GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

So, she got repainted (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 11:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So, she got repainted (lots of pics)

Considering that the old thread was based on whether or not I should repaint, and we are now far past that, I thought it might be wise to create a whole new one since she will be coming home on Monday evening.

I went to the body shop today to check on the progress of the car and took a few pics to share. I was hoping to get the car back today or tomorrow but with all the work that they have done, it seems that I won't be getting it back until Monday evening...maybe Tuesday.

Anyway, here are the in-progress pics:

As I arrived they were priming and planning to repaint all of the "non-metal" parts of the body. It eerily looked like a biology experiment with all of my car's body strewn all over the place on different tables.

At the back of the room are the front and rear bumpers, to the left is the new TTE lip, in front are door handles and the rear lip spoiler. On the right side are the side view mirrors and other doorhandles. L-Tuned sides haven't been painted yet.

As I posted in the other thread, the guy who is handling my car recommended smoking my outer tails to match the inners which made me a little nervous at first but today he showed me the finished product and they look FANTASTIC. For some reason the color looks a little awkward in these pictures, probably partially because they were still in the paint booth, but they are more of a maroon color now than "red" as before. The inners that I ordered were a darker, richer red color than the outers which were like Coca-Cola red and he matched the outers to the inners. Also, he smoked only the red portion and left the clear part so I am very, very happy with the results.

Pic of the tails before (notice the color difference)

Old 04-10-09, 11:52 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

love it Micheal...can't wait to see it done....oh and FIRST....score.
Old 04-10-09, 11:52 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 04-10-09, 11:56 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!
Old 04-10-09, 11:58 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys! Brian I will be sure to take detailed pics of the finished product for you

Also, I chose to get the front amber (parking lights?) smoked as well. I think it was Debonair that suggested this a while ago and I asked if they would do it since they had my car apart anyway. They look good too.

I guess the next bunch of pics will be the finished product
Old 04-10-09, 11:59 AM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Danm! that looks like its gonna hit you hard in the pocket ! btw , what was the reason for her new paint...? scratches. swirls...??
Old 04-10-09, 12:03 PM
V8RdnLow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see it finished!
Old 04-10-09, 12:05 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AsGs300
Danm! that looks like its gonna hit you hard in the pocket ! btw , what was the reason for her new paint...? scratches. swirls...??
The previous owner did a Maaco-esque paint job before he sold the car in order to cover scratches and imperfections. Whoever did the paint work just painted over the old paint with no wetsanding, no prep work, and they didn't remove things like doorhandles or side mirrors. There was a lot of messy overspray on the accent pieces around the window line and the paint job as a whole was very poorly done.

Since I plan to own the GS for a long time (probably forever, to be honest) I figured that it was worth while to invest in a correct full overhaul, restoration, and repaint of the car.
Old 04-10-09, 12:08 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Also...ordered all new exterior chrome trim since many of the older pieces were faded. I am excited to see it all come together
Old 04-10-09, 12:13 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The previous owner did a Maaco-esque paint job before he sold the car in order to cover scratches and imperfections. Whoever did the paint work just painted over the old paint with no wetsanding, no prep work, and they didn't remove things like doorhandles or side mirrors. There was a lot of messy overspray on the accent pieces around the window line and the paint job as a whole was very poorly done.

Since I plan to own the GS for a long time (probably forever, to be honest) I figured that it was worth while to invest in a correct full overhaul, restoration, and repaint of the car.
That sucks on the previous owners behalf... but your on the right track! i look at my car as a good Long-term deal too, totally makes sense.. cant wait to see your " Brand New " Lexo!
Old 04-10-09, 12:51 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Thanks guys! Brian I will be sure to take detailed pics of the finished product for you

Also, I chose to get the front amber (parking lights?) smoked as well. I think it was Debonair that suggested this a while ago and I asked if they would do it since they had my car apart anyway. They look good too.

I guess the next bunch of pics will be the finished product
welcome sir...u shoulda gotten clear bumper lights and had them smoked also..

are they painting the side skirts i bought from you or you just having them l-tuned ones painted?
Old 04-10-09, 01:01 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I think they are actually painting the old ones and the new ones but I am not totally sure. I'll ask and find out.
Old 04-10-09, 01:08 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Saddle Up!

The car is looking really good from what we could see! Hopefully soon I can get my project finished! Money is hard to come by these day's!
Old 04-10-09, 01:15 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the new paint job
Old 04-10-09, 01:18 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see the finish product Mike..Good job...I see you going to go with Onyx black..

Quick Reply: So, she got repainted (lots of pics)