4th generation vs. 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 10:06 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 4th generation vs. 3rd

To all new owners of 4th Gen 2013 GS,

I am interested in comments from those of you who owned the 3rd generation GS and your thoughts - comments on the new 2013 GS.

I own a 2008 GS 350 with 44k miles......love the car......best I have owned.

I plan on test driving the 2013 next week.

What differences can I expect?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-12, 11:02 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

You should really just test drive the car. It's really better in most every way with the exception of design which is subjective to each individual so we can't discuss that. But performance, handling, safety, technology, the whole package reinvented the car and brought it to the spotlight. While in 3GS guise it placed low in a comparison test of BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti and Jaguar. The 4GS is a whole new animal. People can tell you what the difference is on paper and paint a picture for you, but you won't get the true experience until you actually sit in the car and take it down the block
Old 10-08-12, 11:22 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Hoovey 2411.
Old 10-08-12, 11:39 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For me the difference was night and day! The improvement in the electronics package, the seating, the suspension, and the design of the interior are all much improved in the new generation GS. Additionally, my gen 3 GS was a 300 and the new generation 350 is light years ahead of what was powering the GS-300. Let us know your thoughts after your test drive.
Old 10-08-12, 12:01 PM
louisp_p
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should really go test drive the car yourself and I guarantee you will be impressed by the new chassis. I had a 08 GS350 with 48k miles before I trade in. That car has F sport swaybar and eibach spring installed but is really no comparison. The new GS has a lot less body roll during corners(you can notice the difference even at slow speed) and very stable during highway driving. The build quality is much better compare to my 3GS which suffered many noises like sunroof(notice it since it had only 1k miles and never found a solution) and dashboard, center console squeaking. The new reprogrammed transmission shift faster and it's smarter at manual mode. You no longer just set the highest gear for your car but have total control over the computer.

The couple things you might be upset about
1)We now have to fold in our side mirror manually. Which I found it very annoying while doing city parking. Fingerprint all over the side mirror and never fold in again.
2)You will be upset when you close the trunk. It really just feel that cheap compare to 3GS. and if you open your trunk in the rain, some water will get into your trunk.
3)You will suffer some comfort ride while on bumpy road due to the suspension setting.
4)No touch screen.
5)No 6 disc cd player?!

Last edited by louisp_p; 10-08-12 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-08-12, 12:20 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by louisp_p
You should really go test drive the car yourself and I guarantee you will be impressed by the new chassis. I had a 08 GS350 with 48k miles before I trade in. That car has F sport swaybar and eibach spring installed but is really no comparison. The new GS has a lot less body roll during corners(you can notice the difference even at slow speed) and very stable during highway driving. The build quality is much better compare to my 3GS which suffered many noises like sunroof(notice it since it had only 1k miles and never found a solution) and dashboard, center console squeaking. The new reprogrammed transmission shift faster and it's smarter at manual mode. You no longer just set the highest gear for your car but have total control over the computer.

The couple things you might be upset about
1)We now have to fold in our side mirror manually. Which I found it very annoying while doing city parking. Fingerprint all over the side mirror and never fold in again.
2)You will be upset when you close the trunk. It really just feel that cheap compare to 3GS. and if you open your trunk in the rain, some water will get into your trunk.
3)You will suffer some comfort ride while on bumpy road due to the suspension setting.
4)No touch screen.
5)No 6 disc cd player?!
#1 and #2 really really make me uspset!! Also to find out that other regions have power trunk and mirrors. I have a 60k car and it does not have these options but my nephew has a 12k Kia with power mirrors, like ESPN says "Come on Man"

#3 The suspension to me on normal mode seems fine and on sport+ is a little harsh (nothing crazy, I am used to lowered cars and smaller tires, I actually kind of like it). We also need to remember if this car floated around town like a cadillac then all the awesome characteristics of this car i.e. handling would be lost. It really is a give and take, and In my eyes I would way rather be able to take on ramps at ridiculous speeds with zero body roll.

#4 To me I hate touch screen it gets dirty and always looks like crap and then you don't want to clean it cause you don't want to scratch it, plus I like our new and improved mouse thingy majig.

