GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS and 2007 GS MP3's WMAs

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 06:25 PM
mcgrady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GS and 2007 GS MP3's WMAs

Hey guys,

It's a great community here, but there's one thing that I'm wondering about as I continue to shop for a GS

What's the deal with mp3s, I've read and searched everywhere but havn't found a definitive clearcut answer as of yet.

1. Do 2006 models with ML have mp3 compatability?
2. Do 2007 with and without have mp3 compatability?
3. Does it support ID and text on the nav screen?
4. can you put mp3s on DVDs?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-05-07, 10:51 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgrady
Hey guys,

It's a great community here, but there's one thing that I'm wondering about as I continue to shop for a GS

What's the deal with mp3s, I've read and searched everywhere but havn't found a definitive clearcut answer as of yet.

1. Do 2006 models with ML have mp3 compatability?

Thanks in advance guys.
1-3-4 negatory in 06GS. Do the Vaistech iPod upgrade--it makes all the difference.
Old 04-05-07, 10:54 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgrady

Thanks in advance guys.
Don't know about the 06, but my 07 with NAV does play MP3's with no problems. It displays information on the NAV while in Audio mode, but restricts what all you can access/see while the car is moving. Regarding DVD audio, you can if you opt for the ML system.
Old 04-05-07, 11:24 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I think he is referring to MP3s on a DVD-R disc so you can burn 4.7gb of files vs a 800mb on a CD-R. I have no problems with CD-R MP3 discs but I have never gotten a DVD-R to work for me. Someone on CL has stated that they have done it though.
Old 04-06-07, 04:16 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Text

Originally Posted by DrexLex
1-3-4 negatory in 06GS. Do the Vaistech iPod upgrade--it makes all the difference.
my 06 shows text on cd's in the audio mode
Old 04-06-07, 09:12 AM
audimerc
Driver

Whats with people and mp3's and ML systems anyways. If you have a ML system do you really want to play mp3 through it? Use wave files or store bought cd otherwise you are not getting the full potential of your audio system. Yaya a lot of people say mp3 is lossless but it really isn't, and if you can't here the difference than you shouldn't go with an ML system or if you did you just wasted your money.

flame suit on!
Old 04-06-07, 10:24 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by audimerc
Whats with people and mp3's and ML systems anyways. If you have a ML system do you really want to play mp3 through it? Use wave files or store bought cd otherwise you are not getting the full potential of your audio system. Yaya a lot of people say mp3 is lossless but it really isn't, and if you can't here the difference than you shouldn't go with an ML system or if you did you just wasted your money.

flame suit on!
There have been many discussions on this topic but the ML system doesn't sound any better than the standard Lexus system. Many have stated this and I agree. The only way to fully realize the potential of the ML system is to use DVD-Audio discs but even that mode seems overly processed to me. The ML system has awful imaging, the soundstage is way too low and it's skewed towards optimal performance with surround sound sources. If you can improve that with CDs vs MP3s, more power to you but I highly doubt it will make a difference.

Last edited by 2thfixr; 04-06-07 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-06-07, 10:29 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

flame suit on!
I have many MP3 CDs that are of a higher Bit Rate and sound great on the ML system. Nothing like having 100 songs on a CD. Yes I'm sure that the actual audio file uncompressed sounds bettre, but not much if encoded correctly. Not to mention that you can organize the songs in folders with text that will show up on the Nav screen. Nicer than just a CD.
Old 04-08-07, 12:59 PM
GlockMan9c
Rookie

flame suit on!
GIVE ME A BREAK.

There is no doubt that an MP3 does not sound as good as the original CD but it is just plain ridiculous to tell someone to down grade their stereo if they listen to them. I am in the audio industry and you have to be an idiot to not think that the future of audio is digital compression and distribution.

I assure you that at 80 mph on an interstate under construction with your sunroom vented that your MP3 player is not the weakest link of your audio reproduction.
Old 04-08-07, 02:02 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GlockMan9c
I assure you that at 80 mph on an interstate under construction with your sunroom vented that your MP3 player is not the weakest link of your audio reproduction.
Hey, you got a sunroom with your GS? Damn it. I knew I didn't get some upgrades with my car, but this is the final straw. No wonder they gave me such a deal.
Old 04-08-07, 02:11 PM
chikken
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
Hey, you got a sunroom with your GS? Damn it. I knew I didn't get some upgrades with my car, but this is the final straw. No wonder they gave me such a deal.
whats a sunroom?? did you mean sunROOF?? if so, i can't believe you don't have a sunroof?? i thought all GS model comes standard with a sunroof....
Old 04-08-07, 04:23 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chikken
whats a sunroom?? did you mean sunROOF?? if so, i can't believe you don't have a sunroof?? i thought all GS model comes standard with a sunroof....
What;s the big deal over spelling - I say Sooooo Wat opps thats what.
Old 04-08-07, 04:28 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chikken
Re-Read Glock's post. He said "sunroom." Now, clearly, no car currently on the market comes with a sunroom. I was simply trying to have some fun.
Old 04-08-07, 04:29 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by osokuko
What;s the big deal over spelling - I say Sooooo Wat opps thats what.
Re-read Glock's post. He said "sunroom." I thought that was funny. I mean picture it, a GS driving down the highway with a SUNROOM attached to it. Nevermind.
Old 04-08-07, 05:17 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
Re-read Glock's post. He said "sunroom." I thought that was funny. I mean picture it, a GS driving down the highway with a SUNROOM attached to it. Nevermind.
Me too just having some fun. Hey check out my new ride pictures in the "offcial 2006 gs modification thread" the last post. I love this GS350.

Last edited by osokuko; 04-08-07 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 GS and 2007 GS MP3's WMAs