actually “know” there was a car in my blind spot, even though I could hardly see it. This is one safety technology I do appreciate.

Park Assist

Most useless option in my car; $500 I hope I would not have to spend (Well, it comes with almost every GS I saw). I know how to park my car. The backup camera is really good, which makes this PA redundant.

Next time I will review the other must option for me – The Mark Levinson Audio.
Attached Thumbnails My GS F Sport with ML / HUD / DRS review-dsc00109s.jpg   My GS F Sport with ML / HUD / DRS review-dsc00108s.jpg   My GS F Sport with ML / HUD / DRS review-dsc00162.jpg   My GS F Sport with ML / HUD / DRS review-dsc00164.jpg   My GS F Sport with ML / HUD / DRS review-dsc00166.jpg  

Old 04-19-12, 06:07 PM
Howiiieee
Rookie

Default Mark Levinson is much better than the standard audio

I traded my 2007 GS350 with Lexus premium audio for a 2013 GS F Sport with Mark Levinson Audio.

The Lexus premium audio in the old car was good, but I kept feeling it was not the best. Lexus sure has done a good marketing on the ML. A couple sales persons tried to get me try out the F Sport with just Lexus premium audio, since F Sport with ML was very hard to find in the beginning. After listening to the Lexus audio, then switched to a GS with ML, we all can hear the difference. It is good vs great.

I insisted to have the ML in my new car and I had to wait for 2 months for it. I just got the new car and I feel the wait and the money was well worth it. I also have the comfort to know this is as good as it gets from the factory and no need to second guess what if. It boosts my Ego, too, knowing that I have the best of everything.

It sounds a lot cleaner and tighter and fuller especially when I crank it up for my techno driving music. Now the speakers have been “broken in” after a couple weeks, the bass is getting even more deeper and fuller. The highs are clean and clear. It sounds more “lively” in all volumes due to much higher output power. It also has good simulated surround for my 2 channel sources. I often sit in the car to finish a song after I arrived before I get out. I truly enjoy it.

A clean source is the key to good reproduction. It takes DVD audios and videos (when parked), CD, MP3s, MWA, USB, and BT. I don’t like the sound from Bluetooth audio the most and it drains the phone’s battery. The 6 disks changer is gone and it only takes one disk at a time. However, I hardly miss it as I have put all the songs in an 8G USB and it sounds just as good. The only problem with such a big capacity is sometimes it takes a while to get through all the directories to get to where you want it. I can also hook up my iPhone to it, but the iPhone usually stay in the brief case and I don’t need to bother with it. If I really want to hear a song in the iPhone, I can use the BT link, but it is not as clean.

If you like good music and drive as much as I do, get the Mark Levinson audio. You will be glad that you did.
Old 04-19-12, 07:45 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Howiiieee
I traded my 2007 GS350 with Lexus premium audio for a 2013 GS F Sport with Mark Levinson Audio.

The Lexus premium audio in the old car was good, but I kept feeling it was not the best. Lexus sure has done a good marketing on the ML. A couple sales persons tried to get me try out the F Sport with just Lexus premium audio, since F Sport with ML was very hard to find in the beginning. After listening to the Lexus audio, then switched to a GS with ML, we all can hear the difference. It is good vs great.

I insisted to have the ML in my new car and I had to wait for 2 months for it. I just got the new car and I feel the wait and the money was well worth it. I also have the comfort to know this is as good as it gets from the factory and no need to second guess what if. It boosts my Ego, too, knowing that I have the best of everything.

It sounds a lot cleaner and tighter and fuller especially when I crank it up for my techno driving music. Now the speakers have been “broken in” after a couple weeks, the bass is getting even more deeper and fuller. The highs are clean and clear. It sounds more “lively” in all volumes due to much higher output power. It also has good simulated surround for my 2 channel sources. I often sit in the car to finish a song after I arrived before I get out. I truly enjoy it.

A clean source is the key to good reproduction. It takes DVD audios and videos (when parked), CD, MP3s, MWA, USB, and BT. I don’t like the sound from Bluetooth audio the most and it drains the phone’s battery. The 6 disks changer is gone and it only takes one disk at a time. However, I hardly miss it as I have put all the songs in an 8G USB and it sounds just as good. The only problem with such a big capacity is sometimes it takes a while to get through all the directories to get to where you want it. I can also hook up my iPhone to it, but the iPhone usually stay in the brief case and I don’t need to bother with it. If I really want to hear a song in the iPhone, I can use the BT link, but it is not as clean.