#5 I have not even put a disc in my car yet, I use satellite radio or stream from my phone via bluetooth and also have my ipod plugged in.
Old 10-08-12, 12:40 PM
louisp_p
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
#1 and #2 really really make me uspset!! Also to find out that other regions have power trunk and mirrors. I have a 60k car and it does not have these options but my nephew has a 12k Kia with power mirrors, like ESPN says "Come on Man"

#3 The suspension to me on normal mode seems fine and on sport+ is a little harsh (nothing crazy, I am used to lowered cars and smaller tires, I actually kind of like it). We also need to remember if this car floated around town like a cadillac then all the awesome characteristics of this car i.e. handling would be lost. It really is a give and take, and In my eyes I would way rather be able to take on ramps at ridiculous speeds with zero body roll.

#4 To me I hate touch screen it gets dirty and always looks like crap and then you don't want to clean it cause you don't want to scratch it, plus I like our new and improved mouse thingy majig.

#5 I have not even put a disc in my car yet, I use satellite radio or stream from my phone via bluetooth and also have my ipod plugged in.

I live in Vancouver and the suspension setting is actually fine for me under most of the condition. Only some roads when they have just finish constructions but never seems to get the road back to the quality that it used to have.
And also there was a section on I5 between Vancouver and Seattle, the hwy surface was very rough and my car starts to jump forward and backward. I tried to switch between normal and s+ but didn't help. That was actually the first and only time I feel the suspension setting is a bit too hard. Or the road was just simply too bad lol?!

But don't get me wrong, I love the balance of chassis and suspension on this car and that was actually the main reason why I got the new GS!
Old 10-08-12, 12:57 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

+1 on test driving the car. Words can't describe the differences. The first thing I noticed was how much tighter the steering is on the 4GS. I like the exterior design, so that drew me in first and foremost. The way it handles and the electronics are just icing on the cake.

as to #5 above...I think the world is going wireless/cloud, so the elimination of "discs" is of no surprise to me. The ability to hook up your iPhone/droid/ipod/MP3 player in so many different ways, eliminates the need for discs, IMO. We (3GS owners) all complained about how it had a tape deck and how that made Lexus look like they were behind the times. Now I actually think they're forward thinking, but yet it still pisses some of us off.
Old 10-08-12, 01:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you enjoy driving, the 4gs will blow your mind compared to the 3gs. interior is also night and day, the 4gs is far more luxurious and tons of details imho, far better fit and finish as well. the ride is harsher but again that's compromise
Old 10-08-12, 02:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Successive models are usually much improved, however there is always the occasional odd step back.

Pros:
The 4GS improves in most ways, including cabin and boot space, greater torsional rigidity and bending stiffness for less creaking and rattling, and for slightly firmer springs and dampers for sharper steering and less floatiness, but longer suspension travel for a better ride overall.
Quieter on cruising.
More equipment including: multi-way adjustable seats, electronic parking brake, head up display, blind spot warning, mouse activated sat nav, rear climate controls and more powerful hi fi.

Cons:
Some remark on less styling outside and inside.
New rear door armrest mounted lateral ashtrays, intrusive to the outside space of the knees.
Engine louder on acceleration...

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-08-12 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-08-12, 02:31 PM
matt2421
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

i started a similar thread a few months ago on the same topic

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...en-owners.html
Old 10-08-12, 08:35 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=djpeakSD;7529839#5 I have not even put a disc in my car yet, I use satellite radio or stream from my phone via bluetooth and also have my ipod plugged in.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I never listen to CDs anymore. I'm happy they have the slot for one and that's all I need.
Old 10-09-12, 12:40 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Agreed. I never listen to CDs anymore. I'm happy they have the slot for one and that's all I need.
i use that slot for DVD
Old 10-09-12, 03:35 PM
LexFather

We have discussed this to death now. Having driven both modded and stock I think I can safely say the 4GS is better in every measure that is not subjective like styling inside and out. The 3GS does have the power trunk and power folding mirrors which I do use and love.

The 4GS is simply the better car and its just as light and now best driving in class. Interior is arguably best in class. Overall its an amazing leap from the 3GS.