GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - My first paid oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 06:50 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - My first paid oil change

So I brought my 450h in for its 2nd oil change today, this being my first paid service appointment. I listed two things for my dealer to look at - squeaky brakes and minor dash rattles.

The squeaky brakes were fixed under TSB 2602, and includes the following parts:
- 04945-22152 shim kit, brake
- 04465-30410 pad set, brake (front)

Here are my findings:

The Good:
Brakes don't squeal anymore. I will see in the next few months if this comes back or not. Replaced under warranty with no fuss from the dealer.

The Bad:
New brakes don't have the same "bite" as the original ones do. There is a slight degradation in pedal feel and stopping power. If you are in tune with your car's braking characteristics, you will notice that something is "different" and will know right away that your braking performance is not what it used to be. For most ordinary drivers though, the only thing they will notice is that there is no squeal, and will not notice any braking variation at all. If you are contemplating about getting the squeaky brake fix, consider whether or not you are willing to give up some braking performance for no squeaks. For me it's not a big issue, as I will go with aftermarket brake pads once these replacement pads wear out.

I get dash rattles, but only when the temperature dip to around 1 degree Celsius. They could not find the dash rattles as it obviously wasn't cold enough today. I was told to keep an eye on it and bring it back in for a fix in July when there's higher chance of the dash flexing due to heat and fix it then. Umm, I don't get dash rattles in the summer?

The Ugly:
Driving home this evening, a few dash rattles popped up (very intermittent and not enough for me to go postal). If this gets any worse, I may have to take it back to the dealer for the dash rattle TSB. I'll see....

Note: I'm not sure if Canadian TSB is the same as the US TSB, so the TSB number listed above is for us in Canada. According to my service advisor, there are 2 brake fixes, one for squeaky brakes and the other for dusty pads.

Last edited by Stormforge; 01-05-10 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 06:57 PM
alphaxcrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks! Looks like someone is going to make another trip back to the dealer.
Old 01-05-10, 11:22 PM
truongsta8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im gonna have my dash check this thursday so hopefully it will be fixed!!
Old 01-06-10, 06:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Stormforge. I was almost in the same situsation as you 2 years ago. The TSB pads doesnt not bite as hard on braking, many owners here have felt a difference.
I had to bring my GS in 3 time before they can re-produce the dash rattle. On the 3rd time, I heard the rattles driving home for lunch and immediately drove to the dealer. The dealer was nice enough to send out the foreman to ride with me while we listen for the rattles. The sad part was that the fix lasted until the next winter and the rattles cam back. They fix it again until 3 months later, then 2 more rattle pop up
Old 01-06-10, 07:51 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stormforge, you forgot to list another "ugly": the amount of money you paid the dealer for the oil change. How much is that in Canada?
Old 01-06-10, 07:53 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Is it possible the brakes dont bite as they should because the rotors were not turned. From my experience, and having a very close friend who is a mechanic, turning the rotors is crucial even if not warped or glazed. It assures the new pads dont simply grind them selves down to the old pads grooves and they seat properly and make optimum contact with the rotor. my 2 cents
Old 01-06-10, 10:12 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Is it possible the brakes dont bite as they should because the rotors were not turned. From my experience, and having a very close friend who is a mechanic, turning the rotors is crucial even if not warped or glazed. It assures the new pads dont simply grind them selves down to the old pads grooves and they seat properly and make optimum contact with the rotor. my 2 cents
good point. do you recommend that i bed the new pads, or would that make it worse?

Originally Posted by The G Man
Stormforge. I was almost in the same situsation as you 2 years ago. The TSB pads doesnt not bite as hard on braking, many owners here have felt a difference.
I had to bring my GS in 3 time before they can re-produce the dash rattle. On the 3rd time, I heard the rattles driving home for lunch and immediately drove to the dealer. The dealer was nice enough to send out the foreman to ride with me while we listen for the rattles. The sad part was that the fix lasted until the next winter and the rattles cam back. They fix it again until 3 months later, then 2 more rattle pop up
i'm hoping i don't have the same problems that you have! we'll see what happens in the next 6+ months or so....

Originally Posted by Modeler
Stormforge, you forgot to list another "ugly": the amount of money you paid the dealer for the oil change. How much is that in Canada?
including taxes, $148 Cdn dollars
Old 01-06-10, 12:02 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
including taxes, $148 Cdn dollars
Go to Toyota for service, unless they are complete goons they are perfectly capable of doing everything to your Lexus for a lot less money. I had my transmission fluid changed at Toyota for $70, Lexus quoted me $140 and that's just a drain and fill. And before anybody says why did you do that (as usual), the Canadian service schedule for the car requires that the fluid be changed to maintain your powertrain warranty contrary to the USA schedule.
Old 01-06-10, 12:38 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
do you recommend that i bed the new pads, or would that make it worse?
I dont know man. What is interesting is that when you go in for a brake job, they will ALWAYS turn the rotors and then put on pads or want to replace the rotors EXCEPT for when getting a TSB at which point they want to just slap them on....I am just saying LOL