GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Broken Motor Mount / Clunking when Braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 07:45 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alexus-Kia,

when did you hear the noise on your GS?
Old 09-21-04, 08:39 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

My friends, if you only knew. I have been living with this clunking for over a year, and I hate my GS because of it!

Santa Monica Lexus replaced virtually the entire front suspension on my car and the noise won't go away. I printed every "clunking" post on CL and brought it to the service advisor and even met personally with the shop foreman.

I have taken my car to the dealer and left it at least 5 times for this and have the service records to prove it. My next step now is to try to get out of my lease.
Old 09-21-04, 08:42 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

Did you hear it when turning exactly as I described it?

Originally posted by Ex996
My friends, if you only knew. I have been living with this clunking for over a year, and I hate my GS because of it!

Santa Monica Lexus replaced virtually the entire front suspension on my car and the noise won't go away. I printed every "clunking" post on CL and brought it to the service advisor and even met personally with the shop foreman.

I have taken my car to the dealer and left it at least 5 times for this and have the service records to prove it. My next step now is to try to get out of my lease.
Old 09-21-04, 09:52 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally posted by aerodragon
Did you hear it when turning exactly as I described it?
slow speed turning, braking. When I go down my circular subterranean garage downtown there is a constant CLUNK, clunk, CLUNK, clunk along with a groaning sound that sounds like something is rubbing somewhere. Both sounds in direct coordination with the front end going up and down.
Old 09-21-04, 10:03 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Ex996
slow speed turning, braking. When I go down my circular subterranean garage downtown there is a constant CLUNK, clunk, CLUNK, clunk along with a groaning sound that sounds like something is rubbing somewhere. Both sounds in direct coordination with the front end going up and down.
How 'bout in reverse, like when backing out of a parking space? Sounds like it could be control arm bushings but would be very surprising to occur on a 2003, practically a new car. Usually takes at least 75,000 mi for the rubber bushings to wear enough to cause that kind of clunking noise.
Old 09-22-04, 10:23 AM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DetMich1
How 'bout in reverse, like when backing out of a parking space? Sounds like it could be control arm bushings but would be very surprising to occur on a 2003, practically a new car. Usually takes at least 75,000 mi for the rubber bushings to wear enough to cause that kind of clunking noise.
I believe it's more a function of front suspension travel, but your control arm theory isn't a bad one. I'll have that checked next time, provided I still have the car.

I would love to lemon my way into an '05 but I'm not sure I can wait that long...
Old 09-22-04, 09:28 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

my car has been doing since i believe july...it does it while breaking i believe...not reversing only driving!
Old 09-22-04, 10:04 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

I was playing around in my car tonite and guess what...

I can duplicate the sound which is related to the brake. When car is idling, just press the brake 4 times and a click sound will follow. I hit my brake like 20 times and got 5 "click" sound.

I don't know if that's one you guys are describing but that's the only one i m getting.

I will bring that to Lexus dealership and see why

hope it helps
Old 09-22-04, 10:53 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

YEP thats most likely the sound cuz whn i press my brake in to the floor when parked i hear the magical "clunk" sound!
Old 09-23-04, 10:33 AM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Alexus-Kia
YEP thats most likely the sound cuz whn i press my brake in to the floor when parked i hear the magical "clunk" sound!
Just make sure you don't confused the "click" or "clunk" sound with the electronic release of the shift lever. It's the lock that requires the brake pedal to be depressed before you can shift out of park.

Mine is a definite suspension problem- squeaking/groaning combined with clunking. What a nice concert.
Old 09-23-04, 08:02 PM
JCHO
Rookie

EX996

I feel for ya. I have same problem as you described for about 6 months or so. I hear a clunk (or clunk clunk) and slight squeak. This seems to happen when I am turning my steering wheel and/or applying brake at the same time. Low speeds.

I have had 3 shops check it out and all for naught. First 2 shops they couldn't duplicate it, 3rd shop mechanic heard the noise at first but couldn't figure out the problem because he couldn't duplicate it again.

I bought this car about 2 years ago with 26,000 miles on it but with all the sun roof rattle, wheel balance problems and this clunk noise, it makes me wonder if I would buy any Lexus automobiles in future.

Don't get me wrong. I like my GS4, a beautiful car with nice power, handling,etc... but these little problems are very annoying. Like my ex I guess.
Old 09-24-04, 07:57 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally posted by JCHO
EX996

I feel for ya. I have same problem as you described for about 6 months or so. I hear a clunk (or clunk clunk) and slight squeak. This seems to happen when I am turning my steering wheel and/or applying brake at the same time. Low speeds.

I have had 3 shops check it out and all for naught. First 2 shops they couldn't duplicate it, 3rd shop mechanic heard the noise at first but couldn't figure out the problem because he couldn't duplicate it again.

I bought this car about 2 years ago with 26,000 miles on it but with all the sun roof rattle, wheel balance problems and this clunk noise, it makes me wonder if I would buy any Lexus automobiles in future.

Don't get me wrong. I like my GS4, a beautiful car with nice power, handling,etc... but these little problems are very annoying. Like my ex I guess.
That's funny! I have an ex too but I will tell you the GS probs bother me more b/c I'm still paying for that one every month!!

Car goes back in Monday and I'm going to get very involved. I'll be under the car myself if I have too!!
Old 09-24-04, 08:37 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

Ex996:

if you don't mind me asking, what other things on your GS that lead you to go to dealer?
Old 01-23-13, 09:28 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aerodragon
Ex996:

if you don't mind me asking, what other things on your GS that lead you to go to dealer?
Hey Aero, can you believe it took me almost 10 years to see your question? Wow. My bad. That '03 was plagued with suspension problems. Got rid of some but not all issue eventually but then just broke the lease and got an '06, which was a whole 'nother story!!!!
Old 01-23-13, 10:17 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Ex996, thanks for finding your way back here!

We are all curious, did migrating to the 2006 eliminate all your suspension problems once and for all? lol

Quick Reply: Broken Motor Mount / Clunking when Braking