GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Battery drianed over one night.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 01:16 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drianed over one night.

Hi everyone,

I need your help to see if anyone had this problem before. My 98 GS400's battery will be completely drained just after one night sitting her on my drive way.

all of this just happened this monday (i owned her since 2001). 19 months ago, the dealer changed the battery for me, so I had them to replace the batter on this monday under warranty. but today Wed, the battery is completely drained again. (I can't even use my key to unlock all the doors).

However, last week, I had a indy guy replaced my timing belt, water pump and starter. He works in a Lexus Dealer as a day time job as a tech. so I am pretty sure he knows what is he doing. I have been using him for all my maintenance job and under warranty jobs when my GS still have warranty.

1. replacing timing belt and water pump was due to the time was up to replacing them. (11 years old and 100K miles).

2. Replacing the starter was due to the starter was acting up since 2 month ago. Sometime it won't start on the 1st key turn. (but all the light on the dash and my Navi is all on and bright).

However I got my car back on last Wed, then this Monday, all a suddent my battery is dead (I drove her everyday). Replaced a new one on Monday then today is dead again.

the only aftermarket part related to the electronic I have is the a Tien EDFC control as I have the CS coil over. but the EDFC unit was installed more than 5 years ago and never gave me any problem. I also checked when I turn off the car, the EDFC unit is off.

so my question is can any those thing (water pump, timing felt or starter's replacement) can cause anything? this time due to my indy guys' new dealer's restriction, I can't bring my car into a Lexus Dealer for him to work on. so he basically work on my car in his own home garage where he cliam he has all the tools. I am just wondering can he miss something accidently?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-09, 06:22 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drain Info

http://www.inliners.org/tech/tech6.html
Old 04-06-09, 05:45 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Thanks. and sorry for the late reply.

that link helps a lot. and it turns out there is very little water leaking into my driver side kick panel and was causing a short circuit with more than 3 amp when the car is off (normal should be 0.05 amp).

there are a orange and blue connectors in the kick panel just front and a bit above the the fuse panel. the blue connector was the source of the short circuit and was wet. there is no water bubble on the floor or anything so you know how little the leak was.

Now the problem is tracing why the water leak. the blue connector's wire seems goes through the fire wall and just below the Master Cylinder.

I never change the front window so there should not have any water leak. However I do have Tien EDFC which required some wire goes through the fire wall and it seems the installer of the EDFC use the same hole which the blue connector's wire goes though the fire wall. but that has been installed more than 5 years ago and never has any problem for me.

Now I just use a bit brake parts cleaner to clean the blue connector and hair dryer to dry everything up. I hope this will hold it up for a while.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-09, 06:16 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see you found the short! You are an ace!
Old 04-06-09, 06:22 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Haha, actually I didn't find the problem my self. all I did was identify there was a short with 3 amp when the car is off and by pulling the Alternator fuse (5amp) it will drop to 0.15 amp then by pulling the AM2 fuse (15 amp) it will drop another 0.1 amp to 0.05 amp.

then I gave the car to my indy guy who just replace my timing belt and starter one week ago. so he disconnect the alternator, same thing, he then look up the diagram and found that 2 fuses will only draw power in 3 areas and by checking one by one he found the blue connector was the problem.