GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: Do You Always Use Top Tier Gasoline in Your GS 350?
Yes!
89.86%
No...
5.80%
I was not aware of Top Tier gasoline.
4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Always Use Top Tier Gasoline in Your GS 350?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 12:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Hey our transmission fluid is lifetime right? The WS type? So I don't have to worry about changing them?
Lifetime of what - the vehicle, the transmission, or the ATF? There has been a zillion views and articles written about this topic. In my opinion you (and I) will most likely not own our current Lexus GS 350 cars long enough for this topic to be an issue. However, I found THIS POST (quoted below) by a former Toyota/Lexus technician to be accurate and in my opinion very informative:

"I have experience with Toyota lifetime fill WS trans fluid in Lexus and toyota trucks from being a technician for them up until 2009. I am going to answer this the best I can from the top of my head. I do not know the exact layout of the 2011 corolla but I am going to tell you how it worked in the trucks. First question is do you have a way to fill this trans once you drain it ? on the trucks there is a fill plug in the side of the transmission case BUT it is NOT as simple as drain and fill. To fill Toyota had a very lengthy procedure that invovled reading the transmission fluid temp using the factory scan tool and filling it at a very specific 5-10 degree F range. If you did a drain and fill alone and the fluid was not up to the write temp you would underfill it by up to 2 quarts. The procedure invovled topping it off then driving the vehicle for a specified mileage, then lift truck again, check fluid temp and add more fluid and they would have us repeat this process 3 or 4 times unitl it was full at the specified tempurature after the specified mileage. If you did not follow this procedure you would UNDERFILL the transmission and cause damage.

I tell you this story just to let you know that just because there is a fill plug it is not always as simple as drain and fill. We did this rarely as maint. at customer request and when intstalling new trans assemblies under warranty or C/P.

I know some other manufacturers have similar procedures for their lifetime ATF's but this is my experience specifically with Toyota W/S lifetime ATF systems in GX470,LX470, 4runner and sequoia trucks.

I do not know off the top of my head if yours has the same type of procedure and I am not telling you not to change your fluid. I am simply telling you this as a caution to make sure it's done right. I can also tell you that on at least a half a dozen cases WHEN A CUSTOMER ATTEMPTED TO CHANGE LIFETIME FILL WS ON THEIR OWN OR AT AN INDEPENDENT AND CAUSED TRANSMISSION FAILURE THAT TOYOTA ALWAYS DENIED THE WARRANTY CLAIM."

Last edited by bclexus; 12-21-14 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-21-14, 01:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of "lifetime" fluids, but yes it is technically lifetime.
Old 12-21-14, 01:15 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

And we don't tow anything with our cars so it should be ok right?
Old 12-21-14, 01:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
And we don't tow anything with our cars so it should be ok right?
It should be okay, however it is the Lexus technician that determines whether the transmission fluid needs replacing when he inspects the fluids for your vehicle at the 15k, 30k, 45k, 60k, 75k, 90k mile intervals.
Old 12-21-14, 01:48 PM
HiepNotik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my old LS I used seafoam in the gas tank once in awhile and it reply improved my engine performance and such. So no additives whatsoever.
Old 12-21-14, 01:55 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HiepNotik
In my old LS I used seafoam in the gas tank once in awhile and it reply improved my engine performance and such. So no additives whatsoever.
Toyota/Lexus does not recommend Sea Foam, or any other treatments like it.
Old 01-07-15, 11:14 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

$1.90 for Premium Tier 1 gasoline - $1.66 for Regular
Old 01-07-15, 02:52 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Judging by the poll results it appears the owners mostly all go for top tier gas!

I suppose if you could afford the car, you can afford top tier gasoline..
Old 01-07-15, 02:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Judging by the poll results it appears the owners mostly all go for top tier gas!

I suppose if you could afford the car, you can afford top tier gasoline..
Then again...some people use Eco mode most all the time. So, go figure.
Old 01-07-15, 03:18 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Then again...some people use Eco mode most all the time. So, go figure.
I haven't even tried the eco setting..
Old 01-08-15, 10:28 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I have dabbled in ECO mode for what its designed for - freeway stop and go traffic. I dont really notice the mileage economy breaking records though. Average mileage seems to depend more so on how I drive then the setting. I do however feel a difference in the throttle response in ECO, so I'd think it probably helps slightly..

Cant imagine driving mostly in ECO mode though, I would just be stomping the pedal harder most of the time. I actually wish I could set default to Sport mode for most of my driving!
Old 01-08-15, 10:44 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I dont know why people worry about changing lifetime trans fluids. Its a Toyota product, the transmission will last a long time and usually by the time you have transmission issues you would have probably driving a new car anyways. I have owned a 2006 Lexus LS430 purchased new and driven to 240,000 miles and transmission was still buttery smooth. By the time i reached that milage i got bored of the car and sold it and boughy a new 2014 Lexus GS. Just drive your car and stop worrying about your transmission and when the time comes just buy another car.
Old 01-08-15, 10:59 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

I used to own a Jaguar, and on the forums the sealed for life tranny was referred to as "sealed for death"! Oddly there were indeed maintenance schedules recommended for "severe driving".

The clutch packs were known to squeal a bit shifting from 3rd and my car was no different, I corrected this myself by changing the fluid and the filter - after the dealer said this is normal and they didnt want to touch it.. yet quoted me $900 for a tranny servicing.

The engine has to be running though so the fluid was at the proper temp to top it off properly, and I needed to use my infrared thermometer to ensure this. Hence why they dont want the average consumer ripping into these jobs as it became easy to do more damage then good without adding the proper amount of fluid.

Those days of fiddling in the garage seem past me though now, thanks Lexus!
Old 01-08-15, 01:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I tried it and responded "Wow, that sucks!" and never used it again lol
Old 01-08-15, 01:27 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I tried it and responded "Wow, that sucks!" and never used it again lol
I feel pretty much the same way. I might turn it to Eco when on the Interstate and traffic is flowing smoothly and the road is flat and straight, but even then I usually can't stand it for more than a few miles...and I'll put it back on Normal. I really hate the altered ignition timing and fuel mapping in Eco when stop-n-go city driving, or when there are hills, turns, and constant throttle changes. As far as I'm concerned Lexus can do away with the Eco drive mode, and it wouldn't bother me at all.

Quick Reply: Do You Always Use Top Tier Gasoline in Your GS 350?