GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

use the NAV while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-09, 08:51 PM
hieu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face use the NAV while driving

has anyone did a update on there nav? well i did and now i cant do the nav hack while driving anymore.. where you push the volume button and top left bottom left top left bottom left then go to over ride screen. Is there another way to do it?
Old 05-25-09, 09:17 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

no....its gone and you cant go back.....time to cut wires or get the prestigious society kit....
Old 05-25-09, 09:25 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the prestigious society kit...
Old 05-25-09, 09:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i would only go with plug and play kits. email chung@prestigioussociety.com for more info
Old 05-26-09, 03:44 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 on the PS kit
Old 05-27-09, 06:34 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one more vote for PS kit. For what it's worth, before I got the kit I was able to revert back and forth between dvd v5 (finger dance override) and dvd v7 where it was lost. I tried mightily to burn a hybrid to get newer 7 maps and keep the v5 override but couldn't get the combo to work. While I was experimenting tho, I was able to 'go back ' to v 5 and get the override feature back using just the original dvd v5. I took out the map dvd, pulled the navi fuse and waited a few minutes. when I reinserted the fuse and reloaded the v5 dvd, it went back to the way it was. I know there was a lot of chatter about it at the time. I have the older Gen4 system, maybe that's why it worked.
Old 05-27-09, 06:31 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I just bought the kit from these people: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATAS...Q5fAccessories
Paid $245 plus $25 for S&H, which is $79 less then PS price. I ordered it on Sunday, May 17, and got it today, the 27th. 10 days, including the Memorial Day weekend in the middle. Their communication was excellent. They sent me several e-mails, keeping me updated, then I got a tracking #.

I installed it today, it took me about 45 min, thanks to excellent instructions here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-it-works.html

Those came very handy, because the kit came with instructions in Japanese. After installation I went out and tested everything, video, navi, phone. Everything worked. BTW I have an '08 GS350 AWD w/ML.

So, if you are willing to wait an extra week in order to save $79, this is the place to get it. Otherwise, get it from PS, they sell the same kit. I've heard nothing but good things about those folks too.

Last edited by arnieosp; 05-27-09 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 09:27 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

I vote for cutting the wires......much better IMO....you show me one thread where someone had an issue relating to cutting the wires and burning something up....
Old 05-27-09, 09:35 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I vote for cutting the wires......much better IMO....you show me one thread where someone had an issue relating to cutting the wires and burning something up....
maybe no issues with burning something up...but i do recall someone had their factory radio die on them, and needed warranty replacement. cutting the wires would have voided his warranty...
Old 05-27-09, 09:56 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-at-times.html
Old 05-27-09, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
maybe no issues with burning something up...but i do recall someone had their factory radio die on them, and needed warranty replacement. cutting the wires would have voided his warranty...
and those who actually fired stuff, are they stupid enough to post on the forum where a lot of lexus dealerships and techs actually read?
Old 05-28-09, 02:14 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arnieosp
i dont see how this is relevant to this issue.....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4475662-post15.html

he had a PS kit and had an issue, nothing related to cutting his wires....

and rominl, people post all their concerns here, I dont think Lexus service advisors comb through here trying to catch people in the act.....youre silly
Old 05-28-09, 06:12 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

and then when something goes wrong with the navi or they have to fix your dash rattles, they see the cut wires and void your electrical warranty. id rather spend 300 on a plug and play kit then spend 5k on a new nav system.

and rominl, people post all their concerns here, I dont think Lexus service advisors comb through here trying to catch people in the act.....youre silly
not true at all. i know first hand from my tech at the dealer i go to caught someone with an IS who blew up his motor with mods and tried to blame it on faulty parts and get everything placed under warranty. needless to say they found all his post here on CL and gave him a bill for a new motor.
Old 05-28-09, 06:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The bad thing about cutting the wire is that is something goes wrong and you want to bring it back to the dealer, you cannot un do it. Of course if you are out of warranty already, by the mean, cut away
Old 05-28-09, 09:19 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

the wire cut hack and the PS override kit are both methods that are tried and true.

get the wire hack method if you don't believe in spending money for a PS kit or have no fear about warranty issues.

get the PS override kit if you want to retain warranty and if cutting wires makes you nervous

in the end, everyone has to make up their own mind which method they want to choose, and face the consequences of their choices (whether it be good or bad). 2 cents

Quick Reply: use the NAV while driving