If you like good music and drive as much as I do, get the Mark Levinson audio. You will be glad that you did.
Thanks for your insight. I have the standard audio in the loaner car I am now driving and it really sounds good and clear to me. My new car will have Mark Levinson, so I can only imagine how great that will sound. One question... I asked the salesperson about plugging in my IPod and she said it was wireless through a Bluetooth connection. Can you still plug in the IPod the old fashioned way in the console?
Old 04-19-12, 08:01 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Thanks for your insight. I have the standard audio in the loaner car I am now driving and it really sounds good and clear to me. My new car will have Mark Levinson, so I can only imagine how great that will sound. One question... I asked the salesperson about plugging in my IPod and she said it was wireless through a Bluetooth connection. Can you still plug in the IPod the old fashioned way in the console?
In the center storage compartment (under the driver's right armrest), there is an AUX jack (next to the USB port) that you can connect a portable music player to (if you don't want to use bluetooth). That should support the iPod too.
Old 04-20-12, 10:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Congrats !! Nice write up. The car is gorgeous.
Old 04-21-12, 10:44 AM
Howiiieee
Rookie

I believe you can connect the iPod / iPhone using the USB cable as well for "better" connection than BT. Select USB to listen and control the iPod / iPhone when using the cable.

The USB input may also control some other MP3 players, but may not have full function. The AUX jack is great for all the other audio inputs.
Old 04-21-12, 08:08 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Howiiieee
Heads-Up Display (HUD) I did not order this, but it came with the car with the options I wanted. This $900 option is fun to show-off, but not really necessary for serious driving. When I first got it, I found out I was spending too much time staring at it, instead of surveying around like I should. I almost had to turn it off for safely reason. Later on I got used to it and it blended in with the background now. I found out it is most useful on a boring highway, like Hwy5 in Central California, that it will “remind” me of how fast I was going. Since it is so easy to go over 90mph on a boring road, it can save me from some speeding tickets. The design itself is very good. I can move the HUD around in front and adjust the illumination to where I like it. It is very visible at all light conditions and even with sun glasses. The HUD updates with the latest operation on the audio (like volume, station, or track change) or Navigation directions. However, with a gorgeous 12.3 inch displace on the dash, I tend to watch that instead of the little white marker in front. Some pictures posted below. I am surprised how few new GSs actually have this option installed right now. They are fairly common on most of the BMWs I saw / test drove. If I have a choice, I will skip this option and save the money. Blind Spot Monitoring I did not order this either; however, I like it very much now and want to have it in my future cars, too. It works very well, but you still have to visually check the blind spots to really know what other cars are to make sure before lane changes. The car handles so well and the BMW imitating 3 click lane change signal often tempt you to change lane swiftly. However, we all know from times to times there will be a car in your blind spot and I almost change into other cars several times myself over the years. This extra check just make you drive a bit safer and give you a bit more confident in lane change. I really appreciated it last Friday night when I drove home in pouring rain. The visibility behind was almost non-existent. Luckily, with the BSM, I could actually “know” there was a car in my blind spot, even though I could hardly see it. This is one safety technology I do appreciate. Park Assist Most useless option in my car; $500 I hope I would not have to spend (Well, it comes with almost every GS I saw). I know how to park my car. The backup camera is really good, which makes this PA redundant. Next time I will review the other must option for me – The Mark Levinson Audio.
The one feature my Audi had in the middle display between the two guages was MPH in digital format. I found this really helpful rather than looking at the speedometer, since I like to go over the speed limit. I don't think the Lexus has this in the middle display, so I find the HUD to be perfect.
Old 04-22-12, 12:36 AM
tomoshort
Driver School Candidate

I plug my IPOD through the USB port and allow the car to take control. After that, I can choose to verbally select the music. As an example, I can activate the voice command switch and say "Play Music". When I get to that menu I can say "Play Artist ELVIS Presley" When I digital voice says "play Artist Elvis Presley?" I say "Yes." The next thing I hear is Elvis crooning. Too cool!
Old 04-22-12, 03:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

congrats on having so much fun, I envy you!
Old 04-22-12, 11:12 PM
VIPDOWTGS4
Rookie

thx for sharing.. I sense one of these for me somewheres around a year or so from now after I get settled in my house.. I absolutely love your color combo.. GREAT choice for the sportyness of the 4GS !
Old 04-24-12, 04:40 PM
Howiiieee
Rookie

Default Morning run and Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS)

The weather is nice in So Cal today, so I decided to take a 60 miles detour before work and headed up the San Bernardino Mt for a morning fun drive in my GS F-Sport. I drove up Hwy 330, passed Lake Arrowhead, then down on Hwy 18. I have done it several times in my Lotus Esprit and BMW 328i Convertible. This was my second time in my GS FS. I can tell you it was more fun for me than taking the roller coasters with my daughter last weekend in Disneyland.

