GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

V-LED DRL brightness during daytime?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 07:03 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default V-LED DRL brightness during daytime?

I'm struggling with the decision to pull the trigger on a set of V-LEDs for my DRLs, Parking Lights, and Fogs.

One thing that's holding me back is that there doesn't seem to be any information or any pictures out there of how they look during lighted conditions like daylight, or even garage light.

My worry is that the light output from these things would be minimal enough that it will appear that there is no light on at all. In my province, DRLs are mandatory and if it appears that I have no headlamp on during the day there is a possibility that it can be used to hassle me.

Any opinions on how visible the DRL replacements are during the day? I'm specifically looking at the "2X Brighter" SMT ones, but still, the lumens they claim on those is still a good amount less than standard halogen DRL.

I am NOT concerned about actually using the lights to see, I live in the middle of a large city and can count the number of times I had to use highbeams or fogs (for fog) in any kind of serious way on a single hand. But I don't want to get stuck with DRLs that don't even appear to be on.
Old 12-17-09, 07:21 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them on my drl/ highbeams and they are quite noticeable. I just don't recommend puttting them on the fogs. That output would not be visible on the road
Old 12-17-09, 11:39 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them on my DRL's and get compliments all the time. They look great but the light out put is minimal. I would not do the fogs.
Old 12-17-09, 12:27 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I am NOT concerned about actually using the lights to see, I live in the middle of a large city and can count the number of times I had to use highbeams or fogs (for fog) in any kind of serious way on a single hand. But I don't want to get stuck with DRLs that don't even appear to be on.
Good thing tou dont need them for high beam because you will lose your high beam if you go the LED DRL route.
Old 12-17-09, 12:42 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

id be interested on how they look on our GS any pics w/ them on, on whoever has them?
Old 12-17-09, 01:24 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
Good thing tou dont need them for high beam because you will lose your high beam if you go the LED DRL route.
Yep, I realize that.

Main thing that bugs me is not so much the DRL colour but the colour of the parking lights against the HID lowbeams. Seems you can't just throw an LED in there safely unless you also do the LED DRLs so I might be stuck.

Are there cheap standard halogen bulbs that more closely match 4300k out there that I can throw into the fogs (or parking lights for that matter)?
Old 12-17-09, 04:58 PM
LexiGS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where do you guys get the V-LEDs? do you have any websites?..thanks
Old 12-17-09, 05:24 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

V-leds.com
Old 12-17-09, 07:11 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-17-09, 08:48 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chancellor

Thanks for the picture! I didn't realize they made the light housing look like a disco ball before...

By the way looks like you have a stone chip on the edge of your hood to patch up.
Old 12-17-09, 09:37 PM
LexiGS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty nice..pretty nice!!!
Old 12-18-09, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yep, I realize that.

Main thing that bugs me is not so much the DRL colour but the colour of the parking lights against the HID lowbeams. Seems you can't just throw an LED in there safely unless you also do the LED DRLs so I might be stuck.

Are there cheap standard halogen bulbs that more closely match 4300k out there that I can throw into the fogs (or parking lights for that matter)?
You can use LED for parking light, you just need a high quality LED that will stand up to the heat. I went with the Polarg M5 194 bulb, it match the low beam pretty well.
Old 12-18-09, 05:41 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

The pics don't do it justice. U have to see in person!!!!
Old 12-18-09, 09:17 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered a hundred times... but is replacing the DRL/Parking bulb a simple reach in from the hood procedure? I can't imagine it being much of a job but...
Old 12-18-09, 10:42 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

Thanks for the picture! I didn't realize they made the light housing look like a disco ball before...

By the way looks like you have a stone chip on the edge of your hood to patch up.
Yes....disco ball was the first thing that came to mind

Quick Reply: V-LED DRL brightness during daytime?