GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dash Rattles!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 04:57 PM
mfaile
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Rattles!!!!

Anyone experienced dash rattles on the GS430? I have rattles going all the way across the dash. It's going to Lexus Service in the morning. I placed some cardboard between the windshield and the dash and it helped some. Any ideas??
Old 12-12-06, 05:01 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let us know what they come up with.
Old 12-12-06, 05:17 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

From what others have posted and my personal experience, the cold weather makes the rattles appear. There is a TSIB regarding the rattles on another thread but the effectiveness of the fix remains to be seen.
Old 12-12-06, 08:14 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

yep, known problem. Soon as it get cold again, taking my 430 to another dealer. Oh, also they said they will fix the screw up the other dealer did when the cut the crap out of the paint when cutting the retainer clip post. ugg. Not sure of any success stories.
Old 12-12-06, 08:20 PM
Firstlps
Driver

Originally Posted by GS2006
yep, known problem. Soon as it get cold again, taking my 430 to another dealer. Oh, also they said they will fix the screw up the other dealer did when the cut the crap out of the paint when cutting the retainer clip post. ugg. Not sure of any success stories.
Who was the dealer that failed to fix the problem?
Old 12-12-06, 09:17 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Firstlps
Who was the dealer that failed to fix the problem?
Sent you a PM
Old 12-13-06, 04:22 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

O H the never ending D A S H R A T T L E !
BAH>

even have it in my 07 450h. ANNOYING< <<<<<<<<<----------------

the sun, heats the leather, which makes it softer, which causes the noise to go away.
EVERY MORNING though. I hear it all the farkin way to work. SO ANNOYING
Old 12-13-06, 11:22 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

Not much that they can do. I've had rattles and creaks since day one. They've filled the dash with enough foam to make a large stuffed teddy bear. I've even had the windshield replaced. In the cold the rattles still come back. Guess I will just live with it for 6 more months until my LS600hL shows up
Old 12-14-06, 06:23 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DrComputer
Not much that they can do. I've had rattles and creaks since day one. They've filled the dash with enough foam to make a large stuffed teddy bear. I've even had the windshield replaced. In the cold the rattles still come back. Guess I will just live with it for 6 more months until my LS600hL shows up
Dr. Did you respond to the POLL a few post down (maybe on the second page now)? If you could out line what they did from the invoice, it would be helpfull.

Yes, I've been living with it. However since I saw the damage to the paint under the windshield, I have decided to take it back and at least get that fixed. Other than getting less than par service with a smile and a coke and the noise, I like this car.
Old 12-14-06, 06:59 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Jace,
Curious, Is your car in a garage in the morning? If so, what is the temp? Do you warm up the car before leaving?

My car: stored in garage
Temp lately mid to upper 40’s when leaving
No warm up
Temp in Garage around 55-60.

No rattle when first starting out in the morning.
About 20 miles into commute, hit right type of road and it starts up.

In the morning if I push on the dash on PS by the window in the garage it most of the time makes no noise.
Get to work, push on the dash on PS by the window at work, get slight ticking/poping noise.

Seems to be worse when cold outside and cabin warmed up.
Old 12-14-06, 09:16 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS2006
Jace,
Curious, Is your car in a garage in the morning? If so, what is the temp? Do you warm up the car before leaving?

My car: stored in garage
Temp lately mid to upper 40’s when leaving
No warm up
Temp in Garage around 55-60.

No rattle when first starting out in the morning.
About 20 miles into commute, hit right type of road and it starts up.

In the morning if I push on the dash on PS by the window in the garage it most of the time makes no noise.
Get to work, push on the dash on PS by the window at work, get slight ticking/poping noise.

Seems to be worse when cold outside and cabin warmed up.
Agree. My garage isn't heated, might install a gas line and cook that sucker in the night. probably not.
It gets to be about 20 at night, first thing in the morning when I am leaving it's about 30 degrees.
When I drive to work the whole way it rattles, when I leave, after my car has cooked in the direct sun, even if it's still 30-40 degrees, but has been able to get direct sun to soften leather, no rattle.

When I push on the dash by the right speaker and around the windshield, NO rattle.

Don't know what to do. I sent the service bulletin to my service advisor, he said "thanks" but I haven't had time to even see if they can fix it for a second attempt.
I'm worried b/c when you take it apart, from factory, it is never the same.
pondering what to do if anything....
Old 12-18-06, 05:32 PM
mfaile
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed!!!!

Got the car back from Service today. ALL OF THE DASH RATTLES ARE FIXED. The replaced some clips at the windshield and a few other parts under a TSB. Drives like a new car now.
Old 12-18-06, 10:44 PM
Franknyc30
Driver

my car developed the rattle when it got very cold here in NYC. since then the temp has been a little warmer and guess what no rattles. im close to my first oil change and ill address that problem then.
Old 12-19-06, 11:02 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

so I took it in, and still NOT FIXED.

story:
took it in drove with the tech. I said you hear that, fix it. He said last time he changed all the clips and everythign shoulda been fine. He thought it was speaker casing and cover b/c when he put his hand on that area it stopped.
The maint. review, said fixed and insulated, no rattle.
GUESS WHAT< STILL A FARKIN RATTLE!!!!
blasted......
what to do. oh well.
Old 12-19-06, 11:16 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Rattles and wind noise are an big issue with cars designed to be coffin quiet.

Any noise is amplified and becomes annoying.

Next time, get a GS with racing exhausts and crank up the volume on the stereo. You will never get rid of rattles, leather creaks, window seals creaks, etc.

Quick Reply: Dash Rattles!!!!