GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HID FOG/MOD mini DIY..

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 11:01 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HID FOG/MOD mini DIY..

Hello All,

Just wanted to share my recent Christmas present from bro-in-law. He hooked my up with some 3000k 35w HIDs. While i was doing it thought that i would give back as much thanks over the years of being a member here.

Well the fogs are pretty self explanatory but thought i would add pics for the curious. I also added the much wanted and much over due BananaGs fog light mod. http://bananags.grantham-internation...GS_DIY/FOGMOD/, this was also pretty easy but it just feels like a major job due to the electrical and removal of the dash pieces. Again, pretty easy and the BananaGS's pics speak for them selves.

HID install 15-20 mins,

Fog light Mod, 45-60 mins,

Start with removing the Fog screws,

Remove the old bulb from the housing and wiring,

Add the new wiring for the Ballast, double check your work to see the positive and the negatives are on the proper side. Each HID kit wiring will be a little different so refer to your paper work that was included with your purchase.

Add the double sided tape to the ballast and find a solid spot to mount the ballast. Important to clean surface really well. I chose the side as shown. I am sure others will ping in with there mounting spot of choice.

Many have been asking about the yellow capsule. Its a piece of yellow glass housed inside of the fog assembly that the bulb will sit in.

Here is a shot of one from my LS that was on a spare light. Note this one has the yellow glass removed but it gives you the idea.

I also have yellow fog assembly. Super cheap on lamin-x.com

Here is a shot of the lights warming up from 5sec. Pic on the left is stock, right is new HID

This is after about five minutes. Notice at cold HID start blue causing it to look greenish but after its warm nothing but bright yellow.

Shot to demonstrate the diffrance off of my garage. Like the solid line Again Right is stock vs HID

Full HID

Full HID

Now for my mini fog mod.

I will post more pics was kind of in a rush and had my little man all over me and the car. He loves cars more than i do, its great. My wife and i are currently potty training so the big guy is wearing is superman underoos. Worse part of the mod, he ended up dropping a duce so i had to pause and rush him out the car and in to the house. AHHH, not to get graphic but it was coming down his pants to his foot. Luckily it was solid. Joys of being a dad.

Sorry, back to the build.

Pretty easy just follow BananaGs' site. Read it over and over again so you know what you are doing and dont have to run back in to the house to the comp. I made all my wiring and connectors before the removal of dash and install this helped as i was ready to go once i had the relay off.

I used this $1 splice connector very easy and effective, Connect to the green and white wire.

Relay. Notice i only had red wire, i color coded with tape to make it easy on my self. Plus i wanted to save $15 on 4 different shades of wire.

Thats about it,

Good luck, enjoy
Old 01-07-10, 11:06 PM
lo_dit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work. HID fogs turned out nicely. the DIY fog mod is one of the best and cheapest out there as well.
Old 01-07-10, 11:13 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks for sharing the DIY Fog Mod.
Old 01-07-10, 11:23 PM
vipjason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up.....
Old 01-07-10, 11:35 PM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! I want to do this too!
Old 01-08-10, 04:25 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I run HID's fogs myself, and couldnt agree more they look great at night, and good job on the the fog mod as well