GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Few questions about GS...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-10, 06:52 AM
yamanote
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions about GS...

My dealer just called me- they have a black/black GS450h w/Nav (non-ML) in stock Will probably sign the papers for it tomorrow

However, I was wondering about a few things:

1. I noticed that the camera does not have the 'guide lines':

(as displayed on the Crown Majesta). Was on my Crown Athlete and is on both my current cars- very useful for parking. Does anyone know how to add these guide lines, if possible?

2. Can I activate both front and rear parking sensors to work while I'm driving (beeps when a car tailgates me or if I get too close to the car in front)? On my old S-Class, only the front sensors worked when driving.

3. Any way to retrofit a blind spot assist function (beeps if there is a car in the other lane when merging to avoid/mitigate collisions)? Can the parking sensors perform this function? My old S-Class had that and did help quite a few times.

4. Is it possible to retrofit the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and the Pre-crash Safety System? Some people in the Mercedes-Benz forums have successfully retrofitted the Distronic Plus system, so... is it possible?

5. One last thing- has anyone tried replacing the trunk struts so the trunk is fully automatic like the LS (or at least pops fully open when I push the trunk button)? Not necessary (already has the assisted trunk closer I believe) but would be very cool.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-10, 08:19 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yamanote
1. I noticed that the camera does not have the 'guide lines'. Does anyone know how to add these guide lines, if possible?
The only way to add these guidelines is to replace the backup camera system with an after-market one which will cost around $800 according to my custom electronics guy. Personally I find it disappointing that Toyota didn't put those guidelines on the GS when the technology exists within their supplier base. They are really bad at keeping their cars up to date which is why they were selling cars with casette decks as recently as 2009.

2. Can I activate both front and rear parking sensors to work while I'm driving (beeps when a car tailgates me or if I get too close to the car in front)? On my old S-Class, only the front sensors worked when driving.
Sensors disactivate at higher speeds. but even at city speeds when they are active, the range of the sensor likely would not pick up tailgaters. The rear sensors are on whenever the front sensors are on on the Lexus. They aren't only engaged in reverse.

3. Any way to retrofit a blind spot assist function (beeps if there is a car in the other lane when merging to avoid/mitigate collisions)? Can the parking sensors perform this function? My old S-Class had that and did help quite a few times.
Parking sensors can't do this. But you can retrofit. Again you need to find a good custom electronics shop like the one I use in WPB.

4. Is it possible to retrofit the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and the Pre-crash Safety System? Some people in the Mercedes-Benz forums have successfully retrofitted the Distronic Plus system, so... is it possible?
No. This requires too much integration with the engine and brake management systems and cannot be done as retrofit.

. One last thing- has anyone tried replacing the trunk struts so the trunk is fully automatic like the LS (or at least pops fully open when I push the trunk button)? Not necessary (already has the assisted trunk closer I believe) but would be very cool.
Not that I am aware of, but I would think this is doable. I've seen it retrofitted on other cars.
Old 07-13-10, 09:04 AM
yamanote
Driver

Originally Posted by batman75
The only way to add these guidelines is to replace the backup camera system with an after-market one which will cost around $800 according to my custom electronics guy. Personally I find it disappointing that Toyota didn't put those guidelines on the GS when the technology exists within their supplier base. They are really bad at keeping their cars up to date which is why they were selling cars with casette decks as recently as 2009.

Ah, okay. Seeing how a 5 year old Toyota has this, I wonder what they were thinking when they designed the backup camera system for the GS

Sensors disactivate at higher speeds. but even at city speeds when they are active, the range of the sensor likely would not pick up tailgaters. The rear sensors are on whenever the front sensors are on on the Lexus. They aren't only engaged in reverse.

So all they would do is prevent me from scraping against stuff like lamps on streets? Better than nothing I guess...

Parking sensors can't do this. But you can retrofit. Again you need to find a good custom electronics shop like the one I use in WPB.

Can you point me to where I can buy these sensors? Any brands in particular? Searching for 'blind spot assist' on Google only shows pages describing the technology.

No. This requires too much integration with the engine and brake management systems and cannot be done as retrofit.