I started the trip in normal mode. It was a good mode for the freeways, nice and firm but not too jittery. The steering was responsive and the lane changes are very quick and controlled. A blue glow on dash that got bluer when I ease off the gas to encourage me to save gas. A great commute mode.

Once I started to head up the mountain, I switched the AVS to Sport+. I seldom use just the Sport mode. I like the more control in the S+ mode when the throttle is more responsive. The steering wheel weight up just a touch more and a bit more vibration / feel on the steering, too. What really impresses me was how precise the steering is. The center feel was spot on, thanks to the VGRS. I just point the car and it goes exactly where I want it too. I feel it is more precise than the Lotus Esprit and without the supercar rough ride. Curve after curve and turn after turn, I can feel the DRS shrinking the car and make it more maneuverable. The car was remarkably easy to drive, the power was smooth and the brakes keep me in total control at all times. I feel it was more nimble than my BMW 328Ci, yet it is a much bigger car. I felt in such a total control that I was able to scan around and enjoy the beautiful scenery as I was driving the twisted road. I stopped and snapped a picture to share the heavenly view with you folks (Oops, it is out of focus). The only complain I might have was when I drove through the clouds/fog, I reactively trying to turn on the fog lights. Oops, there is none. However, I drove through the section quickly and there is no real need for it.

Back down from the mountain and onto the freeway. I change the AVS mode to Eco and tried to save gas. The changing blue glow is back in the dash and the gas paddle is a bit stiffer so I can’t accelerate as easily. This was a good thing as I drove right passed a CHP speed trap and an officer on motorcycle was ready to intercept anyone who was “out of line”. Should he see me half an hour earlier flying through the mountain roads and passing up slower cars, he may not let me passed so easily. Back to the Eco mode, does it really save gas? In my observation, not really. I think it is more of a mind trick. In everyday driving, I will just stick with the normal mode and fuel usage should be almost the same.

Mountain road carver + Smooth and quiet commuter + Number 1 in reliability and safety = The Ultimate Driver’s Car = Lexus GS350 F Sport
Attached Thumbnails My GS F Sport with ML / HUD / DRS review-dsc00322.jpg  
Old 04-24-12, 08:33 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Great insight! Thanks for continuing to share your driving experiences. I have just over 200 miles on my GS F Sport and have loved every minute of it. I have actually just hopped in the car to go to the post office when I could have combined it with another trip. I just love driving it... and admiring the interior.
Old 04-24-12, 10:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Really appreciate the detailed reviews. In the past 12 years I have gone from a BMW 330ci to a Lexus GS300 to a (used) Lexus SC300 to an Audi A6 4.2 to an SC430 to a GS300 Sportdesign, to an Acura TL and RL, to an Infiniti M45 and then to another SC430. That was traded for a G37 Coupe, which was traded for an Infiniti M35 Sport, which then began with a series of Audis (A5 S-Line, `10 S5 Cab, '11 S5 Cab), now traded for my GS350 F Sport. Long story short, I've driven lots from Germany and Japan and I have never seen a car quite as well-balanced as the new GS.

I'm not very good at keeping promises not to trade, but this may be the car that finally keeps me interested!
you have great taste in cars
Old 04-25-12, 06:26 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
you have great taste in cars
Thanks! I have ADD when it comes to cars, but whatever I have I like it to be fun.
Old 05-01-12, 12:58 PM
Howiiieee
Rookie

Smile 1 month / 1000 miles courtesy service

I had my 1 month / 1000 miles courtesy service last week. The car had passed 1000 miles mark in a couple weeks, but I just had time to check in the service. The service took about an hour while I waited in the customers' lounge.

Other than checking everything and makes sure they are all working properly, Lexus also offers a personal settings review and set. I was offered a check list on how I want my car to "behave" when certain button was pressed or when I stop the engine or other actions. For example, how long do I want my headlight to stay on after I exist the car? Do I want the driver's seat to retract or not on easy exit? Do I want the windows roll down when I hold the unlock button? If I touch the unlock on the driver's door should it unlock the other doors or not? And so on. There are around 30+ choices to make. Some are adjustable on the info screen and some can only be adjusted by the tech in the dealership.

I was pleasantly surprised by how many personal settings I can change around. It took me almost 10 minutes to think through and made my choices before I handed it to the service manager. I tested most of the functions again afterwards and they work just like I have chosen them. Very nice. Now the GS truly feels like "my car".

Luxury cars sure cost a lot more, but they sure have their rewards. I have also bought a Toyota minivan recently and they got me through all the departments quickly. They have to as there are a lot more customers in the Toyota dealership. Thank you Lexus for not been like Toyota.

Quick Reply: My GS F Sport with ML / HUD / DRS review