GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 headlight pattern- is this correct?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 11:28 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 headlight pattern- is this correct?

See the attached picture. I don't see it like this form my Sienna van, nor from other cars. Do you think the right side is low? In really dark area, you can tell that the right side is lower. if you can zoom in on it, you can use garage door lines as markers. This is fairly close about <10ft away. So you can imagine how much greater it is at a 20ft. Just wondering if yours look like this.
Attached Thumbnails GS350 headlight pattern- is this correct?-light.jpg  
Old 01-24-08, 11:31 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

right side is too low...that or the left side is too high.
Old 01-24-08, 11:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

indeed. i believe right side should be higher than the left side?
Old 01-25-08, 12:50 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

OK thanks. When I took it in for my first oilchange, I asked them to fix that. That's the fix. The next oild change I guess its the button, the lights again, and the center dash creaking. I better remember to make sure I get a loaner.

edit: I just noticed my fog light.... is it just me or the left one alot higher? And before you say is the ground being uneven, my driveway is flat. Even IF it was slanted to the right, its not off my 6inches between the wheels.
Old 01-25-08, 03:35 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heh, for the fog lights the left seems A LOT higher than the right. Did you install aftermarket bulbs or something?
Old 01-25-08, 05:54 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely looks to be out of alignment to me. I had to adjust the "factory setting" on our '07 GS350 as well when first brought home. Both the low and high beams have a level indicator on them (you can see it once all the engine compartment trim is removed). Instructions, though mostly useless, are in the manual on p534 IIRC for the '07. Anyhow, the passenger side beam alignment was ok (bubble right over center hash mark). Drivers side was pathetically low; beleive it or not it was centered on the -4 hash . I reset them both to +1 and all is good now. Don't trust the dealer to set them correctly b/c they will, by default, set it to the factory spec which IMNSHO is still too low.
Old 01-25-08, 06:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

burgboxstr, I heard you need a 12 inch #2 phillips screwdriver for the vertical adjustment of the headlights. If you take the engine cover off, do you still need this special long screw driver?
Old 01-25-08, 07:53 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

refer to the manual, you can manually adjust the headlight and it has a measurement thing bulit in. Gotta love the attention to detail.
Old 01-25-08, 08:50 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I have that screwdriver. I know I tried it when I first got the car, but I noticed if you did it wrong, it would be easy to strip the gear so I stopped.

The manual really doesnt say if you had to do the adjustment with the car on or off either.

Does the fog lights have adjustments in them?
Old 01-25-08, 09:01 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by starstreak
I have that screwdriver. I know I tried it when I first got the car, but I noticed if you did it wrong, it would be easy to strip the gear so I stopped.

The manual really doesnt say if you had to do the adjustment with the car on or off either.

Does the fog lights have adjustments in them?
yes, you can adjust the foglight too. a bit more complicated.
Old 01-25-08, 09:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Am I correct to say that if you remove the engine cover, you dont need the special screwdriver?
Old 01-25-08, 09:46 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Am I correct to say that if you remove the engine cover, you dont need the special screwdriver?
engine covers are held down by clips

just press down on the center and it will pop open.
Old 01-25-08, 01:28 PM
GatorWPB
Driver

My headlights look to be off about that exact same amount. Im just going to wait till my 5K maintenance visit (like 1700 mi.) and have Lexus do it. It doesnt seem to me to make that much of a difference, although it does annoy me that they are off.
Old 01-25-08, 06:19 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Yup. annoys me too. Although I'm sure they will tell me its supposed to be like that so it doesnt cause glare or something.
I never thought dash creaking(sp) sounds would bother me but every day when the weather is just right, it squeeks at every small bump. Weird part if its too cold or even too warm, I swear I dont hear it at all.
I forgot I had a shot of my lights when I had the old HID for my fogs. Hey.. they pattern seems correct.
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...123_5_full.jpg
Old 01-25-08, 08:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

my 07 gs350 is the same way. headlights are not aligned. my left headlight seems lower than the right and they dont seem like they give enough range. I have an appt in 1 wk to have that taken care of.

Quick Reply: GS350 headlight pattern- is this correct?