GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

window tint - rear defroster question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 11:10 AM
loccsta187
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

son of a....
Old 05-18-11, 11:13 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Just get it checked by a dealer to makesure and then bring the proof, of that being the reason so you can prove your point, and make the tint company pay.
Old 05-18-11, 11:34 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like he scrubbed too hard and took out a bunch of defroster lines. What I remember reading is that they use fine steel wool to scrub. I would think any metal could take those out.

I def learned something from this. I need to get my tint removed one of these days, and I'm gonna take a 'before' pic as evidence, just in case, and warn the installer.

my question is, don't they have detergents like goop off that can easily remove adhesive residue without hard scrubbing ?
Old 05-18-11, 11:34 AM
loccsta187
Driver

well i just checked from the inside, the lines are still there but it seems like its where the lines used to be,

they did get ripped off.... im taking it back to the tint installer today... im so fu*king choked!!!!
Old 05-18-11, 12:21 PM
turbon50
Driver

Originally Posted by loccsta187
well i just checked from the inside, the lines are still there but it seems like its where the lines used to be,

they did get ripped off.... im taking it back to the tint installer today... im so fu*king choked!!!!

Let us know how this goes because when I looked at my tint, there are similar dark spots like yours. How can I find out if the defroster is working if I got no fogged window? It's sad that there are so many ***** ups here.
Old 05-18-11, 12:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

no doubt about it. he scrubbed off your defrosters.
it's pretty clear in your pics.

i just checked my back glass and all lines are orange. no dark lines.

Originally Posted by turbon50
Let us know how this goes because when I looked at my tint, there are similar dark spots like yours. How can I find out if the defroster is working if I got no fogged window?
throw a bunch of crushed ice on there.

you should also be able to feel by hand. if there are cold spots on the glass, you'd know.
Old 05-18-11, 12:38 PM
turbon50
Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
no doubt about it. he scrubbed off your defrosters.
it's pretty clear in your pics.

i just checked my back glass and all lines are orange. no dark lines.

throw a bunch of crushed ice on there.

you should also be able to feel by hand. if there are cold spots on the glass, you'd know.
Feel the lines by hand on the inside? What I don't understand though is how can we still see the line (just much darker) if it was scrubbed off? Either way, it looks jacked.

Last edited by turbon50; 05-18-11 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-18-11, 01:58 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbon50
Feel the lines by hand on the inside? What I don't understand though is how can we still see the line (just much darker) if it was scrubbed off? Either way, it looks jacked.
it wasn't scrubbed off completely, but enough to F it up.
Old 05-18-11, 02:25 PM
turbon50
Driver

it wasn't scrubbed off completely, but enough to F it up.
ah well I guess I have to go and test mine today. Either way it really looks crappy this way.
Old 05-18-11, 03:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

looks like he scrubbed too hard and took out a bunch of defroster lines. What I remember reading is that they use fine steel wool to scrub. I would think any metal could take those out.

I def learned something from this. I need to get my tint removed one of these days, and I'm gonna take a 'before' pic as evidence, just in case, and warn the installer.

my question is, don't they have detergents like goop off that can easily remove adhesive residue without hard scrubbing ?
i wonder about the same too. searching around, people just keep on saying use razor blade or so, why not use googone or adhesive remover to take out those adhesive?
Old 05-19-11, 08:02 AM
loccsta187
Driver

so i went back to him and hes pretty much denying that peeling it off did this....
he told me to verify it with other tint shops that 1 week old tint wont remove the defrost lines if peeled....

well i called a tint shop and they said if you dont use heat or steam then yes it can rip it off

heres the thing, i took a picture with my phone of the tinting error he did before he took it off.... but i deleted the picture on my phone... im trying like 10 different photo recovery programs to possibly bring that picture back... if i can, then i have photo proof!!!!!
Old 05-19-11, 08:07 AM
loccsta187
Driver

does anyone here have 35% on the back of their SILVER lexus gs430.... if so, you want to take a picture of the left hand side of your rear window?

my photo recovery program only got half the picture, the other half is messed up (its just grey)
Old 05-19-11, 12:26 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

did you confirm defroster failure?

if you leave it on for 10 minutes, do you feel any heat on the back glass?
Old 05-19-11, 12:30 PM
loccsta187
Driver

nothing at all, my windows are fogged up every morning, only my side mirrors will defog, i have left it on until it comes off, and then press button again and once again nothing

i looked on the back and saw 2 unfogged dots (dime sized) in the middle of the glass on the far left and far right sides, which means theres still power going to the window but not to the grid

(looks like this)
O ------------------------------- O

O ------------------------------- O
Old 05-19-11, 07:53 PM
Av_SiCk
Driver School Candidate

As a window tinter myself, I gonna have to say that the defroster is damaged, the correct way to remove the rear tint without damaging the defroster is by steaming it, there should be no scrapping whatsoever involved, if you steam it, the tint will literally peel off and leave no residue and leav the defroster unharmed,

Quick Reply: window tint - rear defroster question