GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2001 Gs300.. WONT START!:(

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 05:23 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm thinking siezed motor as well, hope not though for your sake.

Was the needle all the way when you turned it off? Or was it still rising? I don't know if it could also be a blown gasket or cracked head either... Have you checked the colour of the oil on the cap yourself or the colour of the coolant in the reservoir?
Old 07-24-11, 07:17 AM
prostock1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My money is on the engine locked up.

If you drive a car overheating to the point that is dies, then there will be engine damage.

The engines in these newer cars aren't cast iron Big Block Chevy's that can be overheated on a regular basis then cooled off and go on down the road.

The engines of today run less coolant in the head and block area, so when they overheat it's pretty extreme real fast.

This is the one thing that really kills most BMW's with the 2.5 or 3.0 six cylinder engine. It has a alum. block and head, and most drivers will encounter a simple coolant leak, that turns into a $7000.00 nightmare.
Old 07-25-11, 01:16 AM
kaisis300
Driver School Candidate

Yea I was driving mine and it was so hot that the car turned off. So ill be heading in to get information pertaining to the problem. It sounds like a vaccum when I try and turn the car on so hopefully its not seized but I suppose well see. What can you attribute it to when the engine is making a noise like that?
Old 07-25-11, 04:56 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by kaisis300
Yea I was driving mine and it was so hot that the car turned off. So ill be heading in to get information pertaining to the problem. It sounds like a vaccum when I try and turn the car on so hopefully its not seized but I suppose well see. What can you attribute it to when the engine is making a noise like that?
You didn't tell me you kept driving while it was hot? With that information, everything I pm'ed you is worthless.
Old 07-25-11, 04:58 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pay attention.

this is a OLD thread. Why are people responding? lol
Old 07-25-11, 07:23 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Pay attention.

this is a OLD thread. Why are people responding? lol
Obviously you're not paying attention either... Read the last post of the first page. A New member did the right thing and didnt start another thread in regards to an already talked about topic.

sadly, new members get flamed for starting new threads for not searching and get flamed for searching and bringing up new threads... I guess they cant win.
Old 08-01-11, 03:13 AM
kaisis300
Driver School Candidate

i put water in it and it cooled off and then i preceded to go home and then the car turned off completely so now it wont start so everything that you said wasnt actually all for not lol but i suppose well see when i take it in
Old 08-01-11, 09:42 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by speed3000g
I dont know if Lexus has the same parts as a dodge ram that i encountered last week, but theres a part called the coolant temperature sensor which may have died with the extreme temperature of the coolant when it erupted... and it might not let the engine start as a precaution.. Not sure if thats how the system works, but could be worth a try. Im in Mesquite/Garland and took my moms GS300 to JeffTsai up in Allen... just sux that u cant get your car moving in the first place to take to him! good luck
This is a true statement. OBD II vehicles are strictly based on Emissions and Safety. If the CPU detects something that is not rational, it will either set a code or stop the car. ECT sensor is one of the priority sensor. The reason why the car stopped was because the ECU is seeing a spike in temperature, in order to save the engine from blowing/overheat bad it automatically shuts off the engine.
Old 08-01-11, 10:07 AM
tinman
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
This is a true statement. OBD II vehicles are strictly based on Emissions and Safety. If the CPU detects something that is not rational, it will either set a code or stop the car. ECT sensor is one of the priority sensor. The reason why the car stopped was because the ECU is seeing a spike in temperature, in order to save the engine from blowing/overheat bad it automatically shuts off the engine.
Hum... you sure? It seems to me there have been posts on here about 2JZ engines overheating and not turning off before they are damaged. Also, you'd think we would have heard about faulty ECT sensors turning cars off, but I don't recall such a thing.
Old 08-01-11, 02:06 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

The spike was not high enough.
Old 08-01-11, 04:07 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

While building my drag car, I forgot to reinstall my sensor and my car started fine
Old 08-01-11, 08:59 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Forgetting to reinstall the ECT, the CPU will see the car as cold. The ECT has a Negative Temperature Coefficient resistor, as resistance goes up temperature goes down, as resistance goes down, temperature goes up. So, in your case, an open circuit ECT will show cold. Car will run rich, CEL will turn ON.

As for the spike I was talking about, that's only during the car on and the CPU detected a spike, HIGH TEMP prolong, it will shut engine down so it doesn't do damage.
Old 09-21-11, 08:10 AM
pnewman30
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to jump on board here looking for some guidance too. Last night my wife calls me and says her SC300 overheated and she pulled off on the highway. I get to the car and she tells me that steam blew out from under the hood. A LOT of steam. She indicated there was no loss of power at any time/low RPM's, rough idle, etc. But that when she pulled over during full steaming that the car felt like it wanted to die, lol. Gotta love the descriptions! She additionally said that smoke/steam was coming out of the tailpipes while she waited for me to arrive.

I got to the car 30 min later and the temp needle is pinned at H. There was a milky explosion under the hood coming from the radiator cap. I tried to start the car and it would crank, but not pull over.

I tow it home and take a deeper look into it:

1. Radiator is empty
2. Coolant reservoir is full
3. Temp needle is back down to C
4. Dip stick has no oil on it. NONE. ZERO. NADA. - further there is no milky liquid on it.

I filled up the radiator with green 50/50 and coolant began to leak out the bottom under the car (indicating crack somewhere). I tried to again crank it, but it won't turn over. It will crank, but not turn over. I never recall seeing any milky stuff in the dip stick and have the oil changed regularly.

I'm going to put a quart of oil in the car in a few hours and try to start again. Did she blow the head gasket? Would a blown HG stop the car from starting? I've revoked her Lexus privileges permanently by the way.
Old 09-21-11, 08:52 AM
tinman
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pnewman30
Did she blow the head gasket? Would a blown HG stop the car from starting? I've revoked her Lexus privileges permanently by the way.
Wasn't her fault. Probably was a head gasket. It *could* be a faulty radiator cap, but I doubt it because you said the radiator discharge was milky, and the fact that it looked like steamy coolant was coming out the tail pipe when the engine was off are dead give aways. A compression test will tell you for sure. (low compression is probably why the engine won't start and why she said it sounded like it was going to die when she pulled over) The coolant leak is certainly of concern. =(

Last edited by tinman; 09-21-11 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-21-11, 12:29 PM
pnewman30
Driver School Candidate

The engine has 170k on it. If the HG is blown (I find out tomorrow) i don't think I'm rebuilding it. I don't have the time or skill to work on it myself so I'm going to have to bring it in. Can someone who has been there before give me an idea of the cost for the following:

1. Replace the HG in my stock 2jzGE
2. Swap a 1j turbo into it
3. Swap a 2j turbo into it

Can I get a swap done under $2,500? I know I can get a 1j turbo for $1,250 here in Atlanta. They're also all over eBay too. Help! Lol.