GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What problems are you having with your GX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 06:10 PM
mitsu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What problems are you having with your GX?

I thought I would start a thread to take an inventory of all the problems that owners are experiencing or have experienced with their GX. My goal is to find out how common these problems are.

My problems are:

1: Vibration between 1700rpm-2200rpm. Very annoying!!
2: Raunchy sounding vibration in either driveline or transmission between 55 - 65mph. Also is within 1700rpm -2200rpm range.
3: Very poor gas mileage (approximately 11mpg City / 15 Hwy)
4: Transmission often does not shift or shifting is abnormally delayed.
5: Transmission "kicks" or "lunges" vehicle forward when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. Feels like you got hit from behind VERY HARD.
6: Clunk in rear diriveshaft when coming to a stop and brake is released. Also feels as if being hit from behind.
7: Rear shocks bottom out when driving over speed bumps or dips in the road.

Please feel free to list your problems as well. This should be very interesting.

Last edited by mitsu; 10-27-03 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-28-03, 03:09 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

My problems with my GX are

1) clunk from the drive train after a complete stop then releasing the brakes.
2) bottoms out on bumps and dips. I wonder if the LX470 does the same thing. My brother owns a land crusier said it dosen't bottom out or bottom out less abruptly.
3) creaking driver and passender front seats and rattling glove compartment.
4) I have the vibration problem too, but dosen't seem to be exessive.
5) inaccurate out side temperature display
6) Navigation voice keeps interrupting itself.

Charleston
Old 10-28-03, 04:04 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking problems

I guess that I'm one of the lucky ones. I have had my GX for over 2 months with NO problems. "Knock on wood" I don't get any of the issues that you guys have! I have not experienced any of the listed issues that have been identified.
Old 10-28-03, 04:51 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

It would be useful on when you get your vehicle. If it is an early build that is one thing, but if it just came off the line..well that would be no good.
Old 10-28-03, 06:07 AM
tella
Driver

Default My 2003 GX-Just one issue/one problem

Hello,
My 2003 GX has shown just one problem since the day I got it. Inaccurate outside temp reading; even though the temp sensor was changed twice within the first 6 months perion. I address this problem to Lexus dealership and the corporate headquarters, but both agencies gave the same answer:'' Lexus is aware of the problem, but there is no fix yet. We will keep you posted". And of course, the Gross Total Weight sticker exchange. Beyond these two problems I did not experienced anything else. I have a little over 5k miles on the suv. Still a happy GX owner.
Old 10-28-03, 06:12 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My List

[list=1][*] Vehicle clunking after stop, feels like you are hit from behind[*] Driveline vibration between 55-75mph, with around 5-15% throttle (normal throttle conditions)[*] Transmission takes took long to shift to drive. When cold (below 45), put vehicle in reverse, back up, then in drive, vehicle sounds like it has shifted but has not. Takes 3 full seconds before shift completes. Attempt to driveaway before this 3 seconds expires and your in for a banging surprise.[*] Braking unsafe due to suspension dive and squat [*] Vehicle squirelly in jostling road conditions[*] Vehicle seems to sway on highway in light wind conditions (5mph)[*] Rear suspension bottoms out on road during light conditions. Low speed and on highway[*] Smell of burnt antifreeze after stopping vehicle[*] Transmission holds 1st gear or low, around intersection turn resulting in a lunge forward upon acceleration out. Typically right hand turns as they are slower.[*] Transmission down shifts (lower gear) unexpectedly at around 40-50mph when applying light brakes (may be related to above)[*] Outdoor temperature is off[*] MPG is off, checked against full gas tank[*] A/C compressor clicks on and off very frequently[*] Navigation System voice guidance mode will not turn off, even when set to do so.[*] Vehicle under 6000lb GVWR. This causes unexpectedly tax implications[/list=1]

Last edited by looknow12; 10-28-03 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-28-03, 06:51 AM
mitsu
Driver School Candidate

Mine is a later build. It's exactly the same as the current 2004. Looks like Lexus has not done anything to correct the problems between the earlier builds and later builds.
Old 10-28-03, 08:59 AM
modelaford
Driver

Unhappy

First GX, Dunlop tires Build date Dec. 02 NOTE: Both vehicals have the wind sway problem although the Michlin tires have eliminated a lot of it on the second GX. (possibly stiffer sidewalls)

1. severe vibration at 1700-2200 RPM
2. steady humming noise and vibration, 60-75 MPH
3. outside temp gauge way off
4. fuel milage 12 on a good day, without city driving which is 9-10
5. Thunk in rear (like getting hit in the rear)
6. Transmission jumps under light throttle mostly cold but also warm at times. Must wait 15 seconds after putting in gear before pushing throttle otherwise it will not move than all of a sudden rockets forward.

