GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Fog Lights w High Beams??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 10:01 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fog Lights w High Beams??

-Anyone know how to bypass the fog light cut-off when the high beams are on?? I know it's a safety issue so you won't blind oncoming traffic but come on! All a search came up with waz turnin the fogs on w/o the headlights...
Old 09-23-02, 11:11 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hah damn! I was gonna post that question too!
You da man :P
Old 09-23-02, 11:32 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Check this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=fogs+only
Old 09-23-02, 11:37 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I posted about this a while back and all I got was some flack from a few members. To those of you who commented, The car has not burned down like you may have thought. I also know of another thread where the person did some modifcation to the relay and now has to buy a new one. If you are really interested, PM me and I will get you the information.

Once again, here is the thread when it was initially discussed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=54035

aloha
HI98GS
Old 09-24-02, 02:25 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Can someone with a maintenance manual please post the lighting wire diagram?
Old 09-24-02, 02:27 PM
LexFather

Fog lamps with high beams is illegal, FYI...
Old 09-24-02, 03:20 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by HI98GS
I posted about this a while back and all I got was some flack from a few members. To those of you who commented, The car has not burned down like you may have thought. I also know of another thread where the person did some modifcation to the relay and now has to buy a new one. If you are really interested, PM me and I will get you the information.

Once again, here is the thread when it was initially discussed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=54035

aloha
HI98GS
in one of your posts in this thread you said you going post more pictures "tomorow" i'm guessing that was long long time ago where are those pictures?

alexus
Old 09-24-02, 04:41 PM
girvan
Rookie

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Fog lamps with high beams is illegal, FYI...
Foglamps

24403. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two foglamps which may be used with, but shall not be used in substitution of, headlamps. Fog lamps shall be mounted on the front at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes.

Amended Ch. 341, Stats. 1969. Effective November 10, 1969
Old 09-24-02, 04:42 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

And if it's foggy, using high beams will merely white out the fog in front of you, fog lamps or not. Plus fogs won't contribute to your vision in circumstances where you'd use your high beams, either.

Just doing it for show??
Old 09-24-02, 09:36 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Well so far I've found the following:

"Hey, how do I do this??? VinnyIS300 has his fogs hooked up solo to the OEM switch... He pulled out the relay, bent one of the prongs so it doesn't plug in and then tied a wire around the then put it into his ignition fuse... And it works... I tried to do it with him and on my GS I had no luck.... I can do it by putting in another switch in but I want to use the switch by the steering wheel.... "

Anyone try this on the GS? I'm not going to add an additional switch so I can bypass the cut-off (I want to use the OEM switch)....there should be a way to trick the relay??

It justs adds a bit more light w the high beams and it does look cool...& I always flick the h-beams off for on-coming vehicles.
Old 09-24-02, 10:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by girvan

Foglamps

24403. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two foglamps which may be used with, but shall not be used in substitution of, headlamps. Fog lamps shall be mounted on the front at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes.

Amended Ch. 341, Stats. 1969. Effective November 10, 1969
is that for the whole US?
Old 09-26-02, 01:00 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Bump..anyone?
Old 09-27-02, 08:03 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Come on people don't leave me in the dark!!
Old 09-27-02, 11:20 PM
girvan
Rookie

Sorry no pictures and not too many specifics but this works:

Connect a 1 Amp diode between pin 14 (Red with Black strip) and pin 11 (Green with Black stripe) on the headlamp switch connector, with the + end of the diode connected to pin 14. To protect from installation mistakes put a 1 amp fuse in series with the diode. This grounds the fog relay when the headlight relay is grounded. Power comes to the existing 15A fog fuse directly from a 120A fuseable link so no fear of overload.

BEWARE; MISTAKES CAN MELT WIRES, OR CAUSE FIRES!

The connector is at the lower left of the steering wheel assembly. To remove plastic cover the wheel needs to be telescoped to max and the 3 screws removed, two hiding behind a straight-ahead steering wheel. The two halves are snapped together.

This works on my car (98 GS400 with no DLR lights) and should work on cars with DLR (Canadian, US 99+). Also works with all the combinations of switching states (auto off, auto on, flash etc. etc.) Fogs stay on with HIGH or low headlights, and off as before with parking lights. Great for twisty/hilly roads and country lanes. Not much use for straight highway driving.
Old 09-27-02, 11:24 PM
girvan
Rookie

Originally posted by rominl

is that for the whole US?
CA

Others listed in this rather curious site... Interesting comments on blue bulbs and modified lights!

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/

Quick Reply: Fog Lights w High Beams??