GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Service question transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 11:36 PM
gs2001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service question transmission

Hi,

I got a general question. What are the maintenance at 60,000 miles? Also I hear that you are not suppose to change the transmission fluid. I hear some people say don't change it and some say do change it. I don't have my manual. I have a 06 AWD . Thanks
Old 10-26-09, 11:58 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

check out the page 56+
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/Sedans.pdf
there are some mixed opinions, but generally i hear that our transmission is sealed and the fluid doesn't need to be changed..
Old 10-27-09, 12:00 AM
LexFather

Transmission fluid is sealed and doesn't need changing. Its a new higher grade than what Lexus has used in the past. For instance I'm running Amsoil fluid in my 2GS 430.

Welcome to CL. You can get another FREE manual here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gre...teresting.html
Old 10-27-09, 10:49 AM
spine911
Lead Lap

The current 3GS platform carries the WS transmission Fluid (World Standard AKA: longlife fluid) which does not require changing for the whole life of the transmission. The transmission is a "sealed" unit.

My old ACS E39 M5(which i changed tranny fluids regularly) also had a "sealed" tranny with "lifetime" fluid.

I called my local SoCal Lexus dealer and they told me that although the tranny unit is "sealed", and does not require fluid changing per Lexus recommendation, they've had several customers who came in to have the tranny fluid changed...According to the service tech, there are 2 types of service they can perform. 1). Drain and Fill= $175, 2).Full Flush=$270.
There is a separate drain plug that they access to drain and fill the transmission.

IMO, It depends on how long you intend to keep your car, and the current driving conditions(daily driver, weekend..etc)it is exposed to.
BTW, the term "lifetime" can mean anywhere from 1 mile - infinity ; It is a gamble, if the tranny fails within warranty-lucky you, out of warranty-sorry.
Oil is cheaper than a new engine or tranny.

For the price of $175-$270, it is a good "insurance" to change the fluid- i personally think that this price is a DEAL compared to other makes who charges an arm and a leg to get the "lifetime" tranny fluids changed.

*again, this is MY OWN personal opinion-not intended to start a firestorm...LOL

Last edited by spine911; 10-27-09 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 04:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spine911
The current 3GS platform carries the WS transmission Fluid (World Standard AKA: longlife fluid) which does not require changing for the whole life of the transmission. The transmission is a "sealed" unit.

My old ACS E39 M5(which i changed tranny fluids regularly) also had a "sealed" tranny with "lifetime" fluid.

I called my local SoCal Lexus dealer and they told me that although the tranny unit is "sealed", and does not require fluid changing per Lexus recommendation, they've had several customers who came in to have the tranny fluid changed...According to the service tech, there are 2 types of service they can perform. 1). Drain and Fill= $175, 2).Full Flush=$270.
There is a separate drain plug that they access to drain and fill the transmission.

IMO, It depends on how long you intend to keep your car, and the current driving conditions(daily driver, weekend..etc)it is exposed to.
BTW, the term "lifetime" can mean anywhere from 1 mile - infinity ; It is a gamble, if the tranny fails within warranty-lucky you, out of warranty-sorry.

For the price of $175-$270, it is a good "insurance" to change the fluid- i personally think that this price is a DEAL compared to other makes who charges an arm and a leg to get the "lifetime" tranny fluids changed.

Great post. Heat failure (the tranny fluid boiling) is the main cause of most tranny failure loss. For extra precaution one can replace with better fluid but it seems the new Lexus fluid as u stated is top notch.

Maybe add a tranny cooler too? I added one to the 2GS and many members have.
Old 10-27-09, 11:32 PM
ashley1977
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spine911

Got my 06 GS430 Drain and Fill at Newport Lexus for $75.70, I can tell the difference after refill the new oil. XD
Attached Thumbnails Service question transmission-mobile01-c5975ebddb6ec7e0376fc5c3f68be8e0.jpg  
Old 10-27-09, 11:46 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ashley1977
Got my 06 GS430 Drain and Fill at Newport Lexus for $75.70, I can tell the difference after refill the new oil. XD
Ive called a couple more Toyota and Lexus dealers today, prices do vary...
Shop around, and save.

Lesson learned (from Lexus/Toyota):

Although the 3GS has a "sealed" tranny with the WS "lifetime" fluid, the ATF IS REPLACEABLE for a nominal fee.

**IMO, i won't skimp out on the ONLY service requirement the transmission is expecting.