GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

*DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-13, 05:36 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are plenty of different ways to do this. The way of taking it apart and soldering and cutting costs next to nothing. All those adapters cost a lot more. And also, those adapters are for only the big antenna part. Some cars have a dual antenna in.
Old 08-11-13, 05:37 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

And to the sound quality, it would be the same.
Old 08-12-13, 10:41 AM
JayNunu
Rookie

The reason I took apart the headunit and did it the way I did was to have it right in front of the radio, have no switches or relays, and it cost me less than 5 bucks. It doesn't matter where you interrupt the FM signal, the sound quality will be the same. The quality is better than the FM signal because your source has better quality. (iPod, phone, MP3, etc.) I didn't want to spend 30-100 dollars to have an input.
Old 08-12-13, 09:14 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

It's 5 wires. Right positive in, right positive out, left positive in, left positive out, and a common ground. And yes they all go to the plug that's in the front face.
Old 08-12-13, 09:17 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

The second to last picture shows you what wires on the board go to the pins on the aux jack.
Old 08-13-13, 01:16 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by statix04
Yea no forget it, honestly I already went with your method on a spare head unit I have, figured why poay more, have more of a unit when I was just a tiny little AUX hole like his, Thanks Jay! but while I have your attention! Ive soldered the wires all onto the circuit board, but I just dont clearly understand what you do with the six soldered wires? they all connect to the AUX port? I just need to go buy one of those, just a AUX input is all it is right?
you wouldnt happen to have photo's of this end would you? that would have really been nice to see dang
radioshack has the AUX...make sure you ask for the 5 solder point aux, because these people here didn't know what the hell i was talking about when i asked for an AUX input. BTW JAY, no love for the ML Navi unit yet?
Old 08-17-13, 03:52 PM
Nycgs300
Banned Scammer Created Multiple Accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job on this...
Old 08-19-13, 08:40 AM
JayNunu
Rookie

Originally Posted by BBRolex

radioshack has the AUX...make sure you ask for the 5 solder point aux, because these people here didn't know what the hell i was talking about when i asked for an AUX input. BTW JAY, no love for the ML Navi unit yet?
I have had no luck with anyone sending me a unit or detailed pictures of any navi head unit. I did just pick up a 02 IS300 that I will be taking apart to figure out. Someone must have thought it was a 7 disk changer and broke everything inside by adding an extra disk. Oh and that's why I took the picture of the aux plug package with the part number.
Old 08-19-13, 08:41 AM
JayNunu
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nycgs300
Great job on this...
Thank you!
Old 09-13-13, 05:15 PM
99GS300Guy
Driver School Candidate

Hey awesome thread. I recently did the first part of this install and it sounded GREAT. Instead of mounting the aux in the front of the radio I just ran a wire up through the front of the tape deck. Didn't look too good, but it sounded awesome

However, today when I went to mount the aux to the front of the faceplate I now no longer have any LCD display and the volume **** doesn't work at all anymore. I get sound but I can't adjust the volume and the LCD screen is totally blank.

Any ideas what could be going wrong?

tldr: did the install, sounded great, but now LCD and volume don't work, need help!
Old 09-14-13, 04:43 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

I would say take it back apart and make sure everything is plugged back in and nothing is being pinched by the wires you added.
Old 11-20-13, 11:40 PM
XXXdc5
Driver School Candidate

This is awesome!! Thank you, it worked like a charm
Old 12-16-13, 02:20 PM
villan
Driver School Candidate

anyone is Seattle are willing to help me out? I'll compensate for your time.
Old 12-27-13, 10:25 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Biatchin ! ! ! !

Works GREAT...
Only issue is a lot of alternator / ignition noise if I'm charging the phone at the same time.
Other than that - awesome.

Thanks Jay - You Da Man!

Update: Static / alternator / ignition noise goes away when you take care of the ground loop as discussed in this thread.
Ground the lighter to the radio. . easy fix.
Outside of cigarette lighter is ground...lead wire to bolts holding radio.
Then again...streaming music takes like no juice from the phone.

All this for for like $4.00 of parts and an hour or two of my time..long overdue.

Again . .Thank YOU Jay!!!!
Attached Thumbnails *DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit-hu.jpg   *DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit-hu2.jpg  

Last edited by xfea; 03-10-14 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-09-14, 01:36 PM
Rayne
Driver School Candidate

We just did this to both mt gs300 and my hubby's gs400 works like a charm and we took plenty of picks I was gonna do a write up and give this guy credit for an awesome fix!

Quick Reply: *DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit