GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

This is what dealer told me about vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 10:18 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default This is what dealer told me about vibration...

I was in this morning talking about the GX and he told me that all of the talk on the vibration problem is due to people either chroming the factory wheels or adding aftermarket wheels to the GX. He said this shows how sensitive the steering is. Bunch of bull? Also, he said the "clunk" can be adjusted if it arises. He knew about the problems but suggested they are all correctable. Also he said that the roll-sensing curtain airbags would be available in the Spring, same time as the new suspension. I thought the new rollover airbags came out in November? Can anyone please give me the correct information?!?! Thanks a ton!!!
Old 10-29-03, 10:58 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vibration has nothing, I repeat nothing to do with the wheels and tires. It's a driveline issue plain and simple. Chroming? He's covering. Repeat after me - the wheels and tires are not to blame.....
Old 10-29-03, 11:52 AM
modelaford
Driver

If thats the case they better recall all their friggin FACTORY wheels. ROTFFLMAO

Last edited by modelaford; 10-29-03 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-29-03, 02:43 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

I obviously tend to agree with people on here and trust them much more than the dealer about these issues. It makes you wonder if these issues affect ALL vehicles but just some people are more aware of how perfect these vehicles should be when you are paying $53,000. I never heard of problems like these ever on RXs or LXs.
Old 10-29-03, 06:07 PM
degeester
Rookie

For the 9 months I owed a GX, I had the clunking problem but never the vibration problem. I will take delivery of my 2004 LX within a week and I'll let you know if there is a similar problems.
Old 11-10-03, 10:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Reply to Johnny mo, moderator

Johnny, I agree that this forum cannot be used just as a whine and complain list, but all these GX owners with vibration and thumping problems need to make their case here.....and the number of these almost identical complaints from GX owners TELLS us something. This is something that cannot just be fluffed off, whether by the forum moderator or anybody else. These GX problems are going to HAVE to be dealt with. Now.....Lexus prides itself in its advertising on "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection". That perfection does NOT include just cars, or car-based SUV's. While I agree that it is unrealistic to expect the ride from a truck-based SUV...( the GX is, of course, a redone 4Runner )....to be a smooth or as vibration-free as that of a Camry-based RX300 or 330, the fact is that a Lexus.....ANY Lexus......should be refined, smooth, and quiet. PERIOD. If it is not, then the engineers have not properly done their jobs. And if they have NOT done their jobs, then that is a COMPANY problem, not just "whining" from the ClubLexus members...of which I myself am proud to be one of, thank you.
Old 11-10-03, 01:58 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I didn't read that post carefully enough, but I think Jonny Mo's post was addressed to members who even complained about GX's fuel comsumption and wind drift ...

Last edited by super_cjc; 11-10-03 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-10-03, 02:29 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Complaints

Originally posted by super_cjc
Maybe I didn't read that post carefully enough, but I think Jonny Mo's post was addressed to members who even complained about GX's fuel comsumption and wind drift ...
Yes that is where my comments were directed thanks super_cjc for clarifying.

As for the forum and membership goes, things are pretty loose with the term membership. But while we are on the subject if you are willing to use CL as a forum to complain and hope that it gets noticed by Lexus Corp. then I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that you become paid members. There's alot of valuable information on CL and bandwidth costs money. Why is that those who complain like to do it on a free ride? We are not promoting censorship and trying to keep things "fluffed-off", but keep in mind this is a private ENTHUSIAST forum, not a generic internet bulletin board site.
Old 11-11-03, 08:50 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

To be quite honest, I am sick and tired of hearing about all of these problems associated with the GX. I do not ever remember a Lexus vehicle that people have had this many issues with. If so, what vehicle would that be? Anyway, I'm ditching the idea of buying a GX because I don't want the headache, so I went down and ordered a new 04 LX470 with everything, figured I can't go wrong there since it is a proven vehicle.
Old 11-11-03, 07:49 PM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

Couple questions please:

Why was the title of this thread changed from "This is what dealer told me about vibration" to "This is what dealer told me... "

??

While we are on this subject, why was the thread entitled "04 Vibrations and breaking problems fixed??" changed to "04 GX owners, feedback please."

??

Also, in the thread entitled "vibration issues (combined)" found here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&pagenumber=1, Cessna172 and others refer to posts by user: "tnlcao". Funny thing is, all tnlcao's posts seem to have been deleted from the forums. The only thing left of them are just remnants such as quotes but i cannot find ANY of these posts in ANY thread of any forum. Where have they gone?

Maybe there is a logical explanation for these things. I would hate to think that there is any censorship going on.