Ah, okay.

Not that I am aware of, but I would think this is doable. I've seen it retrofitted on other cars.

Can you point me to where I can get the struts? The only electric boot closer retrofits I can find are for Volkwagens and Audis
Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 07-13-10, 11:18 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

You should contact a custom car electronics shop for suggestions on vendors. The one I use is Technicar in West Palm Beach.

I don't know specific equipment vendors since these aren't upgrades I have considered. If I spend more on car electronics the next thing I will buy is an electrochromic license plate cover which can white out at the flick of a switch.
Old 07-13-10, 08:51 PM
redwhisky
Driver

with nav non ML...thats a new one to me.
Old 07-13-10, 09:16 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I have a 2009 GS460 and my backup camera has the guidelines. Very useful I must admit.
Old 07-14-10, 05:01 AM
yamanote
Driver

Originally Posted by redwhisky
with nav non ML...thats a new one to me.
Most dealers in the US order ML along with Nav and non-ML w/Nav units are 'special order only' based on posts in this forum. I would like ML but unfortunately it isn't available as an option in Hong Kong.

EDIT: Should probably clarify- we have two versions for the GS450h here- 'Elegance' and 'Deluxe'. The basic Elegance model is just a basic run-of-the-mill GSh and all the 'Deluxe' model adds is DVD-based voice-activated navigation (yeah, no HDD nav for us).

Originally Posted by designo
I have a 2009 GS460 and my backup camera has the guidelines. Very useful I must admit.
Can you post a picture? I'm curious as to see what it looks like

Thanks!

Last edited by yamanote; 07-14-10 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-14-10, 06:31 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

do you live in Hong Kong? if so, the back up camera on the GS should have the guide lines then. I believe only the USDM GS does not have the lines.
Old 07-14-10, 06:44 AM
yamanote
Driver

Are you sure? The GSh I test drove last week did not have the guide lines. The only 'lines' on the backup camera display were the 'Check surroundings for safety' text

Not sure if the car I drove was the '09 or '10 model, but it had the 'facelifted' grille (large silver bars, diagonal).

EDIT: Oh yeah, I live in Hong Kong.
Old 07-14-10, 06:47 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

hmmm.. i could of sworn it does. i remember a thread about this a while back. i could be wrong but i thought it does.
Old 07-14-10, 08:12 AM
yamanote
Driver

I'm going over to the Lexus dealer tomorrow and I'll check, but I doubt that it has the lines- the Parking Assist image in the catalog doesn't have the 'lines'.

Wonder why they would remove it from the US version
Old 07-16-10, 08:38 AM
yamanote
Driver

Went over to the Lexus dealer today and drove the GSh again. No guidance lines in the backup camera.

On the bright(er) side, I'll be taking delivery of a black/black GS450h with nav next week

One thing I was wondering about- the car has a USB port, and from what I understand, I can plug in my iPod with the USB cable and select albums etc from the factory touchscreen as if it was from the built-in HDD- am I correct? What else can I do with the USB port? Can I plug in a hard drive filled with MP3/WMA files and select/play songs from it?

Thanks!

Last edited by yamanote; 07-16-10 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-16-10, 09:09 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

My US model 2009 GS460 with ML does not have lines on the backup camera. Maybe the 2010 models do, but not 2009.

If I'm wrong let me know and I will drive right over to the dealer and ask them to fix it.
Old 07-16-10, 09:10 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by designo
You may have found the one feature the Middle-East spec car has that the US spec car does not.
Old 07-17-10, 08:34 AM
yamanote
Driver

One thing about the voice command I'm wondering about- as I understand it, I can input addresses while driving but only by voice, correct?

If so, how do you input the street name? Can you simply say the entire street name (Main Street) or do you have to spell out the name (M-A-I-N S-T-R-E-E-T)? Same for numbers- can I just say the entire number (twenty-eight) or do I have to spell out the entire number (TWO-EIGHT)?

My Mercedes had the whole street name input feature removed (for some reason they removed it from the Hong Kong-spec vehicles) and that was pretty annoying.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Few questions about GS...