GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Former BMW M5 owner saying hi....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 08:22 PM
GSun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Former BMW M5 owner saying hi....

Dear fellow GS enthusiasts...my name is Gene and I just wanted to drop in and say hi since I just recently became a first time Lexus owner. Long story short, had an '07 BMW M5 for about a year and recently came to my senses and decided to live more "responsibly"....lol. My wife and my 12 month-old son are enjoying the luxurious/quiet/plush/safe ide and that's all it matters to me at this juncture in my life.

I was going to purchase an '08 or '09 GS350 or 460, always loved the design of the 3rd generation, but came across an immaculate '06 GS300 with 28K miles. The interior was what sold me, not a single scratch, leather wrinkle or rattle, it could literally pass as a brand new car. The deal was too good to pass up. Coming from a 500+ hp car into a Lexus, believe me, performance was not a priority, thus an '06 GS300...but I was pleasantly surprised on how responsive the motor is. I shed a few tears leaving the dealership last weekend knowing that my time with the M5 has come, but the serene ride home in the Lexus reassured me that I've made a great choice for me and my family.

Anyways, just wanted to share my story and hoping to learn lots from you guys and make a few friends along the way! BTW, in case anyone wonders why such a drastic change, well...I'm subduing my wild side for a couple of years until the 2010 911 TT PDK comes down a bit in price... Enjoy the pics!
Attached Thumbnails Former BMW M5 owner saying hi....-079.jpg   Former BMW M5 owner saying hi....-085.jpg   Former BMW M5 owner saying hi....-078.jpg   Former BMW M5 owner saying hi....-081.jpg   Former BMW M5 owner saying hi....-083.jpg  

Old 02-15-10, 08:24 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Welcome to CL ! Alot of great information in here ! GS300 looks good !

Wow man, I envy you SO much with that M5, would love to have that car someday..
Old 02-15-10, 08:42 PM
GSun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ItsChris
Welcome to CL ! Alot of great information in here ! GS300 looks good !

Wow man, I envy you SO much with that M5, would love to have that car someday..
Thanks! The M5 sure was a visceral machine, with one touch of the "M" button, it transforms into a completely different beast...so loud and touchy, sure to get the adrenaline flowing. Unfortunately the excitement wore off on me, especially when I'm consistently getting 9-10 miles per gallon in the city and filling up every 5 days.....not to mention for a $100K car, they need to take lessons from Lexus on how to make a nice, luxurious interior.
Old 02-15-10, 08:48 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new ride, it looks new! Your family will enjoy it! Then next year you can get that porsche.
Old 02-15-10, 09:10 PM
GSun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lextron
They issue Virginia plates in Georgia

One thing about the ///M5 you won't miss is the out of warranty repair bills of $5-6k annually plus the $10k drop in resale every year. In two years on non-BMW ownership you have $30k saved - enough for a Mustang, Camaro, 350Z, SC400, or Supra- all of which can do 500+hp with a few mods.
haha..Good catch Lextron, the M5 pics were taken last year when I first bought it in VA...I've since finished residency and moved to GA. The $10K yearly depreciation is an underestimation, I lost $17,000 when I traded it in for the Lexus. I can sell for higher privately but then would have to pay sales tax plus other associated headaches of posting ads, letting others test drive..etc. It has always been a dream of mine to own an M5, now I can close that chapter and move on. All in all, no regrets.
Old 02-15-10, 09:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSun
haha..Good catch Lextron, the M5 pics were taken last year when I first bought it in VA...I've since finished residency and moved to GA. The $10K yearly depreciation is an underestimation, I lost $17,000 when I traded it in for the Lexus. I can sell for higher privately but then would have to pay sales tax plus other associated headaches of posting ads, letting others test drive..etc. It has always been a dream of mine to own an M5, now I can close that chapter and move on. All in all, no regrets.
Welcome to Clublexus! You are in GA, there is a meet next week.,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sou...enter-2pm.html
Old 02-15-10, 09:30 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to CL, Great pics of your BMW and nice pick up on the GS.
Old 02-15-10, 10:25 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Wow I have no idea how you could make such a crazy change. I went from a 545 to a GS430, only a 25 hp 5 tq difference, and that took almost a month to get used to. M5 to a car even slower than a 430 will be a hugeeeeeeeeee lifestyle change.

BTW how did you buy a M5 in residency?? I'm about to start rotations and cant even imagine being able to afford a car like that in residency!
Old 02-15-10, 10:34 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

congrats on the lexus and welcome
Old 02-15-10, 10:40 PM
GSun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1STLXS
Welcome to CL, Great pics of your BMW and nice pick up on the GS.
Thanks 1STLXS, it's good to be here!
Old 02-15-10, 10:48 PM
GSun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
Wow I have no idea how you could make such a crazy change. I went from a 545 to a GS430, only a 25 hp 5 tq difference, and that took almost a month to get used to. M5 to a car even slower than a 430 will be a hugeeeeeeeeee lifestyle change.

BTW how did you buy a M5 in residency?? I'm about to start rotations and cant even imagine being able to afford a car like that in residency!
Believe me, my heart ached and it still does, but life changes and so do priorities...looking at my son sleeping comfortably in the Lexus versus being whipped and bounced around in the M5 help to ease my parting pain...lol.

I moonlighted quite a bit in residency which helped a lot...I pulled the trigger when I had quite a bit of down payment saved up along with a year worth of monthly payments.
Old 02-15-10, 10:49 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Welcome to Club CL........BMW M5 is one of my favorite car out there today.....but you will love your 3GS for sure.
Old 02-15-10, 10:53 PM
GSun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kyang91
Welcome to Club CL........BMW M5 is one of my favorite car out there today.....but you will love your 3GS for sure.
Thanks!! Treat yourself to an M5 if you're able, life is short, play hard!
Old 02-15-10, 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow nice m5, welcome to clublexus!!!!!

i can definitely see how m5 can be a "dangerous" car to drive
Old 02-15-10, 11:21 PM
Kendrick07
Rookie

Sweet M5 and nice find on the GS! hmm is that a V10 badge I see? SMG (think 6 speed came out in 08?)? I hope I will get to own a newer M5 someday. I didn't come from a M5, but did come from an E46 M3 and what a change! Seemed like I went from a car meant to turn to a car meant to go straight. Welcome.

Quick Reply: Former BMW M5 owner saying hi....