GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

climate control servo

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 11:08 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
So where is this temp servo for the drivers side?
Is there a diagram showing all of the servos - and what they control?

How do I run a diagnostic to get errors codes?

Thanks much for any help - I am NOT looking forward to working on this - looks like it might turn into a real b-buster of a repair.
the temp servo for the drivers side is under the dash by the center console....this is the easiest of the 4 to get to. some directions are in post # 8 about this

as i said in the other thread diagnostics DO NOT SHOW BAD SERVOS

Originally Posted by SloGS400
thanks but those are for the passenger side, when i finally do my drivers side i will update that since the pics in this one are dead now

Last edited by sakataj; 01-18-11 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-18-11, 12:52 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian, your driver side servo will be dropped off at UPS on the way home from work tonight.

YMMV, but I'm a big guy 6'3" @ 250lbs. I had to remove the driver seat and place it in the back seat in order to get under the dash to swap it. Of the 4, it's BY FAR the easiest to swap, once you can get to it. There are 3 screws. The top one was partially blocked by a vent duct. I only reinstalled the other 2 screws when putting in the new one. Those 2 can do a good enough job without the top screw.

When I remove my dash for the tan to black swap I may go ahead and put the 3rd screw back in. Whole time for job, including a break to lube the driver seat gears/tracks, less than one hour.

I used a 1/4" ratchet with philips head bit to do the screws. A short screwdriver would also work.
Old 04-15-12, 04:20 PM
jose2006
Driver School Candidate

i have the same problem you have picture to see
Old 05-26-12, 03:26 PM
jimchar1
Driver School Candidate

i have my glove compartment out and will remove the 6 cd changer to access one servo i cant see good to tell if it is working. No cold on passenger
Old 05-26-12, 10:00 PM
sicklexo
Rookie

Hello idk if im posting it in the right place. My ac works good but at its coldest which is 65 but once i change it to 66,67,68 and above it blows it hot. Does anyone knows what it can be. It seems to me like i cant change the temperature cuz itll just blow it hot.
Old 07-28-12, 08:58 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sicklexo
Hello idk if im posting it in the right place. My ac works good but at its coldest which is 65 but once i change it to 66,67,68 and above it blows it hot. Does anyone knows what it can be. It seems to me like i cant change the temperature cuz itll just blow it hot.
I have a similar issue, but opposite. Mine will blow cold all the way up too about 78 or so. Then it is full blown, hot heat. Hot or frigid cold, I have no in between.
Old 07-28-12, 09:24 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

That would be a bad servo. Replace will fix it.
Old 08-24-12, 09:00 PM
MrGudbar99
Driver

The search function is great...
Anyway, I'm glad I found this because I had no Idea what the noise could have been. It started out as the clicking and then later, I was getting random hard buzzes. After reading a few comments on here, I went to check if I had some of the same problems with the heating/cooling, driver vs. pass side. Cooled just fine in all the modes, on both sides...but I was still getting the buzz. Then I checked the heat, which again, was fine. I was still getting the random buzzes until I put it on full blast heat. I haven't gotten the buzz back yet, so I'm curious about what happened. Everything still functions just like normal. I just hope I'm not jinxing myself by posting this.
Old 08-25-12, 10:18 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

U didn't jinx anything. They're on their way out. They usually die very slowly. One of mine took 2-3 years to finally stop making noise by dying. YMMV.

Why live with the hamsters, I mean noises?
Old 08-26-12, 09:34 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

oh man. since i bought my gs430 its been doing those buzzing sounds in the dash. i know this is servo motors, etc. sooner or later i will have to resolve this problem. i hope its not for a while. this webiste trul is gold or those who depend on DIYs and prefer to grow there knowledge instead of shortening they're pockets lol

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 08-26-12, 10:20 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Back in the day when mine started making noises, I asked my mechanic about what the noise was. He wasn't sure but made it sound like it would be expensive to troubleshoot and fix, but this was 7-8 years ago, back when it was much less well known.

Knowing what the solution is now, and how easy they are to replace, I'd swap them the first sign of noise. I just wish the DIY was around back then.
Old 08-26-12, 09:23 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want a temp fix for the passenger side "clicking" noise, which is the servo motor, click the "dual" button. On the driver side, select your desired temp and on the passenger side, select 82 degrees. Although the temp is hotter, it didn't blow out any hot air. Both side blew cold air and the clicking stopped almost immediately. Well, atleast on mines. I'd say it's just a temp fix for awhile until you can get the servo replaced and avoid the annoying clicking sound.
Old 12-01-12, 05:14 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

So I finally replaced the Driver's side servo - but BEWARE and save yourself hours of frustration. I took my old part to the dealer and got a replacement - exact same printed number on the part.

Tried for hours to install it (it's a bear getting that top screw!) but couldn't get it. Finally looked online and found that there are Right and Left hand versions (the arm is 180 degrees different).

And the the old part number now goes for the new (wrong) hand version.

What you want is part number 87106-30351.

If you get the part that has the identical number of your old broken one it'll be wrong!
Old 08-29-16, 03:06 PM
uniefresh
Driver School Candidate

Default 2001 is300 air not going to all vents

My moms Lexus is300 2001 is having issues as the air isn't coming out of the lower vents I believe she told me. Is this a servo motor issue. I don't believe it's making any noise I will check it out more tonight. Is it the worm gear slipping and it's not letting it open/close the flap.. And is it the servo at the bottom of the pass dash.. As I have fixed the temp servo with fixing the contacts so I'm fimiliar with the vehicle any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to take one thing apart and it's not the issue or spend money or time on something that doesn't need to be fixed thankyou for your time
Old 08-29-16, 03:11 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by uniefresh
My moms Lexus is300 2001 is having issues as the air isn't coming out of the lower vents I believe she told me. Is this a servo motor issue. I don't believe it's making any noise I will check it out more tonight. Is it the worm gear slipping and it's not letting it open/close the flap.. And is it the servo at the bottom of the pass dash.. As I have fixed the temp servo with fixing the contacts so I'm fimiliar with the vehicle any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to take one thing apart and it's not the issue or spend money or time on something that doesn't need to be fixed thankyou for your time
Sounds like dead servo. Replace or repair the mode servo. I think it's the one closer to the firewall than the temp servo. At least that's how it is on my GS.

Quick Reply: climate control servo