Second GX, Mitchlin tires, Build date August 03

1. Moderate vibration, 1700-2200 RPM,
2. Hum and vibration at 60-70 MPH
3. Fuel milage 15 highway, 13 city driving. Thinking of adding aux tank in trunk 100 gal lol.
4. Outside temp off
5. trans slip then clunks into gear if throttled right away (mostly cold)
6. Thunk like gettin hit in rear end at times usually sitting at stop after the stop.
7. Third seats rattles so bad when in the stored position took the SOB out.
8. Plastic fender flares and bumpers do not match the paint,( posibble painted separate)

Last edited by modelaford; 10-28-03 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-28-03, 10:45 AM
Cessna172
Driver

First GX May 03' build:

1. Vibration at 1200 to 2000 RPM at all speeds
2. Thump feeling after making a stop
3. Slack in driveline which causes a not so smooth initial take-off roll
4. Brake pedal inconsistant ; some times feels strong and firm, other times feels soft and mushy
5. Outside temp. sensor way off
6. A/C compressor went out
7. Transmission takes a couple of seconds to be comfortable in 1st fron reverse to tak-off other wise there is a clunck into gear when taking-off

Second GX July 03' build:
1. Vibration at 1200 to 2000 RPM at all speeds
2. Humming sound in that same RPM range (oh goody a brand new sound!!! NOT)
3. Thump feeling after making a stop (although not as bad as the first GX)
4. Slack in driveline which causes a not so smooth initial take-off roll (intermitant)
5. Brake pedal inconsistant ; some times feels strong and firm, other times feels soft and mushy
(Pedal feels strong again if you pump the pedal twice then appy brakes)
6. Mark Levinson Amp. not as strong as first GX, sound isn't as loud or clear
7. Squeaking noise coming from rear of car when cold
8. Transmission smooth as silk some times and rough around the edges and not so smooth at other times
9. Transmission take a couple of second to firmly be in 1st from reverse otherwise there is a clunck into gear when taking-off.
10. Rear suspension bottoms out in "comfort" & "semi-comfort" modes
11. Vehicle drifts to the left when accelarating and drives straight when no throttle is applied (alignment is right on) (might be a tire belt shift problem)
Old 10-28-03, 10:56 AM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

Default problems problems problems!

Mine is a later build. Currently 2,100 miles on odometer. Most of the serious problems began after the first 500 miles or so.

Problems:

1: Lexus management and Lexus Customer service polite BUT very dishonest and poor at satisfactory resolutions. Basically they deny problems and politely tell you "tough sh%t"
2: 1700-220rpm vibration.
3: Extremely harsh drive train especially when driving between 55-65mph.
4: Transmission very harsh when vehicle gets hot
5: Transmission at times does not shift or shift is very delayed especially when vehicle gets hot.
6: Transmission downshifts unexpectedly.
7: Transmission sometimes slips and kicks into gear causing vehicle to lunge forward. Sometimes feels like hit from behind.
8: Vibration at 55-65 mph in the form of a loud humming that is heard and felt.
9 Clunk in rear end after coming to a stop. Feels like being hit from behind.
10: Navigation system often gives confused voice commands.
11: Voice activated system does not work and is useless.
12: Outside temperature guage very innacurate.
13: Fuel economy guage very innacurate.
14: Fuel economy very bad. About 13mpg 50/50 city/hwy.
15. Rear suspension bottoms out over dips, speedbumps, etc
16: Creaking seats.

The list is just too long. Probably a few more that I forgot.

I used to love my GX . I'm sorry but I can't say that anymore. It has turned out to be my biggest nightmare. Constantly back and forth from the dealer.
Old 10-28-03, 11:10 AM
Cessna172
Driver

I think once people who respond to this thread are done, we should print it out and forward it to one of the head execs at Lexus HQ and see if we get a response.

I mean Attn: it directly to a higher up and send it Federal Express so it can be tracked and see who signs for it.

It is up to us to get the message to Lexus that we are making a stand and this is un-acceptable.

If you all want, I will represent Club Lexus Forum and find out who this should be sent to and file a complaint and demand that we get straight answers to all of these problems.

Last edited by Cessna172; 10-28-03 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-28-03, 12:57 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default let's not get ahead of ourselves

Originally posted by Cessna172
I think once people who respond to this thread are done, we should print it out and forward it to one of the head execs at Lexus HQ and see if we get a response.

I mean Attn: it directly to a higher up and send it Federal Express so it can be tracked and see who signs for it.

It is up to us to get the message to Lexus that we are making a stand and this is un-acceptable.

If you all want, I will represent Club Lexus Forum and find out who this should be sent to and file a complaint and demand that we get straight answers to all of these problems.
Guys a couple of things

1) while I think it is a good idea that we all list our common problems so that we can proactively find a solution (i.e. get Lexus to listen) I think you should all be aware that someone from Lexus Corporate is a member of this board and does read the posts (so they are aware of the issues)

2) while we also appreciate everyone's desire to get things done it is entirely inapproriate for any member to send anything to Lexus Corporate or any other company for that matter on behalf of ClubLexus, without the express written consent of the site owner or administrator.

3) I've gotta be honest here too, I have the clunk after braking and while it annoys me I'm not going back and forth tho the dealer for it. I don't have the vibration issue or I do and it just doesn't bother me and as far as the bottoming out goes I've noticed that too, but what honestly what type of fix do you guys expect for that.

Creaking seats, fuel economy and fuel economy gauge, wind drift...c'mon now aren't we all getting a little extreme here it's a Lexus yeah, but we bought a very un-aerodynamic truck with a big V-8, get over it and you'll be a lot happier about your purchase. If you wanted fuel economy and a car-like ride you should've gotten an RX. This forum is turning into nothing but a whine and complain forum and it is getting really played.
Old 10-28-03, 01:18 PM
LexFather

No thank you. How about becoming a paid member first? Ethan, Dave, the ClubLexus administration should be the ONLY people representing. And maybe PM Static911 (Ethan), he talks to Lexus corp. on the regular. That is how he got the awesome Team Lexus event in Cali for example. Give him your feedback about your GX. It is unfortuanate what is happening here.