Last edited by DSW; 11-11-03 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-11-03, 09:44 PM
calvis
Driver School Candidate

Now that you mentioned it....I did post a reply to a message in this forum about different wheels that you can put on the GX. In my message I put a link to a site displaying the wheels that I saw on a GX470 around here locally. The link to the site was also selling the wheels, so maybe that is why it was deleted.

I was positive that I posted the message, but I could never find it again.

What gives? Anyone knows?

Originally posted by DSW
Couple questions please:

Why was the title of this thread changed from "This is what dealer told me about vibration" to "This is what dealer told me... "

??

While we are on this subject, why was the thread entitled "04 Vibrations and breaking problems fixed??" changed to "04 GX owners, feedback please."

??

Also, in the thread entitled "vibration issues (combined)" found here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&pagenumber=1, Cessna172 and others refer to posts by user: "tnlcao". Funny thing is, all tnlcao's posts seem to have been deleted from the forums. The only thing left of them are just remnants such as quotes but i cannot find ANY of these posts in ANY thread of any forum. Where have they gone?

Maybe there is a logical explanation for these things. I would hate to think that there is any censorship going on.
Old 11-12-03, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Reply to members and moderator.

OK...I'll agree with the moderator here....and stick to his wishes. I still think that the GX vibration problem needs to be aired, but he is right...we are devoting too much time and space to it. The moderator is also right that this is a private forum with non-paying members...let's keep it that way.
Old 11-12-03, 09:02 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by calvis
Now that you mentioned it....I did post a reply to a message in this forum about different wheels that you can put on the GX. In my message I put a link to a site displaying the wheels that I saw on a GX470 around here locally. The link to the site was also selling the wheels, so maybe that is why it was deleted.

I think that there is more to this than is being let on. We all know Lexus corporate is reading these forums, we also know that some of the Mods. here work for or know people that work for Lexus. I think that Lexus corporate is influencing some to keep them from getting a bad reputation.

The facts are the that the GX was released before it was ready to be released. Yes, Lexus in general is Top Notch, but I think time will show that the GX was a failure release and shows the consequences of not doing the proper R&D before release.

Then to top it off they release the 04' without addressing and fixing the issues.

Looking at all the other Lexus vehicle forums, there is not even close to the problems/complaints that the GX is getting.

Overall Lexus vehicles are some of the best out there, but the GX is not one of them.

They have a great beginning, but I think they should take a year off and work out all the issues and re-release it as an 05' or 06'

Just my .02

Of course I'm sure this post will be censored away soon.
Old 11-12-03, 09:02 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default tnlcao

Originally posted by calvis

Hmm it's funny there is a post responding to a tnlcao, but I don't see any of his other posts. As moderators we could delete posts but as a rule of thumb we don't (unless of course they break forum rules) and even in that instance we simply move them to a Moderators only section so that we can track any offending members continued rule breaking. The original author can also delete or edit a post. Only the moderator of a particular forum can delete within that forum, but admins and super-moderators have all access. I will check with the rest of the moderators to try and get an explanation. It is also entirely possible that the author requested the moderators to delete the posts. We have had some members who work for dealers and would rather not have their employers know what they have posted here.
Old 11-12-03, 09:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally posted by Cessna172
I think that there is more to this than is being let on. We all know Lexus corporate is reading these forums, we also know that some of the Mods. here work for or know people that work for Lexus. I think that Lexus corporate is influencing some to keep them from getting a bad reputation.

Of course I'm sure this post will be censored away soon.
Please, let's stop the idiotic conspiracy theory stuff... There is ONE current moderator that works for Lexus as a master technician at a dealership, and another whose wife works for them. Not exactly a heavy influence on our forum... I wish we had MORE people connected with Lexus on CL because they truly benefit our members with their knowledge about how the organization works, or their technical understanding of our Lexus automobiles.

This site has never received any financial support from Lexus or Toyota Corporation. CL moderators very rarely delete any threads that break the rules of our forum, we typically edit and lock them so members know what the issue was. If I personally delete a post (happens once or twice a month) I always PM the member and let them know that I did it and why - ususally for advertising or nudity. Our moderators DO try to keep the posts productive and will chip in to direct the conversation or merge threads with the same topics.

I did some digging on the member "tnlcao" posts as above and can't find anything other than one post he made. I've never heard of this member personally, but I do see exactly what you are talking about with the quote of his post that is no longer there. I don't know of any moderator that would have had any reason to remove that post based on the content of the post, perhaps the member did. Tnicao hasn't been online since 2003-06-20 12:43:49

DSW - We sometimes change thread titles to make them more descriptive. The two examples you gave don't seem to do that and I'll change them back.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-12-03 at 10:12 AM.